the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quotefinished 'love is a mix tape'

now starting 'tomcat in love' by Tim O'Brien....anyone else like him?

I only read The Things They Carried and I thought it was brilliant!  
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

FACE

did you like love is a mixtape?
i thought sheffield was so narcissistic...

red

Quotedid you like love is a mixtape?
i thought sheffield was so narcissistic...
I loved it when he was talking music.  Other than that, not so much.  Oh, and when he talked about relaxing while washing dishes, I liked that part.

My favourite line: "The songs were all either fast or sad, because all songs should be fast or sad.  Some of the fast ones were sad, too."

What a brilliant man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNuc3sxzlyQ

Angry Ewok

The other day I finished up the first volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative. Amazing, amazing work - definitely a must read for Civil War buffs.

Since each volume is around 1,000 pages, I'm taking a break to read No Country For Old Men. Picked up a used hard cover for $3, and it's awesome so far.

Excerpt:

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. I don't know what them eyes was the windows to and I guess I'd as soon not know. But there is another view of the world out there and other eyes to see it and that's where this is goin. It has done brought me to a place in my life I would not of thought I'd of come to. Somewhere out there is a true and living prophet of destruction and I don't want to confront him. I know he's real. I have seen his work. I walked in front of those eyes once. I wont do it again. I wont push my chips forward and stand up and go out to meet him. It aint just bein older. I wish that it was. I cant say that it's even what you are willin to do. Because I always knew that you had to be willin to die to even do this job. That was always true. Not to sound glorious about it or nothin but you do. If you aint they'll know it. They'll see it in a heartbeat. I think it is more like what you are willin to become. And I think a man would have to put his soul at hazard. And I wont do that. I think now that maybe I never would.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

red

Brad, if you enjoy NCFOM, you must check out Blood Meridian.  I think it would be right up your alley.  

I don't read many "modern" works, but The Road is an absolute masterpiece.  I should pick up some more Cormac asap.  

Angry Ewok

QuoteBrad, if you enjoy NCFOM, you must check out Blood Meridian.  I think it would be right up your alley.  

I don't read many "modern" works, but The Road is an absolute masterpiece.  I should pick up some more Cormac asap.  

I've been keeping an eye out for any of Cormac McCarthy's books (I mostly buy used books, saves a ton)... you're the second or third person who has recommend Blood Meridian.  

The Road is the first Cormac McCarthy book I read (NCFOM being the second). The Road is one of the finest books I've ever read. Will be interesting to see how the movie turns out (if it's ever released - initial screen reviews were very, very bad).

red

QuoteI've been keeping an eye out for any of Cormac McCarthy's books (I mostly buy used books, saves a ton)... you're the second or third person who has recommend Blood Meridian.  

The Road is the first Cormac McCarthy book I read (NCFOM being the second). The Road is one of the finest books I've ever read. Will be interesting to see how the movie turns out (if it's ever released - initial screen reviews were very, very bad).
Used books are the best.  I bought Tess of the D'Urbervilles for seventy-five cents at my favourite store the other day.  No better way to empty ones pockets and expand ones mind.

If The Road was summed by one word ("bleak"), Blood Meridian is "harrowing."  Or maybe "perfect."  

Not sure where you've been reading early reviews, but it sounds like it's shaping up to be a masterpiece, not a dud.  John Hillcoat is a very capable director, Nick Cave is doing the score, and the source material is incredible.  I've got faith.  http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/05/road-most-important-film-of-year-says.html  

I lent a friend The Road when he went to Europe, but he sold it on me.  Bastard.  

I actually posted Oprah's interview with Cormac just above.  I'm not an Oprah fan, but it's only one of a handful of interviews that Cormac has ever done.

Angry Ewok

I dug around for the post I found, but according to the person who saw a screen test, it was apparently really, really bad in some places. Might explain why the date was pushed back from October to possibly sometime next year.

The bright side is that the lower my expectations, the more pleasantly surprised I might be when it's finally out.

pawpaw

Yeah, I like him a lot. I read the one Ruckus has, and July, July...enjoyed both very much. Let us know what you think of that one Penny!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Penny Lane

Yeah, I like him a lot. I read the one Ruckus has, and July, July...enjoyed both very much. Let us know what you think of that one Penny!

i loved 'tomcat love'...i realized i'd read it years ago ...i'll have to check out july, july...

i'm trying to get through Look Homeward Angel but having to force myself to--not enjoying that at all-this weekend i read the third twilight book 'eclipse' (which i thought was the best out of the series so far)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

goodjam2bn

Ben Bova – The Precipice, The Rock Rats, The Silent War, The Aftermath

This is set in the near future. No aliens or transporting. Just normal physics. It plays out in the Earth, moon, asteroid belt area. It involves families and war factions fighting over the precious metals from the asteroids since Earth is depleted and experiencing a total green house disaster.
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

Angry Ewok

Good news for us fans of The Road,

[link=http://io9.com/5251030/first-official-review-of-the-road-calls-it-the-most-important-movie-of-the-year]First Official Review Of The Road Calls It The Most Important Movie Of The Year[/link]

red

QuoteGood news for us fans of The Road,

[link=http://io9.com/5251030/first-official-review-of-the-road-calls-it-the-most-important-movie-of-the-year]First Official Review Of The Road Calls It The Most Important Movie Of The Year[/link]
Told you that you were reading the wrong sites.   ;)

TheBigChicken

crap if you REALLY want to know go to Current Joys thread ::) :P :-X
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Angry Ewok

Sort of hating Absalom! Absalom! right now. There will be a few passages where I'm like, "Oh, this is where it's going..." but a page or two later and I'm back to just shaking my head.

Penny Lane

QuoteSort of hating Absalom! Absalom! right now. There will be a few passages where I'm like, "Oh, this is where it's going..." but a page or two later and I'm back to just shaking my head.

reading faulkner was torture for me
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Bumbeli

QuoteSort of hating Absalom! Absalom! right now. There will be a few passages where I'm like, "Oh, this is where it's going..." but a page or two later and I'm back to just shaking my head.
reading faulkner was torture for me

I enjoyed Faulkner a lot
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

Leontheslut

I've been cheating. Since I've been driving a lot more because of work I started listening to audio books. This week 1984 again
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Angry Ewok

Finished Absalom! Absalom! last night. Absolutely agonizing - hated it. Could have been tenfold better if it had fucking paragraphs instead of pages of run-on. The parts of it I enjoyed = how the mansion was built out of a swamp, and the conflict between the two soldiers during Johnston's retreat.

Now onto The Sound And The Fury. I flipped through it and it actually has paragraphs - so I like it better already.

Sian-of-the-dead

Currently reading Concertina: The Life and Loves of a Dominatrix by Susan Winemaker

It's rather saucy but very, very good. A great insight into a life that most of us could only imagine.

Before I started that I read Mark Haddon's A Spot of Bother and The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time. Both absolutely excellent and highly recommended  :)
Don't let 'em take who you are boy, and don't try to be who you ain't...