the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

I absolutely adore Roald Dahl & believe that the pairing of his magical writing with Quentin Blake's fantastic illustrations is sheer brilliance!

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

Oh man, Roald Dahl is the best.  He owned my childhood.

dragonboy

QuoteOh man, Roald Dahl is the best.  He owned my childhood.
Knowing this & also knowing that you too are a fan of the '2nd best looking man that ever lived' TM  I'm sure that you are just as excited about this one as I am! Only 2 more years to go  ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432283/
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

tomEisenbraun

No way! That looks like it'll be awesome!

I'm currently working on some relatively heavy stuff:

I. Bernard Cohen's "The Birth of a New Physics" and
Einstein's "Relativity: Special and General Theories"

needless to say, it's taking some big effort.

I'll be delving into "Lies My Teacher Told Me" before too awfully long, too. anyone else read this one?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

colleen

QuoteOh man, Roald Dahl is the best.  He owned my childhood.

I think the BFG (big friendly giant) is my favorite. Never saw the movie that was made of it, though.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

whothrewthecake

roald dahl still rules the planet. when i read him in my classroom the kids LISTEN. they respect the roald

MarkW

QuoteLast one was No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  I can't recommend it highly  enough.
Picked that up from the library this afternoon, can't wait to start it.

How did you find it, Red?  

I have just finished The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy.  What a fantastic book - I started it yesterday afternoon, had to go out for the evening, but finished it on my return.  It's both claustrophobic and harrowing, but the sparcity of his prose (particularly the rendition of conversation) draws you along.

I've got to read some more McCarthy.  These two books are mesmerising.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

red

I've actually just put it on the back burner for now.  I was in the mall yesterday and didn't realize that Khaled Hosseini has a second novel out, so I picked that up and going to start it today.  The Kite Runner is one of my favorite books in recent memory, so I'm really excited.

Then it's Cormac time!

whothrewthecake

QuoteLast one was No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  I can't recommend it highly  enough.
Picked that up from the library this afternoon, can't wait to start it.

How did you find it, Red?  

I have just finished The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy.  What a fantastic book - I started it yesterday afternoon, had to go out for the evening, but finished it on my return.  It's both claustrophobic and harrowing, but the sparcity of his prose (particularly the rendition of conversation) draws you along.

I've got to read some more McCarthy.  These two books are mesmerising.

the road is one of the best books i've EVER read. i mean that. it's amazing. check out child of god by cormac, too. i just started it but it's intense

dragonboy

Was just talking about Little Children in the movie thread, anybody read Tom Perrotta's Joe College?

mjkoehler

QuoteWas just talking about Little Children in the movie thread, anybody read Tom Perrotta's Joe College?

To carry over, it's in my stack of books that have to read. It's sadly growing rather large. With work and trying to learn to play, reading has taken a back seat. The person that recommanded him to me years ago thought this was his best one.

dragonboy

QuoteWas just talking about Little Children in the movie thread, anybody read Tom Perrotta's Joe College?

To carry over, it's in my stack of books that have to read. It's sadly growing rather large. With work and trying to learn to play, reading has taken a back seat. The person that recommanded him to me years ago thought this was his best one.
Cheers MJ, I'll look out for it...

MarkW

the road is one of the best books i've EVER read. i mean that. it's amazing. check out child of god by cormac, too. i just started it but it's intense

Thanks, Cakemeister - I'll make it the next one I read.  I may just read The Road again, though - I agree it's a fantastic book.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Kel

i am currently reading Sex Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

red

Quotei am currently reading Sex Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
I really liked a lot of that, but to me some of it just fell flat and it felt like a chore to get through.  The Woody Allen chapter is amazing.

Kel

Quotei am currently reading Sex Drugs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
I really liked a lot of that, but to me some of it just fell flat and it felt like a chore to get through.  The Woody Allen chapter is amazing.

some chapters bore me a little.  where it seems like he's really just indulging himself for the sake of indulging himself ( :-?)

but the chapters that are great are GREAT.  kind of like he's writing what you've always been thinking.  he's a pretty good writer.

IAmB

I have recently read Ishmael by daniel quinn. the book is amazing, it made me re think the way i live. Since then i have read a few more of quinn's books. It also inspired the Pearl Jam album Yield.

bassmcmaster

QuoteI have recently read Ishmael by daniel quinn. the book is amazing, it made me re think the way i live. Since then i have read a few more of quinn's books. It also inspired the Pearl Jam album Yield.
Seconded.  Amazing book, and album.

ali

QuoteI absolutely adore Roald Dahl & believe that the pairing of his magical writing with Quentin Blake's fantastic illustrations is sheer brilliance!

with you on this one db... my favourite was bfg.... i remember the witches scaring the crap out of me early in primary school too

just started:
i wouldn't start from here (a misguided tour of the early 21st century) - andrew mueller.... looks quite intriguing so far

if anyone loves nick hornby, i'd recommend housekeeping vs the dirt, a small book containing excerpts from his columns.... very funny, lots of ranting... classic hornby
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ali

Quote'2nd best looking man that ever lived'

if george is only no. 2, who is no.1???

(i know a certain mr depp who might just pip mr coolness clooney for the post!!!)
love a song for the way it makes you feel