Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteThe wife and I got a gig!  We're playing Bearno's in the Highlands Friday night, Aug 21 from 8 to 10 or 11.  We'll definitely be playing a handful of jacket tunes if anyone wants to come out.

What a great performance.  Dylan and Candace seemed to walk right in and capture the audience from note one.  They played for a couple of hours or so with a couple of set breaks.

It was a beautiful day which turned into a wonderful night.  It wasn't the sultry August weather we've been having.  There were families there.  Kids.  There were good friends catching up after time away.  Love birds scattered here and there.  Even a first date was taking place.  And Candace sang to us all.  Dylan serenaded us with his beautiful Martin.  She was so pretty and held her demeanor as each song dictated.  Dylan was so tall and handsome and supportive.  Sometimes he would harmonize behind her, and sometimes she would harmonize with him.  They knew all their parts and reminded me of Delaney and Bonnie a little bit.  Emmy Lou and Gram at times. The chemistry they had was very real and very present on The Band's Ophelia and Ryan Adams' Two.  A lucky few of us have heard them play Steam Engine before, but tonight, the audience was absolutely captivated when they played that.  I don't know if it was the song itself, or the way they played it, but it reached out to a bunch of people in one way or another.

Their entire set list was classy as hell, filled with standards and classics. Not all of which I was familiar with, but perfect nevertheless, as it is with their taste in music.  All seasoned with the right amout of Jacket songs, picked right from their garden...and did they ever deliver!  In no particular order, they came correct with I Won't Cry, Steam Engine, At Dawn, One Big Holiday, They Ran, I Will Be There When You Die. (I was briefly pulled away with work calls, so my apologies if I missed any.)

The sound was balanced and mixed well and they looked very comfortable in the music spot light.  And everybody who was there got just what they needed...even if they didn't know they needed it.

Candace and Dylan will definitely come back!  And when they do, do yourself a favor if you're in town...check 'em out.   ;)

PEACE!

This is SUPER!  I wish I was in the 'Ville.  Hell, I've yet to see any live performance where someone did an MMJ cover.  

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

QuoteThanks for the kind write-up, Toby!

We had a great time.  They asked us back so we'll have to do it again sometime.  I'll keep you all updated.  Thanks to everyone who came out!

Cheers to you and your wife and tell us when you do a summer tour out east. :)

Soulshine

QuoteThanks for the kind write-up, Toby!

We had a great time.  They asked us back so we'll have to do it again sometime.  I'll keep you all updated.  Thanks to everyone who came out!

Cheers to you and your wife and tell us when you do a summer tour out east. :)

That is so great to hear! Can't wait to see you and Mrs. aMD someday! Congrats!
Because we're all in this together...

Soulshine

I leave for amazing San Francisco in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

ALady

Oooooh, nice!  Have a great time!  I would love to go to that fest some year.  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Soulshine

QuoteOooooh, nice!  Have a great time!  I would love to go to that fest some year.  

Thanks ALady! Will do!  :)

Ruckus

The long awaited return of DB!  

Cheers and best [smiley=beer.gif]

Penny Lane

QuoteThe long awaited return of DB!  

Cheers and best [smiley=beer.gif]

i agree.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Janet

My mom had surgery to remove bone spurs on her neck that were pushing into her spinal chord on Tuesday night.  I was in Chicago and my sister called me to say that mom came through surgery and all was well.

I found out she was not giving me the full story because she didn't want to worry me since I was out of state.

Got home Wednesday and went straight from the airport to the hospital.  My mom looked horrible and she was paralyzed on her left side as well as her right leg.  The only thing she could move was her right hand.  

Doctors had no idea what went wrong and told her that she might spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair and that she'll be in the hospital for a few months .

Oh what a difference a day makes.  This morning she started regaining feeling in her legs and left arm.  Not a lot, but it's something.  We're hopeful she'll have a full recovery and that an extended stay in the hospital will not be required.

Turns out she had a stroke during the surgery and that was what caused the paralysis.

She looked fantastic today and even traded a few salty barbs with EdTomBell.  I'm so happy.

mjkoehler

Not sure if this is a complaint or a joy. After nodding off on the couch for a few hours, I went to bed at 8:30 and slept straight through to 5:30. 9 hours doesn't seem like much, but that's about double what I normally get in a night. Still feel like I can sleep a few more hours.

Penny Lane

QuoteMy mom had surgery to remove bone spurs on her neck that were pushing into her spinal chord on Tuesday night.  I was in Chicago and my sister called me to say that mom came through surgery and all was well.

I found out she was not giving me the full story because she didn't want to worry me since I was out of state.

Got home Wednesday and went straight from the airport to the hospital.  My mom looked horrible and she was paralyzed on her left side as well as her right leg.  The only thing she could move was her right hand.  

Doctors had no idea what went wrong and told her that she might spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair and that she'll be in the hospital for a few months .

Oh what a difference a day makes.  This morning she started regaining feeling in her legs and left arm.  Not a lot, but it's something.  We're hopeful she'll have a full recovery and that an extended stay in the hospital will not be required.

Turns out she had a stroke during the surgery and that was what caused the paralysis.

She looked fantastic today and even traded a few salty barbs with EdTomBell.  I'm so happy.

lucy that's great news! coinicidence, too, because yesterday morning my mom had a stroke and she's in ICU in pittsburgh hospital. they think they got the massive clot by her brain but they are waiting to see if anything changes. i know how you were feeling though because she can't really move her left side at all except for her leg right now (and her arm a tiny bit) so the next few days are crucial. hopefully too much time didn't pass and too much damage wasn't done. just so scary because she's the healthiest 60 year old woman i know.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

QuoteMy mom had surgery to remove bone spurs on her neck that were pushing into her spinal chord on Tuesday night.  I was in Chicago and my sister called me to say that mom came through surgery and all was well.

lucy that's great news! coinicidence, too, because yesterday morning my mom had a stroke and she's in ICU in pittsburgh hospital. they think they got the massive clot by her brain but they are waiting to see if anything changes. i know how you were feeling though because she can't really move her left side at all except for her leg right now (and her arm a tiny bit) so the next few days are crucial. hopefully too much time didn't pass and too much damage wasn't done. just so scary because she's the healthiest 60 year old woman i know.

Best to your mother PL and hopes for a healthy recovery

TheBigChicken

sorry to hear that Penny. Florida sunshine your way...
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

mjkoehler

I'm sorry to hear that CD.

dragonboy

Pleased to hear your Mum is doing well LucyLew. Very sorry to hear about your Mum Penny, I really hope she gets well soon...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

best wishes for the 2 mommies  [smiley=engel017.gif]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

Sending healing thoughts out to the two moms.  Here's hoping for two speedy and complete recoveries!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

mjkoehler

Lunch on the Boss.....now I needs a serious nap. Gonna be a rough afternoon fighting the sandman.

TheBigChicken

My chicken laid it's first egg today :-* :-*feeling like a real chicken farmer now :D :D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

dragonboy

Congrats John - you da man!!! (& make mine sunny side up)  ;)

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.