the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizKing531

Reading

50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship - by Salvador Dali

Quite interesting, sometimes hard to follow - Dali has quite an interesting view of many things.  Its a short read - I recommend it anyone interested in the arts.

primushead

Just finished reading this.  It really kicks the Bush administration in the nuts and backs it up with facts on how they pretty much dropped the ball on fighting terrorism.  It leaves you feeling very, very scared.

Really a great read.  And the author knows his stuff.

megisnotreal

kaley, i recommend cat's cradle or god bless you, mr. rosewater

fitzcarraldo

QuoteLast one was No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  I can't recommend it highly  enough.
Picked that up from the library this afternoon, can't wait to start it.

How did you find it, Red?  

I have just finished The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy.  What a fantastic book - I started it yesterday afternoon, had to go out for the evening, but finished it on my return.  It's both claustrophobic and harrowing, but the sparcity of his prose (particularly the rendition of conversation) draws you along.

I've got to read some more McCarthy.  These two books are mesmerising.

the road is one of the best books i've EVER read.

Yeah, some read.

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/04/03/john-hillcoat-will-drive-latest-oprah-book-club-pick-the-road/

MarkW

Willy Vlautin - The Motel Life

Willy is Richmond Fontaine's singer/songwriter.  This book is the exact literary equivalent of one of their songs.  When I read it, the voice in my head was his.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

aMD

Kaley, I would recommend Cat's Cradle or Breakfast of Champions, those are two of my all-time favorites by anyone.

Chills

QuoteWilly Vlautin - The Motel Life

Willy is Richmond Fontaine's singer/songwriter.  This book is the exact literary equivalent of one of their songs.  When I read it, the voice in my head was his.

Cool! But also damn, I still need to get that one myself!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iih2SSk6HXQ

Mark, have you got my question on Ghostwritten covered? It's a few posts back. While we're at it, have you read anything else by Mitchell besides Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas?

red

Finally finished No Country for Old Men!  Quite enjoyed it, but thought it tailed off a bit towards the end.  Still an excellent read, even though it seriously took me forever to read (and for no explainable reason).  Looking forward to reading The Road sometime soon.

Next up: The Beautiful and Damned and Tender Is the Night.

megisnotreal

yay for k!

any friend of fitzgerald is a friend of mine.

red

Quoteyay for k!

any friend of fitzgerald is a friend of mine.
This Side of Paradise remains as my (second) favourite ever and I think it's time I read everything else by the wonderful man.   8-)

Franny and Zooey is my first favourite for those curious...

dragonboy

I'm currently reading A Spot Of Bother, Mark Haddon's follow up to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MarkW

Mark, have you got my question on Ghostwritten covered? It's a few posts back. While we're at it, have you read anything else by Mitchell besides Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas?

Sorry, Serge, I missed this.  I think Ghostwritten is different enough from Cloud Atlas to merit reading.  Although both feature fragmented stories, the premise on they are based is not at all similar.

Black Swan Green is currently in my "to read" list - I've heard good things about it.

I'm struggling through All The Pretty Horses by McCarthy at the moment.  The struggle is more to do with how little time I have to read at the moment than any fault of the book.  Work just gets in the way of everything I want to do: drinking, lying around on tropical beaches, reading, following the Jacket all over the world for a year...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Chills

Thanks for the reply Mark!

Since variety is the spice of life, there's probably some other authors to be read first,

but I'm gonna pick up Ghostwritten for sure when i reach back to the amazing David Mitchell  :)  

LizKing531

rereading - Dhammapada

This one always seems to purge my mind and bring me back around.  Its good brain fuel, for me at least

MarkW

The Steep Approach to Garbadale - Iain Banks

Banks is one of my favourite authors ever.  Might even be all-time number one.

Chills

why not try another Mitchell book?  Ghostwritten is excellent; fragmented storylines drawing together.  Well worth a read...

Hi Mark. I've picked up Ghostwritten and started it last night. The first 60 pages were breathtakingly good. His writing is really, really addictive...

And to say this novel is the first he ever published. Well that is just impressive.

Chills

QuoteWilly Vlautin - The Motel Life

My signed copy has arrived from America.

It's up next after I finish Ghostwritten, I'm genuinely excited  :)

Jenny

hot water music - charles bukowski (quick so far...) bukowski-y.
next up is naked lunch (william s burroughs). anyone read it?

bearass

naked lunch is a fun one last one i read was house of leaves
next up is still life with woodpecker by tom robbins

bethofftherecord

Quotenaked lunch is a fun one last one i read was house of leaves
next up is still life with woodpecker by tom robbins

I loved still live w/ woodpecker.  wait.  i love tom robbins.

Current favorite....
VEGANOMICAN by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
it is the best vegan cookbook i have ever had besides isa's other 2 books.  everything turns out better than expected and fabulous.  especially the chickpea cutlets.  so awesome.
nothing can be changed except ourselves