The Official Disc Golf Thread

Started by talleshortz, Feb 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

I drive sidearm too!  For me, it's just easier.  It takes less effort to throw it far that way.  A flick of the arm, wrist, and finger, with a slight twist of the torso and a step or two forward, and you can really fling it!  One of my buddies drives backhand, and he can throw it a little farther than me, but he puts SOOO much more effort into each drive.  Not usually worth it IMO.  But If I wanna get really good, I should probably practice both ways.

I can only imagine the play buy play guy.  Ha!  Gotta love local TV.  I miss it.  I don't get any local stations right now.  Just DirecTV crap.
We could.

capt. scotty

I drive by doing a 360 and throw it backhand. Spin-o-rama, baby!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

QuoteI drive by doing a 360 and throw it backhand. Spin-o-rama, baby!

That's Hawkeye and I saying too much work, but maybe we need to step our game up? You going pro?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

capt. scotty

QuoteI drive by doing a 360 and throw it backhand. Spin-o-rama, baby!

That's Hawkeye and I saying too much work, but maybe we need to step our game up? You going pro?

I actually havent even played yet this year  :-[
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteI've been playing alot this summer. But on Tuesday I threw my back out playing. It's not good. Yesterday I thought going to a buddy's house to have a beer or two and smoke one would help my back pain, but I was wrong. I was in pain the whole time and just uncomfortable. I was standing, because I couldn't sit down, and I eventually collapsed/fainted because of the pain. I'm sure I scared my friend. Not really sure if I'll be playing for awhile. I'm worried about the Ween concert on Saturday. But today my back is about 40%. On Saturday if I can put my socks on I'm going. All I can do is lay in bed and watch the George Lopez marathon on Nick At Nite. Good thing I don't have to worry about laughing hurting my back.

How's your back brother?  On a side note, I got carded for smokes last week.  Counter dude says, "You look like George Lopez man."  I nearly slapped him across the counter.  You just don't say that man.
;D
You should've, that would've been awesome! And he carded you? So what you look like the 17 year old George Lopez?

My back still isn't the same. I can move a lot better. But everything on my right side has some sort of pain. Right side of my lower back, my right butt cheek, and my right calf. But the pain level has gone down, but the problem is simply just sitting in a chair. But on the positive side it got me to start walking and running again. I can stand upright and everything is just fine. Weird. It sucks to, because I really was getting into disc golf this year. I finally started going on a regular basis and was getting the hang of it.

You've been hitting the course? I've been watching disc golf on tv. I'm trying to be a student of the game during my stint on the DL.  

Dude, I play at least once a week year around give or take.

As for driving, I had a torn rotator cuff for the last couple of years that prevented me from Flicking but it's all good now.  Flick and backhand as required by the hole.  Of course I can't throw it like Headdy can but who really can?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

My Morning Coffee

I like to get down on some FROLF every now and again!!

Started playin in college, where there's a really nice course just outside of Blacksburg, VA

...came back to the northeast and I haven't found anything that compares.
There's a nice course off the Taconic in Westchester County, NY and another in Mt. Kisco...but that's all I've gotten to.

Anyone from/play/know of any courses in the northeast area they love?  I'd be happy to get down on some new courses.
~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~

capt. scotty

Anyone from/play/know of any courses in the northeast area they love?  I'd be happy to get down on some new courses.

I really like the course I play around here the most, Knob Hill....http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=124&mode=rev

Offers the best variety of difficulty, length, elevation changes, and just general hole structure of any course Ive ever played. Some holes have more narrow fairways, but overall its very fair.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

.Walt

Nice courses guys!

My buddy that works at the brewery, they are celebrating their 150th anniversary, and they planted 150 trees in their home town of New Ulm MN and then planted 150 trees in Mankato. They planted the ones in Mankato around the disc golf course and they made sure the trees planted were cleared by the board.

The Board = one guy.  ;D

Ruckus

The day after the Charleston Jacket show on hole 3 at Trophy Lakes.  Hungover and chugging Red Bull Vodkas.

Got some video of a decent ace run on my frist go at this course.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/video/video.php?v=394826666242

.Walt

QuoteThe day after the Charleston Jacket show on hole 3 at Trophy Lakes.  Hungover and chugging Red Bull Vodkas.

damn it, I don't do facebook. I just got into myspace last month. Congrats Ruckus, maybe I'll join just to see it.

Ruckus

QuoteThe day after the Charleston Jacket show on hole 3 at Trophy Lakes.  Hungover and chugging Red Bull Vodkas.

damn it, I don't do facebook. I just got into myspace last month. Congrats Ruckus, maybe I'll join just to see it.

Ha!  I didn't ace this one.  Just a decent run at the pin.  Screw myspace!  Be my friend Walts

.Walt

Ha!  I didn't ace this one.  Just a decent run at the pin.  Screw myspace!  Be my friend Walts

Expect a friend request in a week or so...

Ruckus

I haven't gotten a friend request Walts. ;)

So yeah...feelin' rather rough around the edges from the Truckers show, me and some buddies managed to grind out eighteen holes in 102 degree weather with the index in the who knows where range.  It was stupid but I guess we all are.  Nothing a little gatorade, lemonade, Early Times and Tecate couldn't overcome.  I did lose my #1 tag however

capt. scotty

So yeah...feelin' rather rough around the edges from the Truckers show, me and some buddies managed to grind out eighteen holes in 102 degree weather with the index in the who knows where range.  It was stupid but I guess we all are.  Nothing a little gatorade, lemonade, Early Times and Tecate couldn't overcome.  I did lose my #1 tag however

Not stupid. Hot weather helps you sweat out the booze. Less work for the liver

.Walt

QuoteI haven't gotten a friend request Walts. ;)

;D

Yeah, I don't think you'll ever get one. I'm not a people person. I don't really wanna catch up with old friends and old girlfriends. I feel safe on Myspace and only use it for band updates.

I just found out about this tag system. How does it all work? You just get challenged and you have to accept?

Sleet or heat, Ruckus is throwing them thangs!  8-)

Ruckus

QuoteI haven't gotten a friend request Walts. ;)

;D

Yeah, I don't think you'll ever get one. I'm not a people person. I don't really wanna catch up with old friends and old girlfriends. I feel safe on Myspace and only use it for band updates.

I just found out about this tag system. How does it all work? You just get challenged and you have to accept?

Sleet or heat, Ruckus is throwing them thangs!  8-)

I strangely have no problem staying in touch with exes.  Yeah, I'm weird like that.  Well the tag system can vary as each state has one if you are member of their association or whatever.  We don't care about that.  Instead, we have a crew of about 12 of us that play regularly with each other, at least weekly.  My buddy ordered a bunch of mini discs and he painted them 1 through 12.  They serve as our markers as well.  So if 7 of us are playing, we play a round and then rank how we did and then trade tags.  For instance, if all twelve of us play and I win, I take the one.  But, if on a random weekday morning, I play heads up against the dude holding the 12 tag and he beats me, I go straight to bottom tag while he shoots to the top.  It serves as motivation to hold as low a tag as possible.

I hope that made sense.

.Walt

That makes sense. Cool way to have competitive fun with buddies.

I'm going out tomorrow to play for the first time. My back still isn't back to normal, but I've been playing bolf lately and my back does fine so hopefully everything goes all right.

Also if you or everyone could, give me some disc golf lingo. You know all the baseball lingo. Homerun = going yard, yack etc. But I need some good old fashion disc golf lingo that will make me look cool!  

Ruckus

Alright duder.  You can look this all up.  Here are some basics.

X Step - The three step routing to generate the most power and consistency on a backhand drive.

Tomahawk, Hammer - Throw it overhand like a baseball.  Good to get over trees.

Hyzer - the natural flight of a disc.  You throw a backhand righty, it's gonna go right to left.  Dip down lower and throw more underhand, a big hyzer.

Anhyzer - exactly the opposite.  You come over the top of the disc.  If you're throwing backhand, the release point of the disc will be above parallel to the ground.  Depending on the speed and glide rating of your disc, this will allow the disc to continue to ride left to right from a right hander or start right than "S" back to the left.  Ideal for getting great distance or navigating staggered trees.

"S" Curve - explained

Flick - forehand throw using mostly all arm with a big wrist snap.

Turbo - Typically a putt with the disc parallel to the ground but at around eye level with your fingers around and underneath the disc.   Throw while spinning.  Good to putt over a bush or to show off.

Some important things to know.  Know the discs Speed Rating and Glide Rating and see what works for you.  The technology is so crazy now that there are discs for every kind of shot.  

Don't get discouraged by a new disc that hyzers to much.  The more you use it and wear it in, the more it'll straighten out.  Similarly, if you are driving it pretty straight already, a worn disc will start to turn over and dive down.

That's a start.  Thanks for wasting my time.

.Walt

Thank you...I think? I guess the thought of looking up disc golf lingo never came to me. And now that you said it, I did. And you're right there's a lot of lingo sites.

Thanks for the advice, bro. I didn't know you could break in a disc. That's kinda cool.