Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteEhh Phils v Pads got rained out.

What's the deal with the A's purging their pitching staff? I can't understand Blanton is kind of unstable but what about Harden and letting Houston Street go? I haven't seen him pitch much, but in the limited # of times he impressed me. His numbers also looked pretty good.

Billy Bean's a compulsive trader. They seem to want to get a younger hungry group of guys. Players that don't cost them a fortune in salary.
I think they feel they have alot of good young pitching in our farm system. So they can trade the better knowns and use and shop the    
lesser knowns. It's all about the money and how much they can make.
One of the reasons I like the AAA is that the guys are  trying to make their way up to the show for the first time or get back for whatever reason. It makes for some good ball and is a little less money than the bigs. In the last 2 years AAA Sac made about 190 transactions per year and still won the PCL and beat the IL team for the AAA crown.So they got talent and baseball smarts in 10 years Sac has won their division 7 times, the PCL 4 and the AAA twice. They just need all that to click in Oakland.IMO ::)

Yeah they continue to be stacked, particularly with arms.  Trevor Cahill seems to be the Real Deal
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Vadie Stark

QuoteEhh Phils v Pads got rained out.

What's the deal with the A's purging their pitching staff? I can't understand Blanton is kind of unstable but what about Harden and letting Houston Street go? I haven't seen him pitch much, but in the limited # of times he impressed me. His numbers also looked pretty good.

Billy Bean's a compulsive trader. They seem to want to get a younger hungry group of guys. Players that don't cost them a fortune in salary.
I think they feel they have alot of good young pitching in our farm system. So they can trade the better knowns and use and shop the    
lesser knowns. It's all about the money and how much they can make.
One of the reasons I like the AAA is that the guys are  trying to make their way up to the show for the first time or get back for whatever reason. It makes for some good ball and is a little less money than the bigs. In the last 2 years AAA Sac made about 190 transactions per year and still won the PCL and beat the IL team for the AAA crown.So they got talent and baseball smarts in 10 years Sac has won their division 7 times, the PCL 4 and the AAA twice. They just need all that to click in Oakland.IMO ::)

Yeah they continue to be stacked, particularly with arms.  Trevor Cahill seems to be the Real Deal
Cahill skipped AAA and went to Oak from AA I thought we would get him first.  >:(  It will be interesting to see what happens in this  NY series with the wind tunnel and all ;D

Hey headdy yer Bucs put it to the fish today. ;) Fla was off to a good start someone had to stop it :)
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

capt. scotty

11-1?! Tell that to the Buccos. Marlins aint shit.

We're 7-6, and Im surprised its not 1-2 games better. We lead the league in shutouts with 4, no other team has more than 2. I said it before the season and Ill say it again, if the Buccos get good pitching from their starters, theyll finish over .500

And Nate McLouth is the Cris Carter of baseball so far. All he does is hit HomeRuns.

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

I would say that the A's are my second AL team. I love their pitchers. I'm a Twins fan, and the A's and Twins are kind of the same. We get ours, and we get rid. We can't afford to buy championships (not saying the Phil's did), but we also can't afford to keep the great players that make it. The A's must of knew something, because Mulder, Hudson, and Zito haven't really done much since leaving. It seems there's always someone new they're bringing up. I have three A's pitchers in my money league. Yeah, they're young, but when's the last time the A's didn't have young, and good starting pitching.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Jaimoe and K, I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but lord, doesn't the Jays broadcast suck. It's really boring, even for baseball. For the record, I don't think the Twins have the best.

Vadie Stark

I would say that the A's are my second AL team. I love their pitchers. I'm a Twins fan, and the A's and Twins are kind of the same. We get ours, and we get rid. We [highlight]can't afford to buy championships[/highlight] (not saying the Phil's did), but we also can't afford to keep the great players that make it. [highlight]The A's must of knew something, because Mulder, Hudson, and Zito haven't really done much since leaving[/highlight]. It seems there's always someone new they're bringing up. I have three A's pitchers in my money league. Yeah, they're young, but when's the last time the A's didn't have young, and good starting pitching.
I think they lucked out with those guys. Maybe they put $ into the farm instead? Saw your Twins Play RiverCats here in exhibition play. :)

.Walt

I would say that the A's are my second AL team. I love their pitchers. I'm a Twins fan, and the A's and Twins are kind of the same. We get ours, and we get rid. We [highlight]can't afford to buy championships[/highlight] (not saying the Phil's did), but we also can't afford to keep the great players that make it. [highlight]The A's must of knew something, because Mulder, Hudson, and Zito haven't really done much since leaving[/highlight]. It seems there's always someone new they're bringing up. I have three A's pitchers in my money league. Yeah, they're young, but when's the last time the A's didn't have young, and good starting pitching.
I think they lucked out with those guys. Maybe they put $ into the farm instead? Saw your Twins Play RiverCats here in exhibition play. :)

Sweet where was that? I assume you're from the Bay area being an A's fan and a PCL fan? I think that's a good way of looking at it. Do you think that's the case? I guess the proof is in the pudding. So I now think it's a great way of looking at it.

Leontheslut

I would say that the A's are my second AL team. I love their pitchers. I'm a Twins fan, and the A's and Twins are kind of the same. We get ours, and we get rid. We can't afford to buy championships (not saying the Phil's did), but we also can't afford to keep the great players that make it. The A's must of knew something, because Mulder, Hudson, and Zito haven't really done much since leaving. It seems there's always someone new they're bringing up. I have three A's pitchers in my money league. Yeah, they're young, but when's the last time the A's didn't have young, and good starting pitching.
You would just think with producing all those great arms they should be getting better value for their players. I understand there is nothing you can do when a player walks in FA, but what about with trades? Would you say they are getting good offensive prospects for these guys?
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

.Walt

You would just think with producing all those great arms they should be getting better value for their players. I understand there is nothing you can do when a player walks in FA, but what about with trades? Would you say they are getting good offensive prospects for these guys?

Okay I'm going to rant about the Twins. Santana and Hunter leaving still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like you said, getting value. We didn't get shit for Santana. Carlos Gomez is fast and stupid. Have you ever heard in all the years of baseball...that a coach had to shine a flashlight in a player's eyes because they weren't paying attention? I haven't. The guy is an idiot, but he's still so young that I should give the benefit of the doubt. I just don't want to hate a player into my 30's you know? But it seemed to me that the Twins lied to the fans. They always talk future, and they always talked about needing a stadium to compete in FA. The future was Santana and Hunter. The future has a stadium that's getting built. What the hell happened? Our owner just died, but he was the richest of all the owners in baseball. What the fuck?

As for the A's Edtombell would explain that situation better...

Vadie Stark

Sweet where was that? I assume you're from the Bay area being an A's fan and a PCL fan? I think that's a good way of looking at it. Do you think that's the case? I guess the proof is in the pudding. So I now think it's a great way of looking at it.

Raley Field here in Tent City er.. Sacramento. Twins hammered us if memory serves. With what 29 teams each with 6 levels of farm clubs all the different markets and all that, pretty complicated to me. Twins were parent club of Portland's AAA Beavers once, I lived there then and went to some games. You get to see alot  of MLB guys rehab in AAA and most of the managers and coaches are all former players so that is cool too. Good times 8-) good times

.Walt

Never been to a minor league game, I think the nearest one is in Iowa or something. My buddy for the Dodgers isn't playing Triple A. I guess making a trip down to Omaha to watch him play isn't going to happen. Maybe one day.

Leontheslut

Okay I'm going to rant about the Twins. Santana and Hunter leaving still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like you said, getting value. We didn't get shit for Santana. Carlos Gomez is fast and stupid. Have you ever heard in all the years of baseball...that a coach had to shine a flashlight in a player's eyes because they weren't paying attention? I haven't. The guy is an idiot, but he's still so young that I should give the benefit of the doubt. I just don't want to hate a player into my 30's you know? But it seemed to me that the Twins lied to the fans. They always talk future, and they always talked about needing a stadium to compete in FA. The future was Santana and Hunter. The future has a stadium that's getting built. What the hell happened? Our owner just died, but he was the richest of all the owners in baseball. What the fuck?

Who are these Twins you speak of? An expansion team?

JK.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Leontheslut

QuoteNever been to a minor league game, I think the nearest one is in Iowa or something. My buddy for the Dodgers isn't playing Triple A. I guess making a trip down to Omaha to watch him play isn't going to happen. Maybe one day.
The only minor league team I am a fan of (besides the Phils farm teams) are the Wilmington Blue Rock. They are the single A affiliate of the Royals. The games are a great time, and you don't have to break the bank.

Vadie Stark

QuoteNever been to a minor league game, I think the nearest one is in Iowa or something. My buddy for the Dodgers isn't playing Triple A. I guess making a trip down to Omaha to watch him play isn't going to happen. Maybe one day.
The only minor league team I am a fan of (besides the Phils farm teams) are the Wilmington Blue Rock. They are the single A affiliate of the Royals. The games are a great time, and you don't have to break the bank.

These are for Leon:

We have $2 beer thursdays. [smiley=beer.gif] Some ml parks have $1 beer
Look for ml parks while on vacation ;)

Vadie Stark

I've never lived in a big league city so my view is different than locals.
Some ballplayers might not be that bright so a light might help.I know that if a player in the dugout gets hit by a foul because they aren't paying attention he gets fined. I don't even know why some guys are even in the MLB, for the money I guess.It' all about the money.
There is so much happening it's hard to keep up. Just trying to find out what happened and where all the players went each year is tough. Let alone all the other. I lived near an ml park when I was a kid,went all the time, little rascal style ,you know one of the fence boards had one nail at the top it was a door ;) I would also climb the scoreboard from the back and watch from there hang the metal #'s with the scorekeeper :) Never paid never had $ probably only bought snacks maybe half dozen times we was poor.We couldn't even afford clothes When I was 5 my Mom gave me a hat so I could look out the window. Anyway
You can't get too attached to players in the minors because of the horse trading and call ups and all that. Such competition for a spot with a club and a contract. The way the player drafted,media buzz, name all that.
Bsides wtfdoiknow ;D ;D ;D

Vadie Stark

Just turned on the A's game to see a NY jack to the right field wind tunnel >:( 5-2 NY btm 6th. Ow Ow called stike to end it. Come on A's lets go.

Leontheslut

Phils game just went on rain delay. Thankfully it's in the 7th so, if it keeps raining they will probably just call it. Good thing the Phils are up 10-3

Leontheslut

I've never lived in a big league city so my view is different than locals.
Some ballplayers might not be that bright so a light might help.I know that if a player in the dugout gets hit by a foul because they aren't paying attention he gets fined. I don't even know why some guys are even in the MLB, for the money I guess.It' all about the money.
There is so much happening it's hard to keep up. Just trying to find out what happened and where all the players went each year is tough. Let alone all the other. I lived near an ml park when I was a kid,went all the time, little rascal style ,you know one of the fence boards had one nail at the top it was a door ;) I would also climb the scoreboard from the back and watch from there hang the metal #'s with the scorekeeper :) Never paid never had $ probably only bought snacks maybe half dozen times we was poor.We couldn't even afford clothes When I was 5 my Mom gave me a hat so I could look out the window. Anyway
You can't get too attached to players in the minors because of the horse trading and call ups and all that. Such competition for a spot with a club and a contract. The way the player drafted,media buzz, name all that.
Bsides wtfdoiknow ;D ;D ;D
It's also true for the MLB as well, players come and go. In Philly we were all attached to Burrell and there was a considerable backlash when they let him walk. In hindsight Ibanez was a great pickup. He is more consistent with his bat and a slightly better fielder.

I could see how ML ball could e more exciting. You have guys hungry for a payday, so you see a lot of effort. You don't always get that attitude in the MLB.

Vadie Stark

QuotePhils game just went on rain delay. Thankfully it's in the 7th so, if it keeps raining they will probably just call it. Good thing the Phils are up 10-3
A's tryin to get it going Jack scores.Phuck 3 away Let's get three and get some runs. Phil Have 11 don't they. I got A's on Hi-def and gameday up with Phils Waiting for Cat/Beavs in Portland also Blazer game tonight

Leontheslut

QuotePhils game just went on rain delay. Thankfully it's in the 7th so, if it keeps raining they will probably just call it. Good thing the Phils are up 10-3
A's tryin to get it going Jack scores.Phuck 3 away Let's get three and get some runs. Phil Have 11 don't they. I got A's on Hi-def and gameday up with Phils Waiting for Cat/Beavs in Portland also Blazer game tonight
I'm gonnna watch more A's games. After all they are originally ours (phillys)  ;) :P