Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteI change my mind.  Kazmir throws a no-hitter tonight and propels us to charge back and take the series.  If we can somehow steal the game tonight.....

GO PHILS!

Why didn't you have the pig colorized as well...I guess it HAS  been that long since a philly championship....hey zip up your fly, were you even born when TUG GOT HIS... :-?

What does my age have to do with baseball?
Just curious. Tampa beat The Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. Tampa beat the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. It seems ONLY fitting that we whip your asses and take our first World Series. Face the facts Philly fans,we've OWNED youse' guys for quite sometime 8-)

Well I know all those events, but I only really follow the Phillies. The Phillies are different. Unlike the Eagles, the Phillies have actually wont a championship, and unlike the Phillies the Rays have finished in last place for the past 9 years.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

TheBigChicken

Yeah we were DEAD last every year. Something about last place will thicken the skin. Are you guys gonna get some snow tonight ? This is one really weird Series
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

red

Congrats Phillies!!!  Would've liked to see it stay in the AL East, but I've always liked the Phillies.  

That slider is nasty!

bowl of soup

Congrats.  I will cry in my beer.  Still feel fairly positive about my Rays.  This year did alot to erase 10 years of shit and the future is bright.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

TheBigChicken

Nice job Philly... :'(

YouAre_GivenToFly

[size=24]YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

pawpaw

Quote[size=24]YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

CONGRATS! How's the party been???
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

bowl of soup

Will you guys please burn down the city allready?  What's taking so long?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

jrod00

Beautiful.  Beautiful beautiful beautiful.  

bearass

bearass

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081104&content_id=3664022&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

what a sad day it will be when there is no more greg maddux i crafted my game off of his style and wish there could be more like him the man is a genius

TheBigChicken

Quote[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZdMtsWiDLo[/media]

this shit is funny
as badly as I wanted this thread to go away, that was HILARIOUS  ;D

YouAre_GivenToFly

Who's the champions!?!?!

2 months 'til spring training games start!

bold99

Fun offseason if you are a Yankee fan like myself.  I'm not like a lot of fans who think because we signed these guys we are guaranteed anything.  I still think the AL east is going to be a battle and the Sox probably have the best team, or the most proven team.  Should make the season pretty interesting now though with the Rays in the mix.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

capt. scotty

I cant stand baseball these days. I dont mind going to the ball park once or twice, but Im almost ashamed of the sport. No team, due to how much money their owner has or otherwise, should be able to spend 500$ million in offseason signings.

Until baseball has a salary cap, its pretty much a joke of a sport. Its almost like a video game.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteI cant stand baseball these days. I dont mind going to the ball park once or twice, but Im almost ashamed of the sport. No team, due to how much money their owner has or otherwise, should be able to spend 500$ million in offseason signings.

Until baseball has a salary cap, its pretty much a joke of a sport. Its almost like a video game.

No wonder everyone hates the Yankees. BTW all you Yankee fans, you'll rue the day the Yankees brass signed A.J. Burnett. He can't get through a year healthy, and he's not hard-nosed, something that you need to be pitching in the East and in the Bronx.

Santa got me 6 tickets to the upcoming World Baseball Classic starting in March. Canada plays the US on March 7th at the Rogers Centre in Toronto (other teams in this pool are Venezuela and Italy).

The roster hasn't been finalized, but so far on the mound could look like this for Canada: Jeff Francis, Scott Richmond and Jesse Crain are on board while Ryan Dempster, Rich Harden and Eric Gagne are all very interested. In the field, look for Russell Martin (LA Dodgers catcher), Jason Bay (Red Sox), Justin Morneau (Twinkies allstar), Joey Votto, Matt Stairs, Mark Teahen.

Too bad for the US (and Blue Jays fans) that Roy Halladay declined to play (he was rumoured to start Game 1) - but as a Halladay fan, I'm glad the workhorse and the best US-born pitcher will be ready for the '09 season. Canada should get through the round - I believe the top 2 teams go through. I'm worried about Venezuela though.

I'm picking me up one of these jerseys in the next couple of days (minus the name on the back):

aMillionDreams

QuoteI cant stand baseball these days. I dont mind going to the ball park once or twice, but Im almost ashamed of the sport. No team, due to how much money their owner has or otherwise, should be able to spend 500$ million in offseason signings.

You know that the yankees didn't make the playoffs, right?  And Tampa Bay did.  I agree with you to some extent, but money doesn't buy championship plain and simple.

CC is a prime example of that.  Who do the yanks really think they're going to get, the dominating brewers pitcher who almost young a cy young or the Indians pitcher who looked more like he was punching a clock than trying to win ball games? I'll tell you, he'll look like he did with the Indians only a year older and a few more pounds heavier.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

TheBigChicken

You know that the yankees didn't make the playoffs, right?  And Tampa Bay did.  I agree with you to some extent, but money doesn't buy championship plain and simple.

CC is a prime example of that.  Who do the yanks really think they're going to get, the dominating brewers pitcher who almost young a cy young or the Indians pitcher who looked more like he was punching a clock than trying to win ball games? I'll tell you, he'll look like he did with the Indians only a year older and a few more pounds heavier.
agreed...the yanks spent alot of money and I'm really not that impressed :-/

bold99

Baseball is still a great game.  Once the offseason is over and the games begin thats all that really matters.  You are always going to have great stories like Tampa Bay.  In a way it being the way it is without the salary cap almost makes it more interesting.   You get these great stories and upsets out of things like that.  As we have seen in the past $ only gets you so far thats why teams like Arizona and Florida have won championships in the past years.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

.Walt

i'm going to make the same points, but who cares?

c.c. sucked in the AL last year, who says that can't happen again. i'm a big fella, and i love big fella pitchers. the dude is going to throw his back out sometime. A.J., has he ever pitched a full season? kinda of a gutless pitcher. Tex, great player, too bad that he's going to be turning 29 soon, and then comes 30. i don't make the rules about it, but once someone turns 30 power numbers go down. he'll put up bobby abreu numbers. which i would take on the twins, but in new york they don't want 20-25HR's and a .280-.290 BA. so sure they'll look good for this or next year. too bad they got all them for life now, and part of life is growing old. you really think anyone will want to take those contract off the yankees hands after you had your way with them? fuck no! so yeah you look good for two years, but you also fucked yourself over for the future. btw the twins have the richest owner in baseball, but no one would ever know it.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction