Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vadie Stark

That game was last year SF lost.
My point was to go this summer and maybe get a bat. :) Baseball is the only game I know where fans can have bats. They even have mini ones for kids. ;)
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

pawpaw

QuoteBaseball is the only game I know where fans can have bats.

;D Yeah, I don't think they'd let you into a Raiders game if you were carrying a bat!

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

QuoteGave $5 for a giant box of 1988 fleer baseball cards and stickers all mint in factory box today.  :)  
I wonder If I can make my money back. :-?

Keep an eye out for these rookies!

Tom Glavine
Roberto Alomar
Mark Grace
Ken Caminiti
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Vadie Stark

QuoteGave $5 for a giant box of 1988 fleer baseball cards and stickers all mint in factory box today.  :)  
I wonder If I can make my money back. :-?

Keep an eye out for these rookies!

[highlight]Tom Glavine[/highlight]
Roberto Alomar
[highlight]Mark Grace
Ken Caminiti[/highlight]

Got these 3 :)

aMillionDreams

One of the my kids' parents gave me 90 bucks in gift certificates to Great American Ballpark.  I've already spent thirty.  This is by far the best present any parent has gotten me!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

Man, I have a HUGE collection of cards. Mostly baseball, but football and a little hockey and basketball too. I probably have over 100 Griffey Jr and Frank Thomas cards, and probably at least 25 varios Griffey RC's. I think I have 6 McGwire Topps RC, probably 50 Sosa RC's, and all kinds of other cards that were worth a fuckload 10 years ago, but I figured they'd be worth so much more 25 years down the line. I dont even think my Clemente, Mantle, Aaron, etc. old cards are worth that much anymore, and none of my cards are "officially graded" since I quit collecting right before that became the norm.

I hope collecting sports cards becomes popular once again and cards go up in price, because at their peak 10-12 years ago, I probably have $10,000 worth of sports cards. I dont know if they ever will go back to that level though  :-/
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

QuoteOne of the my kids' parents gave me 90 bucks in gift certificates to Great American Ballpark.  I've already spent thirty.  This is by far the best present any parent has gotten me!

So, 90 dollars is the going rate for an A?  8-)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

My dad has a shit ton of old cards. Had to sell a couple...I needed beer money in high school. A lot of the legends. Mantle's, Aaron's, Mays'...etc. I think the highest priced one is a  Roberto Clemente rookie. I think it's worth a couple grand. I don't think he even knows he has them.

I collected basketball cards. Have about 100 Chris Webber cards...stupid! I think Kobe, Duncan, and K.G. rookie cards are the only ones that could be worth something. I never understood collecting football cards. Way less players in basketball, better chances at a good player.

Freshman year of college I worked at Target. Some mom bought a boat load of Asian cartoon cards. I said something like, we always collected baseball cards. She laughed at me. I think the glory days are over. Look at how many card companies are even around anymore.

ETB, I see the A's are having 12 pack cooler night on the 7th, you going?

capt. scotty

Freshman year of college I worked at Target. Some mom bought a boat load of Asian cartoon cards. I said something like, we always collected baseball cards. She laughed at me. I think the glory days are over. Look at how many card companies are even around anymore.

I think this was part of the demise. Cards really started blowing up late 90's-early 80's. Starting in about 1993, it wasnt just Bowman, Fleer, Topps, Score, Upper Deck, and Donruss anymore. You started getting these more expensive brands like Flair, SP, Finest, Bowman's Best, and many more that werent even as good. Then put in the "insert" cards for each brand which probably ranged from 5-10 different insert series' with 10-20 players/cards per series, and there was just wayyy too much product overload.

I think that took away from just looking for your favorite player or a rookie card, and it killed the sports card industry.

I know that Clemente RC used to be something like $2500. No idea what its worth now though. If you/he got it graded and it was graded highly, it could even be worth more than that since thats even more rare than just the card itself. A Clemente RC might be one of the few things that might not have lost its value.

..And yeah there's more players in football, but its not like every single player has a card  ;D. You arent going to find a Tarvaris Jackson card in a full set, because they just dont make them. I think I actually have some good RC's from right before I quit, like a Peyton Topps Chrome RC, Randy Moss Ultra RC, and a few others. Might check the price out on those, they might be at peak value around now.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

I picked up a Beckett the other day to see what some of my old cards are worth and most of them are worth the same if not a little less than they were 15 years ago.  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Vadie Stark

QuoteMy dad has a shit ton of old cards. Had to sell a couple...I needed beer money in high school. A lot of the legends. Mantle's, Aaron's, Mays'...etc. I think the highest priced one is a  Roberto Clemente rookie. I think it's worth a couple grand. I don't think he even knows he has them.

I collected basketball cards. Have about 100 Chris Webber cards...stupid! I think Kobe, Duncan, and K.G. rookie cards are the only ones that could be worth something. I never understood collecting football cards. Way less players in basketball, better chances at a good player.

No But I like the schedule from 6-8 thru 6-24

What about you?

Mon, 6/8      Twins       7:05p
Tue, 6/9      Twins              7:05p      
Wed, 6/10      Twins        7:05p      
Thu, 6/11      Twins              12:35p

Fri, 6/12      at Giants      7:15p      
Sat, 6/13      at Giants      7:05p      
Sun, 6/14      at Giants      1:05p

Tue, 6/16      at Dodgers      7:10p      
Wed, 6/17      at Dodgers      7:10p
Thu, 6/18      at Dodgers      7:10p
Fri, 6/19      at Padres      7:05p
Sat, 6/20      at Padres      7:05p      
Sun, 6/21      at Padres      1:05p      
Mon, 6/22      Giants      7:05p
Tue, 6/23      Giants      7:05p      
Wed, 6/24      Giants      7:05p      

capt. scotty

I cant believe we traded Nate McClouth. First Jason Bay last year, now McClouth. We even had him signed for 3 more years.

I fucking hate the Pirates.

Leontheslut

What did you get in return?
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

OF Gorkys Hernandez is supposed to be the best of the 3 prospects. From the sound of it, he's like McClouth but with less power and unproven only in Triple A. Other 2 were pitchers, Charlie Morton and Jeff Locke. I saw Locke's stats and he's like 1-7 with an ERA over 5 in Single freaking A.

Steve Phillips said we got hosed. Anyone here know anything about these prospects?

I fucking hate the Pirates. I might not even go to anymore games this year, and I love doing that eventhough they suck because its still a good time. I cant believe this shit though. 27 yr old gold glove OF with speed and surprising power and we dont get shit for him.

Leontheslut

How much was he getting paid? Was it a salary dump?
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

QuoteHow much was he getting paid? Was it a salary dump?

We just signed him in this offseason for 3yrs, 14.75 mill I think. I think that was a damn good price, and actually made him a more valuable commodity.

Part of it was our top prospect is CF Andrew McCutchen who shouldve started out the year in the majors, but they kept him down so they didnt have to pay him more. He's already playing today, but from what Ive gathered we almost wouldve been better off if we got a bag of baseballs and a few louisville sluggers for McLouth.

Im joining your hipster club  :)

Vadie Stark

QuoteHow much was he getting paid? Was it a salary dump?

We just signed him in this offseason for 3yrs, 14.75 mill I think. I think that was a damn good price, and actually made him a more valuable commodity.

Part of it was our top prospect is CF Andrew McCutchen who shouldve started out the year in the majors, but they kept him down so they didnt have to pay him more. He's already playing today, but from what Ive gathered we almost wouldve been better off if we got a bag of baseballs and a few louisville sluggers for McClouth.

[highlight]Im joining your hipster club[/highlight]  :)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8-)

Vadie Stark

Just my luck, I pick  up Tom Glavine's rookie card and he gets released same day. ;)

.Walt

QuoteMy dad has a shit ton of old cards. Had to sell a couple...I needed beer money in high school. A lot of the legends. Mantle's, Aaron's, Mays'...etc. I think the highest priced one is a  Roberto Clemente rookie. I think it's worth a couple grand. I don't think he even knows he has them.

No But I like the schedule from 6-8 thru 6-24

What about you?

Mon, 6/8      Twins       7:05p
Tue, 6/9      Twins              7:05p      
Wed, 6/10      Twins        7:05p      
Thu, 6/11      Twins              12:35p

Fri, 6/12      at Giants      7:15p      
Sat, 6/13      at Giants      7:05p      
Sun, 6/14      at Giants      1:05p

Tue, 6/16      at Dodgers      7:10p      
Wed, 6/17      at Dodgers      7:10p
Thu, 6/18      at Dodgers      7:10p
Fri, 6/19      at Padres      7:05p
Sat, 6/20      at Padres      7:05p      
Sun, 6/21      at Padres      1:05p      
Mon, 6/22      Giants      7:05p
Tue, 6/23      Giants      7:05p      
Wed, 6/24      Giants      7:05p      

hmmm? maybe? I did see flights from LA to the Bay for $49 one way. I already made my mind up on not going to a Twins game this year. Nothing can top the best Twins EVER last year. Too many good things happened, no way it can be out done.

.Walt

QuoteTarvaris Jackson

Wait, do you think I'm a Vikings fan?

BTW we call him [highlight]Travis [/highlight]Jackson around here.

yeah, the highlight could be a little [highlight]over-the-top[/highlight]. Please no Slyvester Stallone pics.