Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Yeah, Papi proves that if you are likeable enough, I guess the roids connection becomes an afterthought. Also, Chris Berman is a caricature of himself, I cant even stand listening to him talk football anymore let alone baseball.

All Star game came on at 8pm yesterday. I got home and turned the TV on at 9:10PM and they were in the bottom of the 2nd  ;D...Anyway, I was more entertained by that game than I can remember for any all star game, or baseball game for that matter. I think it really made me realize how sick of the Buccos and their organization that I cared enough about this game just to root for the National League (who I thought would win as I thought their pitching talent was better). Girardi got outcoached in multiple ways, but how dont you get A-Rod in this game, and how dont you at least substitute him as a pinch runner for Papi?! Also, Torii Hunter was laughable in his comments after the game saying they lost because the NL "threw more offspeed stuff than usual" and a couple other things. Gimme a break  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

Where are the Reds fans? I thought AMD would be all over this thread this year. I'm rooting for you guys...after the brew crew.

Good luck to everyone ones teams.

Jelly, things aren't looking good. But at least Tater hasn't tooted his own horn in here...yet. The pale hoses are on fire.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

aMillionDreams

I'm all over my Reds I'm just not talking about it here.  I almost went to tonight's game and I'm kicking myself for not, it was a good one, and it was Chris Sabo bobblehead night, and MC Hammer performed after the game!  I might go on Sunday.  It feels good to be in first.  I love our team and all the young pitching we have.  Mike Leake is a badass. Anyone see Wood take a perfect game into the 9th in his 3rd career start?  I try to catch every game on TV or at the stadium, although sometimes life interferes! GO REDS!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

BH

Reds win, Cards win.  This is gonna be good.

I'm honestly glad to have a fresh rival in the division.  It's about time somebody put up a good fight.

Dylan, is Aroldis Chapman worth keeping in my fantasy league or are the Reds going to just wait and let him start next year?  He's been taking up a roster spot all year.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMillionDreams

If they bring in Chapman this year it'll be as a middle reliever.  Volquez makes his comeback tonight and we've still got Homer Bailey sitting in Louisville.  They've been working Chapman in as a reliever down here so I'd say dump him.  I did in one of my leagues a few weeks ago.  

Yeah, it's going to be a fun race.  We're beating everybody these days except the Cards.  That series they have coming up is gonna be huge!

BH

One thing's for sure.  Walt Jockety is feeling pretty good about himself these days.....
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

QuoteOne thing's for sure.  Walt Jockety is feeling pretty good about himself these days.....

He definitely knows how to judge a good pickup. I know few who supported the Rolen trade at the time, but see how much good that's done us recently (especially in terms of team leadership). Volky got the job done right tonight, and he looks even better than he did before the break. Wood starts tomorrow against the Rockies 3-5 starter. Time to break out the brooms!  :D

Also, managed to grab tickets to the Wednesday game with Strasburg starting for the Nationals. Should be fun to see the "next big thing" in action.
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMillionDreams

I tempted to go to that game too.  We're throwing Arroyo who's looked really good of late.  ESPN is covering that game.  Man, being in first is fun.  Volquez looked great last night and we got run support for him.  Our starting pitching, as far as depth goes, has got to be the best in the MLB!  The Cards rotation is better at the top but our AAA staff is better than some MLB staffs (Pittsburgh and Cleveland I'm looking at you).  That's why we're a better regular season team but the Cards would be dangerous in the post season.

The DARK

Which, obviously, is why we cheer copiously for them to drop the ball in the wild card race. ;)

Disappointing game today. Nix needs to go, fast. That was Wood's 4th start, and he's got a 2.04 era. But still no wins. What's it gonna take to get him some run support?
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

Quote Man, being in first is fun.

Hell yeah, it is!   ;)

Ruckus

Quote Man, being in first is fun.

Hell yeah, it is!   ;)
[smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Aww hell, if it ain't the Cubbies, as long as it isn't the Cards, all's good.  

The depth you've developed in your pitching staff really is impressive.  Not to jinx you but that'll make you automatically competitive for years to come.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

I thought for sure a couple Rays fans would be all over the Garza no-no. Can the Rays fans tell  emhow they only draw 17,000 to a game. I know it was a Monday, but come on.  Your team is young, good, and has been good for a few years. 17,000?!

BH

QuoteI thought for sure a couple Rays fans would be all over the Garza no-no. Can the Rays fans tell  emhow they only draw 17,000 to a game. I know it was a Monday, but come on.  Your team is young, good, and has been good for a few years. 17,000?!

Yeah, I think The Dark and Dylan should be a little dissapointed in Reds fans as well.  Still tied for first and we are almost in August.  I can't believe they aren't selling more tickets.

.Walt

QuoteI thought for sure a couple Rays fans would be all over the Garza no-no. Can the Rays fans tell  emhow they only draw 17,000 to a game. I know it was a Monday, but come on.  Your team is young, good, and has been good for a few years. 17,000?!

Yeah, I think The Dark and Dylan should be a little dissapointed in Reds fans as well.  Still tied for first and we are almost in August.  I can't believe they aren't selling more tickets.

I'm not sure why that is. Would a Reds fan or Rays fan enlighten me. I know Dylan goes to games, so I don't blame him. I heard Rays fans last night blame it on driving over a bridge. Most people who go to games don't live 5 mins from the stadium, and lets face it, most stadiums aren't in the richest neighborhoods anyway.

ophidiophobia

I caught the last bit of the Garza game, and one of the first things I noticed was how empty the place was. I can understand if the team is bad, but the Rays are one of the top 4-5 teams in the bigs. It seems like there is too much going on in the state of Florida for fans to care. The Marlins' crowds look just the same and they have similar young talent.

aMillionDreams

I can't explain the lack of ticket sales.  They are selling better than past years but they're obviously not selling out every night.  You gotta understand, we haven't had a winner since we moved into the new place and Cincinnati fans became disgusted with sports in general in the late 90s/early 00s and the Reds are still bouncing back from that (that's what a strike and a decade of losing will do to a city).  That said, we should have more people showing up, I can't explain that away.

GO REDS!!!

capt. scotty

Went to my first Buccos game of the year saturday. We lost 9-2, but the free Steve Miller Band show after the game was pretty sweet  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

TheBigChicken

Everyone is so fucking broke down here in FLA. Pan handling is at an alltime high and it's really sad. Saying that , the people also really dont care. Their beloved yankees  are Tampa's TRUE team....SAD :-X
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

iLikeBeer

QuoteEveryone is so fucking broke down here in FLA. Pan handling is at an alltime high and it's really sad. Saying that , the people also really dont care. Their beloved yankees  are Tampa's TRUE team....SAD :-X

You beat me to it Chicken.  I was just going to say, the only time the Rays sell out is when the Yankees come to town.  Good 'ol George made Tampa New York south.  Don't they even broadcast Yankee games on the radio down there?

TheBigChicken

The major AM station 620WDAE broadcasts the Rays and very few I believe are on 1010AM (yankees) . red sox get a good crowd in as well at the fruitdome.  what a dump of a stadium.  What are your thoughts on A-Roid getting to 600 HR's....tainted
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry