Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

QuoteThanks Twins fans for showing a lot of class last nite giving Mark Buehrle  a standing ovation for setting the record for retiring 45 consecutive batters. I take back everything bad I said about the Twins  ;).  

I was driving home listening to the game on the radio, and the announcers said they found themselves cheering for him. I guess I was too, but let's keep the trash talk alive...A 3 game sweep?...was nice!  8-)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

capt. scotty

The Cubbies are in Pitt for three games in September and I'm thinking of rolling up there for the series if it's tight.

Maybe I can get Headdy to meet up with me at their beautiful park on the river. ;) ;D

I think my little league team can give the Pirates a run now

Id be down, but Im going back to school in Altoona, PA the last week of August so I wont be in the Burgh no more. If its a weekend, I might be around.

And quit the Bucco Bashing!!

I dont know if its possible to find this data (ahem, BH), but the only starting position player for the Pirates right now that has been a regular starter for at least a season prior to this year is our catcher Ryan Doumit. Thats unfrigginbelievable. Thats gotta be some kind of record. 7 basic rookies, and Doumit  :-[
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

What kind of trade was that!?!?  Scott Rolen for Edwin Encarnaion!?!  They both play the same position at about the same skill level, the only difference is Rolen is a decade older AND we had to give up more to get him.  This is supposed to win us the pennant in the central or build for the future, I don't get it.  Just when I thought the Reds were making some good decisions. Damn!

btw, going to see the game tomorrow. Go Reds!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

.Walt

QuoteI am sickened by the thought of the best pitcher in the majors over the past decade, Roy Halladay, being traded by a GM that will be fired at the end of the season regardless of the trade.

So what happens now Jaimoe?

.Walt

QuoteWhat kind of trade was that!?!?  Scott Rolen for Edwin Encarnaion!?!  They both play the same position at about the same skill level, the only difference is Rolen is a decade older AND we had to give up more to get him.  This is supposed to win us the pennant in the central or build for the future, I don't get it.  Just when I thought the Reds were making some good decisions. Damn!

It gets pretty emotional around the trade deadline. JT the Brick was making perfect sense last night...This is America, we have the most billionaires. If your ownership doesn't wanna spend money to stay competitive, then just sell the team. Baseball will live on. Every 5-7 years teams that don't wanna spend money trade their best players for youthful junk. They fool fans talking about future this and future that. Bullshit! You may fool a new generation of fans, but the fans that "get it" are getting very sick of the lies. Again, it's very easy. If you don't wanna stay competitive, then sell the team.

aMillionDreams

QuoteWhat kind of trade was that!?!?  Scott Rolen for Edwin Encarnaion!?!  They both play the same position at about the same skill level, the only difference is Rolen is a decade older AND we had to give up more to get him.  This is supposed to win us the pennant in the central or build for the future, I don't get it.  Just when I thought the Reds were making some good decisions. Damn!

It gets pretty emotional around the trade deadline. JT the Brick was making perfect sense last night...This is America, we have the most billionaires. If your ownership doesn't wanna spend money to stay competitive, then just sell the team. Baseball will live on. Every 5-7 years teams that don't wanna spend money trade their best players for youthful junk. They fool fans talking about future this and future that. Bullshit! You may fool a new generation of fans, but the fans that "get it" are getting very sick of the lies. Again, it's very easy. If you don't wanna stay competitive, then sell the team.

Well, that's the shitty thing about the lack of a salary cap in baseball.  Teams like the Pirates are basically farm clubs for teams like the Yankees.  You and I happen to live in markets that actually do try to win championships every now and then, even if just once a decade.  I don't see how cities like Cleveland and wherever the Marlins are from still support teams.  I do feel good about the way the Reds are "rebuilding" now getting rid of overrated talent like Dunn, but I don't get shipping out Edwin!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

mjkoehler

Well, that's the shitty thing about the lack of a salary cap in baseball.  Teams like the Pirates are basically farm clubs for teams like the Yankees.  You and I happen to live in markets that actually do try to win championships every now and then, even if just once a decade.  I don't see how cities like Cleveland and wherever the Marlins are from still support teams.  I do feel good about the way the Reds are "rebuilding" now getting rid of overrated talent like Dunn, but I don't get shipping out Edwin!
And beware of Rolen. He did his time here and St Louis and he was very injury proned and didn't get along with LaRussa. When he's on, he' great. But as you pointed out, he getting up there and is not what he used to be.

capt. scotty

If you dont know, now you know.

4-5, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 4 Runs. And he's a leadoff hitter  8-)

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

TheBigChicken

damn Philly looks TOUGH again.... :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

capt. scotty

Quotedamn Philly looks TOUGH again.... :-/

Lincecum owned them tonight, but I think they'll be back in the WS.

STL definitely improved around the deadline by getting Holliday, Lugo, and DeRosa, but I still think Philly's lineup is more dangerous , especially 1-6.

Both starting rotations are excellent. With how Hamels has pitched thus far, I'd call Cliff Lee their ace now. Considering how good Wainwright and Pineiro have been (alongside Carpenter), Id probably give the edge to the Cards there, but its very close. Overall Id say Philly's bullpen is better, but Franklin has probably been the best closer in the bigs this year and light years better than Lidge, so thats basically a wash to0.

I dont think LA's pitching or batting is near as good as ethier, and doubt they beat ethier team best of 7, so I expect a great NLCS between the Phils and Cards.

Jaimoe

And beware of Rolen. He did his time here and St Louis and he was very injury proned and didn't get along with LaRussa. When he's on, he' great. But as you pointed out, he getting up there and is not what he used to be.

Rolen played exceptionally well with the Blue Jays for all of this season and most of last year. His power is down, but he still has a high OBA and his average is over .300. Also, Edwin ain't no Rolen in the field. Scott is the best fielding 3rd baseman since Brookes Robinson. His skill level in the field hasn't dropped off. In fact, he's never been better with the glove than he is this season. I for one, won't be happy sitting on the 3rd base side on Tuesday watching Edwin fumble balls hit by that fucking Jeter or prick A-Rod. At least Halladay is starting. Other than that, I don't mind the trade on a Jays perspective. I like the young arms they got.

BH

STL definitely improved around the deadline by getting Holliday, Lugo, and DeRosa, but I still think Philly's lineup is more dangerous , especially 1-6.

Both starting rotations are excellent. With how Hamels has pitched thus far, I'd call Cliff Lee their ace now. Considering how good Wainwright and Pineiro have been (alongside Carpenter), Id probably give the edge to the Cards there, but its very close. Overall Id say Philly's bullpen is better, but Franklin has probably been the best closer in the bigs this year and light years better than Lidge, so thats basically a wash to0.

I dont think LA's pitching or batting is near as good as ethier, and doubt they beat ethier team best of 7, so I expect a great NLCS between the Phils and Cards.

Hope you're right!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Eweezy

How about those cardiac kid Marlins!  Cody Ross my man blast one off that thing called a so called closer, Kevin Gregg.  I'm glad he's not with the fish anymore, he blew saves all through August last year for us.  I know Nick Johnson isn't sexy but the fish making a deadline deal is always big news for us down here.  Cantu back at 3rd and Bonifacio is "Mr. Super-Utility", wild card here we come.
Yikes!

Ruckus

Hope you're right!

SAYS:

"You're prognostications are preposterous, prejudicial, pontificatious, perfidious, pernicious, pterodactylish, and pugnacious."

I say Dodgers v. Cubs
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

TheBigChicken

Evan Longoria :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

mjkoehler

QuoteEvan Longoria ALBERT PUJOLS :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Now it reads correctly. wow what a f'n comback.

BH

The Cardinals comeback or Albert's comeback!   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bearass

QuoteThe Cardinals comeback or Albert's comeback!   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
FINALLY

mjkoehler

QuoteThe Cardinals comeback or Albert's comeback!   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
FINALLY
I could go both ways.

Eweezy

How do you come back from a collapse and sweep earlier this week against The Nats.  You bust your own broom out and sweep The Phillies.  Screw a wild card I want the division.  It's always nice to help Brad Lidge out with his ever ballooning ERA.  GO FISH!!! ;D
Yikes!