Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

megalicious

I'm going to New Orleans next weekend. It's my first visit to NOLA.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Penny Lane

Quote from: megalicious on Mar 08, 2011, 04:21 PM

nice, Meg! i went for the first time last year...loved it...crawfish burrito....mmmmm
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bowl of soup

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 08, 2011, 04:47 PM

nice, Meg! i went for the first time last year...loved it...crawfish burrito....mmmmm

Now is the perfect time to go.  Well, unless you're in your early 20's, with all of your college friends, and are interested in what whip-its the size of hot-air balloons can do to your brain cells.

After the silliness dies down and the filth has been swept from the street, New Orleans is like no place on Earth.  Do the touristy shit - it's worth it.  Then stray a few blocks from the Quarter and discover little places that will light your soul on fire.  Every time I went, I didn't want to leave.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bowl of soup on Mar 09, 2011, 09:39 AM

Now is the perfect time to go.  Well, unless you're in your early 20's, with all of your college friends, and are interested in what whip-its the size of hot-air balloons can do to your brain cells.

After the silliness dies down and the filth has been swept from the street, New Orleans is like no place on Earth.  Do the touristy shit - it's worth it.  Then stray a few blocks from the Quarter and discover little places that will light your soul on fire.  Every time I went, I didn't want to leave.

I was born in New Orleans and raised in Mississippi. Bowl is correct.

Jon T.

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 09, 2011, 09:48 AM
Quote from: bowl of soup on Mar 09, 2011, 09:39 AM

I was born in New Orleans and raised in Mississippi. Bowl is correct.

I can't count how many times I've been to New Orleans and it's always been a good time but up until my last visit I had never really ventured out off Bourbon St. too much, other than concerts at Tips or UNO.  We went a few months ago and saw a whole new side of it that I had not experienced.  We stayed at a B&B in the gay district which was interesting to say the least, but actually pretty cool.  We ate at some unreal restaurants and ended up at DBA on Frenchman street.  A couple of the guys from Galactic were randomly playing with one of the side projects, "Good Enough for Good Times".  Anyway, it was by far my favorite experience in NO.  My wife and I have already decided that that's going to be where we catch MMJ if and when their tour.

Like Soup said, you have to see Bourbon street but the real soul of NO is in other areas.

Hawkeye

I'm going to NOLA for Jazzfest this year.  Can't wait!  Me and 1-3 buddies.

Other current joy:
Skiing.  Finally getting the hang of it.  I've gone 4 times now and can at least make it down the blue hills...no black diamonds yet...but last time I made a trip through the woods and went over my first (small) jump!  Woohoo!  And then there's always the hot tub shenanigans back at the cabin  :beer:
We could.

vespachick

– My Morning Jacket will reissue three studio albums — 2003′s It Still Moves, 2005′s Z, and 2008′s Evil Urges — as 2×12″ picture discs limited to 500 copies each, reports Wax Poetic.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/gorillaz-foo-fighters-the-cure-ready-record-store-day-releases/

:thumbsup:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

TEO

Quote from: Hawkeye on Mar 09, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm going to NOLA for Jazzfest this year.  Can't wait!  Me and 1-3 buddies.

Other current joy:
Skiing.  Finally getting the hang of it.  I've gone 4 times now and can at least make it down the blue hills...no black diamonds yet...but last time I made a trip through the woods and went over my first (small) jump!  Woohoo!  And then there's always the hot tub shenanigans back at the cabin  :beer:

Keep on striving for the sensation that both skis are moving as one...when that starts to happen you are well on your way...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 09, 2011, 09:43 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 05, 2011, 04:59 PM
1:45 - 4:20 -  :o :o :o
Rush - Working Man R30

more like 1:45 - 4:25   :o :o :o

;D  I just wanted to make sure that any Rush noob that chose to view this avoided that horrific reggaed out post jam verse. :-X
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 09, 2011, 08:09 PM
Rush - Working Man R30

;D  I just wanted to make sure that any Rush noob that chose to view this avoided that horrific reggaed out post jam verse. :-X
;D
But that is SO Rush!  Great vid.  I was finally drawn to it by your "noob" call.  I'd like to think I don't qualify, but realized I hadn't checked it out yet.  Amazing.  I've never seen Rush live, but I have an idea as to what I am missing.  Are they still touring?

EDIT: I see they're quite busy, actually.  Nothing close, though.  Louisville, Greensboro, Nashville, Greenville, NYC- MSG, Europe.  No New England dates.  :(
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 09, 2011, 09:27 PM
Rush - Working Man R30

;D
But that is SO Rush!  Great vid.  I was finally drawn to it by your "noob" call.  I'd like to think I don't qualify, but realized I hadn't checked it out yet.  Amazing.  I've never seen Rush live, but I have an idea as to what I am missing.  Are they still touring?

EDIT: I see they're quite busy, actually.  Nothing close, though.  Louisville, Greensboro, Nashville, Greenville, NYC- MSG, Europe.  No New England dates.  :(
Johnny.  You MUST see Rush live once.  You will never have been surrounded by more socially inept, unattractive men than at a Rush show.  To think that this prolific a band is still touring after 40 years and still killing it with just the three of them is unheard of.  We may never see another band do that again.I know Tracy's hittin' Nashville and I'll be going to the 1st Mariner Arena show on 4/22.

And yes...nobody should subject themselves to Geddy's faux Patois

Tracy 2112

Rush - Working Man R30

Yeah, I heard a split second of them going into that and I shut it down. They're nerds. Period. And they know it, and they don't care.

woodnymph

Rush - Working Man R30

Hahahahah so I saw this comment.... and I'll just say that from 4:25 - 4:47 was the longest frame of time that I've ever enjoyed listening to them! No offense, Rushers!! Maybe this is the start of a beautiful relationship between I & I (I mean RUSH and I!!!)  ;D heheheh just for the record, I've always dug a lot of their lyrics... my friend would always tell me or write me the lyrics, and I remember liking them a lot.... but just couldn't get into the jammaggggeee

Did somebody say "Reggae Rush Vol. 1?!?"  :P
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Penny Lane

Quote from: vespachick on Mar 09, 2011, 12:11 PM
– My Morning Jacket will reissue three studio albums — 2003′s It Still Moves, 2005′s Z, and 2008′s Evil Urges — as 2×12″ picture discs limited to 500 copies each, reports Wax Poetic.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/gorillaz-foo-fighters-the-cure-ready-record-store-day-releases/

:thumbsup:

i would like to get these, too... ;) :(
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

woodnymph

Relaxing on the porch in the sun all day... watched a huge fish jump around in the lake, had the blue heron visitor hang out a bit again(!), chilled with the neighbor's cat a bit... did a little gardening and mixed up my homemade compost bucket (which is off to a nice start!) Might be visiting the Blue Ridge Parkway this evening for the sunset..... and making a batch of lentil soup for dinner  8) Lovely day!!

weeniebeenie

Quote from: woodnymph on Mar 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
Relaxing on the porch in the sun all day... watched a huge fish jump around in the lake, had the blue heron visitor hang out a bit again(!), chilled with the neighbor's cat a bit... did a little gardening and mixed up my homemade compost bucket (which is off to a nice start!) Might be visiting the Blue Ridge Parkway this evening for the sunset..... and making a batch of lentil soup for dinner  8) Lovely day!!
That sounds perfect!

My current joy is two weeks off work with three Eddie Vedder shows, another Justin Townes Earle show and a possible Foo Fighters show. Busy indeed.
How loud can silence get?

woodnymph

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Mar 14, 2011, 12:23 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Mar 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
That sounds perfect!

My current joy is two weeks off work with three Eddie Vedder shows, another Justin Townes Earle show and a possible Foo Fighters show. Busy indeed.
Wowowowow wish I could say the similar!!!  That's heaven on wheels there!!!  Report back!!! And ENJOY!!!!  :D :D

TheBigChicken

The doctor is back in the house !! :D :D :bath: :bath: :bath: :thumbsup:
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ruckus

1. Indian Buffet
2. Opening tip
3. Staggered starts and multi channel coverage