The Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers Ahead)

Started by el_chode, Nov 29, 2010, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

johnnYYac

For those looking to check out the comic, you can also try these links.  Each zip file contains digital versions of the comic series, which can be viewed using certain software.  I use this one: Comical.

Issues 1-30

Issues 31-60

Issues 61-100

Issues 101-104 plus Michonne's Story

Issue 104 is the latest, released just last week.

Here's a screenshot of 104's cover, viewed through Comical.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Thoughts on the mid-season finale?  I have read the comic, so comparing it to the show is hard to avoid. 

I was hoping Michonne would have been more cruel to the Governor, but he wasn't nearly as harsh to her in the show as he was in the comic, so such brutality would have been uncalled for.  In the show, she almost comes out as the bad guy, killing Penny and gouging the Gov's eye.

Interesting having the other group enter the prison from the back, but you gotta wonder... wouldn't Rick's crew have seen this big hole in the back of the prison and tried to secure it?  Perhaps they hadn't made it that far back.  I originally thought the big hole in the wall of the prison was caused by the battle to come, when the Governor and his Woodbury crew attack the prison- a bit of foreshadowing, where this new group shows up after its all gone down.  But this new crew is discovered by Carl and will now likely join Rick's group.  The male leader of the group, Tyrese, is a character from the comic.

Totally unable to predict what will happend to Darryl and Merle, as neither character exists in the comic.  The Governor was furious that Merle told him Michonne was dead, considering what she did to Penny and the Gov.  The question is... will both survive?  Merle is pretty much dead meat with either group.  He lied to the Governor and now all of Woodbury wants him dead.  He released a walker on Glen while he was duct-taped to a chair, so he's not likely to be welcomed in with the prison crew... not to mention his history with them. 

I think Darryl held back intentionally, once he heard Merle was in Woodbury.  Andrea will have some soul searching to do, especially having seen the Governor's aquarium collection and his zombie daughter.  She will be key to any hope Darryl has of escaping Woodbury.

Jon T.

Pretty good assessments.  I'm about 75% of the way through the comics you sent me  :beer:, I'm having a very hard time keeping up with the two.  In last week's episode, when Michonne and Rick come face to face I was so confused because I thought they had already been together.
I don't like how personable they are making the Gov out to be on the show.  Obviously he has a dark side to him, but nothing like the comic.
I didn't even catch on that the new guy was Tyrese.
Don't know what to make of Merle and Darryl.  My guess is you are right about Andrea.  She will play a role in their escape and Merle will end up dying do something redeeming in aiding their escape.

sexmachine

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thoughts on the mid-season finale?  I have read the comic, so comparing it to the show is hard to avoid. 

I was hoping Michonne would have been more cruel to the Governor, but he wasn't nearly as harsh to her in the show as he was in the comic, so such brutality would have been uncalled for.  In the show, she almost comes out as the bad guy, killing Penny and gouging the Gov's eye.

Interesting having the other group enter the prison from the back, but you gotta wonder... wouldn't Rick's crew have seen this big hole in the back of the prison and tried to secure it?  Perhaps they hadn't made it that far back.  I originally thought the big hole in the wall of the prison was caused by the battle to come, when the Governor and his Woodbury crew attack the prison- a bit of foreshadowing, where this new group shows up after its all gone down.  But this new crew is discovered by Carl and will now likely join Rick's group.  The male leader of the group, Tyrese, is a character from the comic.

Totally unable to predict what will happend to Darryl and Merle, as neither character exists in the comic.  The Governor was furious that Merle told him Michonne was dead, considering what she did to Penny and the Gov.  The question is... will both survive?  Merle is pretty much dead meat with either group.  He lied to the Governor and now all of Woodbury wants him dead.  He released a walker on Glen while he was duct-taped to a chair, so he's not likely to be welcomed in with the prison crew... not to mention his history with them. 

I think Darryl held back intentionally, once he heard Merle was in Woodbury.  Andrea will have some soul searching to do, especially having seen the Governor's aquarium collection and his zombie daughter.  She will be key to any hope Darryl has of escaping Woodbury.

it's important to take into account that we met the governor a lot earlier than we did in the comics.   Rick hasn't even came face to the face with the Governor so I think the gov's evil attitude from the comics was born in the mid-season finale.  with the loss of his daughter and the stab to the eye/potential frontal lobe damage I think he's officially gone over the deep end and won't be coming back.  hoping he sends merle and daryl to the screamer pits, whatever those are, and they fight their way out.  I sorta think daryl is as good as dead now. 

the hole was discussed twice prior.  once by Daryl when they are clearing out walkers and once by Oscar when he pleads with Rick to join the group.  he talks about how the zombies would run up to the doors when they took the dead out.

daryl for sure bailed on the group to find merle.  which is the first lame thing daryl has done so it's his own fault. 

Tyreese is an amazing character and they cast cutty from the wire, perfect choice.  love his hammer, so classic.

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 03, 2012, 03:31 PM
Pretty good assessments.  I'm about 75% of the way through the comics you sent me  :beer:, I'm having a very hard time keeping up with the two.  In last week's episode, when Michonne and Rick come face to face I was so confused because I thought they had already been together.
I don't like how personable they are making the Gov out to be on the show.  Obviously he has a dark side to him, but nothing like the comic.
I didn't even catch on that the new guy was Tyrese.
Don't know what to make of Merle and Darryl.  My guess is you are right about Andrea.  She will play a role in their escape and Merle will end up dying do something redeeming in aiding their escape.

I think she sneaks out or is told to go to the prison by the governor to tell them Daryl and Merle are dead.  the clip of daryl in the preview looked like old footage. 

back into the void I go.

johnnYYac

For those of us reading the comics, here's a neat character/plot/setting diagram to enjoy.

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

Update for those checking out the comic that started it all...

... and software to view/read 'em: http://comical.sourceforge.net/ or any other .cbr file reader.

Issues 1-30

Issues 31-60

Issues 61-100

Issues 101-106 plus Michonne's Story

The differences between the comic and the show are significant, so you can do both without spoilers, in my opinion.  Enjoy!

Oh, and a few more of my daughters, courtesy of Dead Yourself.

CHIMMJFAN

Less than one week away for the return of my favorite show!

One of my mom's Christmas presents I got her is tickets this month in Milwaukee for a Q&A with cast and directors from The Walking Dead, can't wait!!!!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

johnnYYac

Jon T.

johnnYYac

So, the mid-season premier breaks records as the most watched episode of The Walking Dead.  It was not a great episode, in my opinion.  The opening scene, with the Dixon brothers' fight-to-the-death, was corny.  Even in the zombie apocalypse, seeing a crowd of Woodbury residents, living their little suburban fantasy, demand death seemed unrealistic.  Having armed guards hold back Andrea, bringing in 3 or 4 walkers, it all seemed wrong.  The seeming ease with which Rick et al rescued Darryl... it just didn't sit well with me.  And then... Laurie!  I was so glad she's dead.  Please no more Laurie ghosts!  Just a boring episode with no major moments.  Disappointed.

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
So, the mid-season premier breaks records as the most watched episode of The Walking Dead.  It was not a great episode, in my opinion.  The opening scene, with the Dixon brothers' fight-to-the-death, was corny.  Even in the zombie apocalypse, seeing a crowd of Woodbury residents, living their little suburban fantasy, demand death seemed unrealistic.  Having armed guards hold back Andrea, bringing in 3 or 4 walkers, it all seemed wrong.  The seeming ease with which Rick et al rescued Darryl... it just didn't sit well with me.  And then... Laurie!  I was so glad she's dead.  Please no more Laurie ghosts!  Just a boring episode with no major moments.  Disappointed.

I really wish I had more to add to this but I do not. I was pretty disappointed with this episode.

CHIMMJFAN

Jon T.

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Feb 13, 2013, 03:40 PM

I really wish I had more to add to this but I do not. I was pretty disappointed with this episode.

CHIMMJFAN

Yep.  I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.  Really disappointing episode, especially for the first one back from the break.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 13, 2013, 03:45 PM

CHIMMJFAN

Yep.  I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.  Really disappointing episode, especially for the first one back from the break.
If you're up for it, start checking out the Walking Dead 'cast, a fan podcast that I've been listening to religiously for since October.  They describe the episode perfectly, totally in agreement with my assessment.

http://www.walkingdeadcast.com/2013/02/11/episode-90-the-suicide-king-s3e9/#

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 13, 2013, 08:34 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 13, 2013, 03:45 PM

CHIMMJFAN

If you're up for it, start checking out the Walking Dead 'cast, a fan podcast that I've been listening to religiously for since October.  They describe the episode perfectly, totally in agreement with my assessment.

http://www.walkingdeadcast.com/2013/02/11/episode-90-the-suicide-king-s3e9/#
Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out when I get home.

CHIMMJFAN

Jaimoe

Rarely has such an average pulpy show (but with a cool premise and excellent style) been so praised and militantly defended. This season is by far the best (rivals the first couple of episodes of Season I) and salvaged the series for me - kudos go to the addition of David Morrissey/Governor. Some of the plots continue to be predicatible or downright dumb (last Sunday was full of obvious contrivances). At least most of the badly written and acted characters have been killed off. Thoughts?