Christmas Present Ideas...

Started by PhriendlyMMJPhan, Nov 19, 2010, 08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I need to buy my parents something bad ass for christmas but i'm not sure what.  price 100-200buckish.  I got them a dvdr-recorder thing last year and an outback steakhouse gift card the year before that.  I really want to do something clever this year but they've got everything.

help me out people.  

johnnYYac

QuoteI need to buy my parents something bad ass for christmas but i'm not sure what.  price 100-200buckish.  I got them a dvdr-recorder thing last year and an outback steakhouse gift card the year before that.  I really want to do something clever this year but they've got everything.

help me out people.  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

TheBigChicken

judging by your last posts,maybe a vasectomy.....we dont need another sticky on the board
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Tracy 3000

Quotejudging by your last posts,maybe a vasectomy.....we dont need another sticky on the board

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

capt. scotty

QuoteI need to buy my parents something bad ass for christmas but i'm not sure what.  price 100-200buckish.  I got them a dvdr-recorder thing last year and an outback steakhouse gift card the year before that.  I really want to do something clever this year but they've got everything.

help me out people.  

4 $50 Olive Garden gift cards?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

vespachick

How about a nice Pendleton Blanket (My faves are the National Park series) that they can snuggle under together and a big jug of bourbon for the chilly winter nights.

http://www.pendleton-usa.com/thumbnail/Home-Blankets/Blankets/NATIONAL-PARKS-BLANKETS/1839/c/1821/pc/1816.uts
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Jaimoe

Live theatre, opera, ballet, symphony tickets (depending on where you live of course). I just bought my mom her first Christmas present yesterday: Christopher Plummer starring in the play, "Barrymore" - Plummer won a Tony for his one-man portayal of John Barrymore. I can't wait since I'm going too.

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quotedon't know how fun your parents are but here are my usual shopping locations:

http://www.perpetualkid.com
http://www.uncommongoods.com
http://www.woot.com
http://www.thinkgeek.com

my parents are bad ass.  I want to get them something awesome.  

johnnYYac

Quotedon't know how fun your parents are but here are my usual shopping locations:

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

they'd complain about having to share.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

the only thing I can think of that would be bad ass that they don't have yet is a surround sound system.  I think it's necessary.  the other thing that I'm curious about is the HDTV stuff.  if you have a cable box is your tv setup for HD and you just need to get a box or something?

any suggestions or experience with surround sound setups?  all I know is bose is awesome but way expensive.   the room is fairly open too so is there any type of surround sound without ridiculous wiring installation?  

computer stuff might be cool.  I'm trying to think of shit that I would want but they're in another realm of buying shit.  I got my mom a huge crock pot that she "needed" the other year so I'm just totally confused.  

Jaimoe

Quotethe only thing I can think of that would be bad ass that they don't have yet is a surround sound system.  I think it's necessary.  the other thing that I'm curious about is the HDTV stuff.  if you have a cable box is your tv setup for HD and you just need to get a box or something?

any suggestions or experience with surround sound setups?  all I know is bose is awesome but way expensive.   the room is fairly open too so is there any type of surround sound without ridiculous wiring installation?  

computer stuff might be cool.  I'm trying to think of shit that I would want but they're in another realm of buying shit.  I got my mom a huge crock pot that she "needed" the other year so I'm just totally confused.  

You shouldn't go cheap if you choose to buy a surround system. I call the cheapo mini-systems made by Sony or Panasonic as girl (all the women I know aren't audio/HD snobs) or old people systems. You first need to have a good receiver, but you can find decent receiver/speaker packages that won't be too expensive (somehwhere in the $700-$1000 range). Mirage makes a good mini-speaker package in the $500-$700 range. Once you choose to go HD, the money just flies out of your wallet with hidden expenses (such as wires), so keep this in mind (I've been HD hooked up for 5 years - 44 inch TV, Harmon Kardon receiver and 5 Canadian-made PSP Speakers). Good speakers are like guitars and cars: quality-made speakers are generally only made in the US, Canada, Great Britain and Germany; Japan sucks in the speaker department.

You need a HD box for HD-TV, so the TV has to obviously be HD-ready. Direct TV in the States seems to be offer good and relatively inexpensive HD packages. I pay through the teeth and if I lived in the US, I'd switch to Direct immediately.

johnnYYac

Quotethe only thing I can think of that would be bad ass that they don't have yet is a surround sound system.  I think it's necessary.  the other thing that I'm curious about is the HDTV stuff.  if you have a cable box is your tv setup for HD and you just need to get a box or something?

I have and love this Onkyo 7.1 system, top-rated and well-priced IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_0_map

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I have and love this Onkyo 7.1 system, top-rated and well-priced IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_0_map

that looks really nice.  a bit out of my range but still a nice place to start looking. thank you sir.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

You shouldn't go cheap if you choose to buy a surround system. I call the cheapo mini-systems made by Sony or Panasonic as girl (all the women I know aren't audio/HD snobs) or old people systems. You first need to have a good receiver, but you can find decent receiver/speaker packages that won't be too expensive (somehwhere in the $700-$1000 range). Mirage makes a good mini-speaker package in the $500-$700 range. Once you choose to go HD, the money just flies out of your wallet with hidden expenses (such as wires), so keep this in mind (I've been HD hooked up for 5 years - 44 inch TV, Harmon Kardon receiver and 5 Canadian-made PSP Speakers). Good speakers are like guitars and cars: quality-made speakers are generally only made in the US, Canada, Great Britain and Germany; Japan sucks in the speaker department.

You need a HD box for HD-TV, so the TV has to obviously be HD-ready. Direct TV in the States seems to be offer good and relatively inexpensive HD packages. I pay through the teeth and if I lived in the US, I'd switch to Direct immediately.

yeah that's what I figured with the HD stuff.  tons of extra bs to buy.  the surround sound would be such a bad ass gift.

Jaimoe

yeah that's what I figured with the HD stuff.  tons of extra bs to buy.  the surround sound would be such a bad ass gift.

You can always finance the surround system. How about getting them a Wii? There's parent-friendly games on the Wii, plus the added benefit that you'll be able to use it too.

e_wind

You can always finance the surround system. How about getting them a Wii? There's parent-friendly games on the Wii, plus the added benefit that you'll be able to use it too.

not a bad idea. my parents got me a wii the year they came out, and they live 9 hours away and they demand it stays at their house haha. my almost 60 year old mom loves playin rockband and wii fit and my dad loves mario + zelda cause he was playin those with my brother and i as we grew up.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Hey Sticky.  If you're still thinking of a surround system, the latest recommendation from CR looks good and I think its closer to your price range.

Reviews & Recommended - Onkyo HT-S3300

$295-$324

SOUND AND VIDEO NOTES

Very good overall sound, warm but slightly indistinct. Bass has good impact but so-so definition, and lower bass is lacking. Midrange is slightly nasal and a bit hazy. Treble sounds sizzly; lacks upper treble extension and lower treble detail. Sounds fairly open, but lacks fine detail and lower midrange and lower treble room ambience.

OTHER COMMENTS

Console controls and ease of use judged excellent overall. Remote control features and ease of use judged very good overall. HD Radio ready; requires optional HD Radio module for HD Radio operation. When "B" speakers are active, "A" speakers only operate in 2.1 channel mode.

CR's TAKE

This 5.1-channel HTIB from Onkyo has very good overall sound, and is a decent choice for the more critical listener for both movie and music playback. This model does not come with a disc player, so it's best for those who already have a Blu-ray or DVD player (or who'd like to add one at a later date), and who are interested in the latest Blu-ray high-resolution audio formats, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD master Audio, which it can decode.

Amazon has it for $350 currently.  I should think you could find it for less if you go digging.  The Wii is a good idea, too.  It is fun, though we tend to go long periods without using it, because our kids get in arguments or too hyper.  Would you have the same concerns with your parents?

;)

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteHey Sticky.  If you're still thinking of a surround system, the latest recommendation from CR looks good and I think its closer to your price range.

Reviews & Recommended - Onkyo HT-S3300

$295-$324

SOUND AND VIDEO NOTES

Very good overall sound, warm but slightly indistinct. Bass has good impact but so-so definition, and lower bass is lacking. Midrange is slightly nasal and a bit hazy. Treble sounds sizzly; lacks upper treble extension and lower treble detail. Sounds fairly open, but lacks fine detail and lower midrange and lower treble room ambience.

OTHER COMMENTS

Console controls and ease of use judged excellent overall. Remote control features and ease of use judged very good overall. HD Radio ready; requires optional HD Radio module for HD Radio operation. When "B" speakers are active, "A" speakers only operate in 2.1 channel mode.

CR's TAKE

This 5.1-channel HTIB from Onkyo has very good overall sound, and is a decent choice for the more critical listener for both movie and music playback. This model does not come with a disc player, so it's best for those who already have a Blu-ray or DVD player (or who'd like to add one at a later date), and who are interested in the latest Blu-ray high-resolution audio formats, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD master Audio, which it can decode.

Amazon has it for $350 currently.  I should think you could find it for less if you go digging.  The Wii is a good idea, too.  It is fun, though we tend to go long periods without using it, because our kids get in arguments or too hyper.  Would you have the same concerns with your parents?

;)

that looks bad ass, I ended up already getting my pops some random stuff.   now I just need to get my mom something.  maybe some candles or some bs haha? who knows.  my parents wouldn't play wii, it's not their style.  they'd probably get vertigo.