The NFL Thread: 2010

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 05, 2010, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Quoteyou bite your tongue.. i actually drafted kenny britt in my fantasy league.. and most people were wondering if he'd even start at TN..

fuck randy moss.. titans fans will boo him out of the stadium if he pulls that shit on the field just like they did with pacman jones.
^This

Kenny Britt was my favorite receiver coming out of the draft two years ago, ahead of Crabtree, Maclin and Nix and whoever else.  That dude is big, has decent speed, great hands, body control and runs good routes.  He plays on any pass happy team instead of the Titans and he is diesel.  Already a better receiver than Moss.

Better than Moss??! C'mon now. I know he exploded a couple weeks ago, and I didnt mean to make it seem like he wasnt any good by my post, but he's no Moss...Moss gets doubled more than teams have their #1 CB shadow Britt. And your description of Britt is basically Nicks  ;)

Based on what Harvin has done since Moss got there though, one would think Britt should benefit significantly.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MMJ_fanatic

C'grats to the Titams--good luck!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

corey

Britt could be a great player in the league. He was starting to show it in the last few weeks. His offseason work habits damn-near lost his job for him this year, though. Luckily, he got back into shape pretty quickly and I read that something apparently "clicked" with him and his understanding of film studies about a month ago, which probably lead to his success in the past month. I hope his hammy heels up soon and he can get some more playing time before the end of the season.

As a Titans fan, I have to admit that I clinched my fist and said "Yes!" when I read that they had claimed Moss yesterday. I started getting my hopes up when Fisher made his comments about Moss a couple of days ago. With Britt hurt and Gage hurt, our top 2 receivers are out. The Titans MUST have some sort of passing game to help keep CJ2K effective. So many teams were stacking 8-9 players in the box against him at the beginning of the year. Moss may be crazy as a shithouse rat, but I can deal with that as long as he is effective.

.Walt

I really wanted Moss to stay. Damn it! Love Chilly, but the love is starting to fade. I love Chilly mostly because everyone here hates the guy. It's a great conversation starter. I walk into a room full of unfamiliar people, and start it off by saying I love Brad Childress. Good way to get the conversation flowing! But now I can't even say it with a straight face.

I'm sure everyone has seen/heard this club banger, but I'll post because of all the sweet Vikings clips.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJcUlrkMNg[/media]
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Tracy 3000

Great to see the Raiders-Chiefs game mean something again; it's been a while (wtg Bbill!)

How about those Brownies beating another premier NFL team?  :o

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

johnnYYac

QuoteGreat to see the Raiders-Chiefs game mean something again; it's been a while (wtg Bbill!)

Yeah, how about it?  :'(
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

iLikeBeer

QuoteGreat to see the Raiders-Chiefs game mean something again; it's been a while (wtg Bbill!)

If only the Browns could play Super Bowl contending teams every week, they would be a freaking playoff team!   :P

Safe to say that the Browns may have finally found their QB of the future.  If you would have told me that Colt McCoy would be 2-1 as a starter with his first 3 opponents being the Stillers, Saints and Pats, I would have asked you what you were smokint!  :D  Well, things won't be getting much easier for Colt as his next start will be coming at home vs. the Jets.  My Brownies will look to take down another forum member's favorite team as they already took down Tracy's Saints and Johnny's Pats.  Now it's time for Ruckus' Jets!!!  ;)

And how fun is it watching Peyton Hillis???  Bet the Broncos are kicking themselves over trading him for Brady Quinn right about now!

DYK, Hillis was in the same backfield at Arkansas featuring Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.  Those 2 were both first round draft picks while Hillis was drafted in the 7th round.  And all Hillis has done for the Browns is outgain DMC and Jones COMBINED and he also scored 7 td's alone while DMC and Jones have combined for just 4 td's this season.  Hillis is a pretty cool story!  8-)

corey

If Mangini doesn't keep McCoy as the starter once Delhomme and Wallace are healthy, then he's lost his damn mind.

Ruckus

If only the Browns could play Super Bowl contending teams every week, they would be a freaking playoff team!   :P

Safe to say that the Browns may have finally found their QB of the future.  If you would have told me that Colt McCoy would be 2-1 as a starter with his first 3 opponents being the Stillers, Saints and Pats, I would have asked you what you were smokint!  :D  Well, things won't be getting much easier for Colt as his next start will be coming at home vs. the Jets.  My Brownies will look to take down another forum member's favorite team as they already took down Tracy's Saints and Johnny's Pats.  Now it's time for Ruckus' Jets!!!  ;)

And how fun is it watching Peyton Hillis???  Bet the Broncos are kicking themselves over trading him for Brady Quinn right about now!

DYK, Hillis was in the same backfield at Arkansas featuring Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.  Those 2 were both first round draft picks while Hillis was drafted in the 7th round.  And all Hillis has done for the Browns is outgain DMC and Jones COMBINED and he also scored 7 td's alone while DMC and Jones have combined for just 4 td's this season.  Hillis is a pretty cool story!  8-)
Don't get all excited about taking us down Beer.  There's a reason the Mangina is in Cleveland.  You guys are definitely a better team than your record indicates and seem to be going in the right direction.  It would be nice for you guys if you really did hit on a franchise QB in Holmgren's 1st season.  It makes putting the other pieces together so much easier.

Hillis is a great story, particularly when you consider the Jones situation with the Cowboys.  Macfadden has looked great but so has Bush.  That Oline in Oakland might be a little underrated.  I wish Hillis the best but he's a one trick pony with a year or two flash in the pan potential.

Question Beer:  Why was the front office and Mangini so sour on Jerome Harrison?  I'm not saying he's a game changer by any means but he was quite effective when healthy and playing and gave you the added dimension of catching out of the backfield with quickness.  I have nothing good to say about Mike Bell so I guess I didn't get it.

So we've knocked out Walt's Vikings, Sticky's Lions, Johnny's Patriots and next will be your Browns.  Enjoy the heartwarming, feel good stories in Cleveland right now Beer.  

After the Michigan game, the gloves are off.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pawpaw

Thanks!

That was an ugly game. Penalties, turnovers and poor officiating...in the rain. The Raider defense kept it close enough through the first half though, and then we finally started to make plays. Ford was obviously the man with his return to start the second half, and those two catches to set up the game tying and winning field goals. It's nice to see a confident team playing, and feels great to win some games!

Regarding the O-Line...they really are starting to play well together. The pass protection still isn't great (improving), but the run blocking has been really strong. Gallery has found his home at guard, and along with our rookie Jared Veldheer at tackle, our left side has been really strong lately. I only see things getting better as the whole line continues to play together, and I like the team this O-Line allows us to be.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

Amazingly, it looks like the Browns, Raidas, and Lions are becoming average - and possibly better - NFL teams at the same time and wont be cellar dwellers for the forseeable future.

Always liked McCoy, glad he's had success so far in CLE. I dont think he'll ever be a top 12 QB, but it looks like he can be good enough if they continue to build the team around him. I agree Hillis is seems to be outproducing his talent, but might as well keep running him until he breaks. Hardesty could still be your RB of the future. Haden and Ward both look like they will be players. To me, what yinz guys really need to draft early this yr and next are WRs and LBs...

Raiders might be the biggest suprise of the 3, because most of their top picks have been busts the last few years, yet they appear to be a solid team. After what I saw the last couple years, Im not sure DMC has finally figured something out, is healthy, or what, but he has looked very good and might not end up being a bust after all..former WR Marcel Reece seems like a secret weapon at FB. Despite injuries that have you starting 5 rookies at the moment, still winning games.  Ford definitely flashed some skillz, beating Brandon Flowers consistently yesterday should not be understated. Hopefully the Raiders see what I saw and have him start over busty DHB and always injured Schilens. Murphy, Ford, and ZMiller isnt too shabby. Chiefs look like they turned it around as well and I think I heard yesterday was the first sellout in a few years?? Silver & Black are back.

Lions are only 2-6, but they had a shot at winning or taking every game into OT except 1. They look like theyre set at their offensive skill positions, but Stafford might not end up being the answer if he can't stay healthy. He's looked promising when healthy, but that shoulder sounds like surgery in the offseason. Desperately need a LT. Their front 4 is stout and Suh looks like a Top 10 DLman already. Back 7 is getting helped out by how good the DL is, and I think thatll be their focus the next few drafts, especially LB after dumbfoundedly trading Ernie Sims.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

lil sis

QuoteAmazingly, it looks like the Browns, Raidas, and Lions are becoming average - and possibly better - NFL teams at the same time and wont be cellar dwellers for the forseeable future.

Always liked McCoy, glad he's had success so far in CLE. I dont think he'll ever be a top 12 QB, but it looks like he can be good enough if they continue to build the team around him. I agree Hillis is seems to be outproducing his talent, but might as well keep running him until he breaks. Hardesty could still be your RB of the future. Haden and Ward both look like they will be players. To me, [highlight]what yinz guys [/highlight]really need to draft early this yr and next are WRs and LBs...

Raiders might be the biggest suprise of the 3, because most of their top picks have been busts the last few years, yet they appear to be a solid team. After what I saw the last couple years, Im not sure DMC has finally figured something out, is healthy, or what, but he has looked very good and might not end up being a bust after all..former WR Marcel Reece seems like a secret weapon at FB. Despite injuries that have you starting 5 rookies at the moment, still winning games.  Ford definitely flashed some skillz, beating Brandon Flowers consistently yesterday should not be understated. Hopefully the Raiders see what I saw and have him start over busty DHB and always injured Schilens. Murphy, Ford, and ZMiller isnt too shabby. Chiefs look like they turned it around as well and I think I heard yesterday was the first sellout in a few years?? Silver & Black are back.

Lions are only 2-6, but they had a shot at winning or taking every game into OT except 1. They look like theyre set at their offensive skill positions, but Stafford might not end up being the answer if he can't stay healthy. He's looked promising when healthy, but that shoulder sounds like surgery in the offseason. Desperately need a LT. Their front 4 is stout and Suh looks like a Top 10 DLman already. Back 7 is getting helped out by how good the DL is, and I think thatll be their focus the next few drafts, especially LB after dumbfoundedly trading Ernie Sims.
ynwa and I will be near Pittsburgh for the Thanksgiving holiday visiting family.  That line never gets old!  ;D
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

capt. scotty

Forgot to mention it, but did anyone else watch the Philly-Indy game yesterday? There were 2 TERRIBLE calls made in that game. One most of you have probably seen today, the hit on Collie. Not only was it a legal helmet to helmet hit because he wasnt a defenseless receiver, but him tucking his head is what lead to that contact. In addition, it was clearly a catch as he took 2 steps and lowered his head and upper body for impact, shouldve been a catch and fumble, but not only does Indy not lose the ball, they get an extra 15 yards!!

Even more ridiculous was towards the end of the game when Cole stripped the ball from Manning. Shouldve been game over, but since Cole's hand literally glanced Peyton's helmet, its a 15 yard penalty and the Colts keep the ball even though Cole's intent was pretty clear. That call was about as much BS as Harrison getting fined for hitting Brees in the back with "the crown of his helmet"...Gimme a break.

Both are BS, but the first is even more worrisome for me with all this helmet to helmet and fines talk getting out of hand. I dont know if the officials should have to ability to personally review a play to determine the type of contact or what, but Philly got hosed on the Collie call IMO most likely because of what Collie looked like after the hit as opposed to what actually happened.

Another rule they need to change is losing the ball when it hits the ground after a TD. Lions and Megatron got hosed week 1 based on that, and HOU and Arian Foster did yesterday as shown below..Guy takes 2 steps in the end zone with the ball and it still isnt a TD? What happened to it being a TD once it crosses the plane of the GL? Terrible rule.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJ_SrHr-2I[/media]

Ruckus

I agree with most everything you said Cap.  Of course denying Arian Foster that TD ticked me off just a bit ;)  That rule is terrible and must be changed.

I agree that the reactionary Collie call was inappropriate.  However, I think by the book, the call of the blow to the head to Manning was right.  It's not a discretionary rule that considers intent or force of impact.  A defensive player struck the quarterback in the head.  Did it seem unfair?  Sure but I thought it was the right call.

iLikeBeer

QuoteI agree with most everything you said Cap.  Of course denying Arian Foster that TD ticked me off just a bit ;)  That rule is terrible and must be changed.

I agree that the reactionary Collie call was inappropriate.  However, I think by the book, the call of the blow to the head to Manning was right.  It's not a discretionary rule that considers intent or force of impact.  A defensive player struck the quarterback in the head.  Did it seem unfair?  Sure but I thought it was the right call.

Agreed with both you and Cap to an extent.  Totally agree that the td catch rule needs to be done away with this offseason.  Total BS on that rule.  As for the Collie hit, I agree on that one as well and so did the league as they didn't fine that Philly player that made the hit and rightfully so.  

And as for the glancing brush to Manning's head, you are right Ruckus. That is the rule that you can't even touch the opposing QB's helmet no matter if there was intent or not.  But with that said, this is another rule that needs to have some wiggle room added to it.  If you are going to penalize opposing defenders 15 freaking yards for THAT you might as well just send the QB's out there in their no contact jerseys and make a rule that you cannont even touch the QB period.  

I'm all for player safety, but Goodell is getting dangerously close to ruining this league by enforcing all of these, what I consider, excessive rules overprotecting the players.

Tracy 3000

I think by the book, the call of the blow to the head to Manning was right.  It's not a discretionary rule that considers intent or force of impact.  A defensive player struck the quarterback in the head.  Did it seem unfair?  Sure but I thought it was the right call.

However, I really don't think someone like Colt McCoy gets that call in the exact same circumstances. Protecting the QB is 1 thing, but protecting the NFL "brand" QB's is another and when someone like Manning gets injured, then the whole league suffers.
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

iLikeBeer

QuoteDon't get all excited about taking us down Beer.  There's a reason the Mangina is in Cleveland.  You guys are definitely a better team than your record indicates and seem to be going in the right direction.  It would be nice for you guys if you really did hit on a franchise QB in Holmgren's 1st season.  It makes putting the other pieces together so much easier.

I must admit, my excitement level has increased by the Browns' results the last two games!  And it's not like your Jets are exactly tearing it up the last couple of weeks.  Shut out at home to the Packers?  Needing OT to beat the Lions?  I know the Lions are improved just like the Browns, so it gives me optimism that your Jets aren't going to be any more difficult of an opponent than our last 2 opponents we have beaten,  pretty handily I might add.

QuoteQuestion Beer:  Why was the front office and Mangini so sour on Jerome Harrison?  I'm not saying he's a game changer by any means but he was quite effective when healthy and playing and gave you the added dimension of catching out of the backfield with quickness.  I have nothing good to say about Mike Bell so I guess I didn't get it.

I really didn't hear too much surrounding the Browns trading away Harrison and their reasoning behind it.  I too liked what I saw from Harrison and he was tearing it up over the last month or two of last season.  IIRC, he was injured all through training camp and never got going where he left off.  Plus, they drafted Hardesty (who also got hurt in the pre-season) and my thoughts are they are banking on Hardesty to be their back of the future.  They will ride Hillis for now and I'm hopeful that Hardesty can come back next season and stay healthy and that could form a pretty lethal backfield with Hardesty and Hillis sharing snaps.  I will say, I think the most unsung player in the Browns backfield is Lawrence Vickers.  He would get my vote as the best fullback in the league!

QuoteSo we've knocked out Walt's Vikings, Sticky's Lions, Johnny's Patriots and next will be your Browns.  Enjoy the heartwarming, feel good stories in Cleveland right now Beer.  

After the Michigan game, the gloves are off.

Well, we've knocked off AMD's Bengals, Tracy's defending Super Bowl Champion Saints, and Johnny's Pats and next will be your J-E-T-S Jets!  The heartwarming stories will continue for at least another week!  You see?  The Browns are in the businsess of playing beyond their potential vs. Super Bowl contending teams.  We will see the wheels come off the following weeks as the Browns will more than likely be back to their typical losing ways against the mighty Jaguars and Panthers!   :D

Ruckus

QuoteI agree with most everything you said Cap.  Of course denying Arian Foster that TD ticked me off just a bit ;)  That rule is terrible and must be changed.

Agreed with both you and Cap to an extent.  Totally agree that the td catch rule needs to be done away with this offseason.  Total BS on that rule.  As for the Collie hit, I agree on that one as well and so did the league as they didn't fine that Philly player that made the hit and rightfully so.  

And as for the glancing brush to Manning's head, you are right Ruckus. That is the rule that you can't even touch the opposing QB's helmet no matter if there was intent or not.  But with that said, this is another rule that needs to have some wiggle room added to it.  If you are going to penalize opposing defenders 15 freaking yards for THAT you might as well just send the QB's out there in their no contact jerseys and make a rule that you cannont even touch the QB period.  

I'm all for player safety, but Goodell is getting dangerously close to ruining this league by enforcing all of these, what I consider, excessive rules overprotecting the players.

And remember Beer, it isn't just 15 yards but it is also an automatic 1st down.  On that play, if I'm not mistaken, the Colts had 3rd or 4th and more than 15 and it resulted in an automatic 1st.

But I do agree with you.  But when you see the Carson Palmer, Joe Theisman, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, etc. stuff, I get the rule.  There's just nowhere you can hit a qb anymore.  I don't know what the answer is.

Ruckus

I think by the book, the call of the blow to the head to Manning was right.  It's not a discretionary rule that considers intent or force of impact.  A defensive player struck the quarterback in the head.  Did it seem unfair?  Sure but I thought it was the right call.

However, I really don't think someone like Colt McCoy gets that call in the exact same circumstances. Protecting the QB is 1 thing, but protecting the NFL "brand" QB's is another and when someone like Manning gets injured, then the whole league suffers.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you here Trace, I'd like to think that the same ref would have called it for McCoy.  I am as big a conspiracy theorist as it gets with sports but I'm willing to believe that an NFL directive to protect certain QBs more than others does NOT exist.  Whether officials subconsciously protect the Bradys and Mannings of the world in the heat of the moment is a whole other question.

capt. scotty

And remember Beer, it isn't just 15 yards but it is also an automatic 1st down.  On that play, if I'm not mistaken, the Colts had 3rd or 4th and more than 15 and it resulted in an automatic 1st.

Not to mention Manning fumbled the ball and Philly recovered it.

Philly also had the FF and recovery on teh Collie hit....they almost really got hosed on that game.