Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quoteichiro signing a 5 year 100 million dollar deal. wow!! thats ridiculous. he's a great player and i would love to see him on my team, but he's not worth 20 mil.

torii is upset. he's probably not going to sign with the twins next year. great  :-/

Look at it this way: No player is worth 20 mil a season, but if you didn't sign Suzuki, Seattle could kiss their fans and any commitment to winning goodbye.

aMD

my little league team finished the year 6-5-2 and our all-stars were 0-7.  as you may be able to tell, our league is not highly competitive.

i've been pretty quiet in this thread because I've been trying to avoid watching the train wreck in cincinnati these days.

.Walt

Quoteichiro signing a 5 year 100 million dollar deal. wow!! thats ridiculous. he's a great player and i would love to see him on my team, but he's not worth 20 mil.

torii is upset. he's probably not going to sign with the twins next year. great  :-/

Look at it this way: No player is worth 20 mil a season, but if you didn't sign Suzuki, Seattle could kiss their fans and any commitment to winning goodbye.

did you hear the comment by the Marlins GM? it was funny as hell, it was when he first heard the news of the signing. he was saying how it was the end of the world and other stuff. either way it was funny. but for 20million dollars a season, you could find plenty of  fan attracttions.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Quotemy little league team finished the year 6-5-2 and our all-stars were 0-7.  as you may be able to tell, our league is not highly competitive.

i've been pretty quiet in this thread because I've been trying to avoid watching the train wreck in cincinnati these days.

its all about next year baby!! just promise me that next year won't be a rebuilding year.  ;)

red

I'm not going to elaborate on our last slow-pitch game where we gave up 29 runs, or our current six game losing streak.   :-/

As for the Jays, a series split with the Red Sox, a pretty good way to start the second half of the season.  Big series with the Yankees now...

.Walt

QuoteI'm not going to elaborate on our last slow-pitch game where we gave up 29 runs, or our current six game losing streak.   :-/

29 runs, WOW!! thats all i really can say.  

but the twins sweep of the A's is a very nice way to start the second half. things could get interesting.

red

Quote29 runs, WOW!! thats all i really can say.
Yeah, it was disgusting.  For the record, I was 3/3 and turned two double plays...

.Walt

Quote29 runs, WOW!! thats all i really can say.
Yeah, it was disgusting.  For the record, I was 3/3 and turned two double plays...

you did your part, its to bad that the team let you down. two double plays in softball is a tough thing to do.  

supernova9

Ichiro's contract is pretty unbelievable, but considering the market in Seattle, it's important for them to A) keep the team competitive by having stars that actually produce both offensively and defensively (unlike their signing of the under productive Richie Sexson, for example)  and B) having an Asian star player in the midst  of a population of thousands of Asian immigrants.  It also can't hurt the sales of team apparel both here and in Japan.

My Cubbies are having a heck of a run lately.  I'm concerned about run production, especially with Derek Lee having so few home runs at this point coupled with the fact that he's staring down a 5 game suspension, pending appeal.  That along with the injury to Cliff Floyd doesn't exactly give Sweet Lou the line-up flexibility he's had previously.  Also, Marquis and Hill have to work on their game.  If Hill isn't careful, he could lose his spot in the rotation.

.Walt

you gotta like the cubbies chances, but i'm going for the brew crew. its pretty much up to  whatever team wants it the most in NL central, because its still everyones to take.

aMD

Quotemy little league team finished the year 6-5-2 and our all-stars were 0-7.  as you may be able to tell, our league is not highly competitive.

its all about next year baby!! just promise me that next year won't be a rebuilding year.  ;)

i'm losing my star players actually.  i have one kid moving on who has serious major league potential.  He's 12 and throws 75 mph and has good stuff.  He can also hit. last season he was three inches shorter than me, now he's taller than me.  I'm 6'1".  Next year will be a whole new ballgame. Pun intended.  

.Walt

i'm losing my star players actually.  i have one kid moving on who has serious major league potential.  He's 12 and throws 75 mph and has good stuff.  He can also hit. last season he was three inches shorter than me, now he's taller than me.  I'm 6'1".  Next year will be a whole new ballgame. Pun intended.  

wow! and you taught him everything he knows!...right? ;)

.Walt

The Phillies just lost number [size=36]10,000[/size]

i actually like the phils

Jellyfish

Twin's sweep the A's in a 4 gamer!!!!! ;D
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

knotcameloose

Robby Cano comes through last night.

Here come the Yanks!

:D

Jaimoe

I felt like puking after Accardo balked in the tying run last night. Halladay pitched a gem too, but the Jays missing ace closer B.J. Ryan really hurts, especially in the tight games.

knotcameloose

QuoteI felt like puking after Accardo balked in the tying run last night. Halladay pitched a gem too, but the Jays missing ace closer B.J. Ryan really hurts, especially in the tight games.
Being a Yanks fan, it was amazing how aggressive they were on the basepaths last night.  Cairo getting thrown out would've been a goat move had the Jays pulled through.

That's how it goes though.

.Walt

QuoteTwin's sweep the A's in a 4 gamer!!!!! ;D

that was very nice, but tough series now. garza looking well this year, lets hope it can last.

.Walt

QuoteRobby Cano comes through last night.

Here come the Yanks!

boston has to be a little worried...a little. i don't see the yanks getting the wildcard, even though they have a better chance.  

cano...fantasy  8-)  

The Big Come Up

QuoteRobby Cano comes through last night.

Here come the Yanks!

I laugh. I really do. Not this time. I mean 8 games. If the yanks were 8 games up, almost everyone would say the sox are "dead" or have "no chance." Not with the yanks though, they barely squeak by and win a game and it's stop the presses! boston should look out! But i guess that's a side affect of being criminally over-rated for a decade. Have fun fighting it out for the wild card, while we play the devil rays at least 15 more times!