Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteThe Americans will start caring about the World Baseball Classic when they lose a few more times. If there's one thing Americans don't like, it's losing.

It also takes time for any kind of world championship to get going.

That being said, I bet many if not most Canadian hockey fans would rather hoist the Stanley Cup than win a hockey gold medal at the Olympics (although Canadian players treat playing for the national team as an honour and a duty, not a chore).

You're off base.  Americans will start caring about this....never.  International competition in baseball has no real history and, let's face it, baseball is on its death bed in the USA.  If losing is the one thing that Americans hate, what is that one thing for Canadians?  Success?  ;)

That's actually an interesting comment. We've been accused of eating our own countless times over. When someone or some team does well or receives lots of attention, people (and the media too) try to knock 'em down. It's quite troubling, embarassing and infuriating. A current example of this is hockey phenom John Tavares (who broke Gretzky's OHL points record), predicted to be the #1 pick in this summer's NHL draft (he's like a better but less gritty version of Mike Richards). Media has been picking holes in his game and praising a Swede defenseman they've never seen play. Amazing.

Ruckus

QuoteThe Americans will start caring about the World Baseball Classic when they lose a few more times. If there's one thing Americans don't like, it's losing.

It also takes time for any kind of world championship to get going.

That being said, I bet many if not most Canadian hockey fans would rather hoist the Stanley Cup than win a hockey gold medal at the Olympics (although Canadian players treat playing for the national team as an honour and a duty, not a chore).

Perhaps you are right.  I do believe that we are not made aware of the reasons for withdrawals and whether the team is mandating it or it is left to the players.  Shoot, I'm pissed that Matsui stated early that he will not play for Japan because his sole duty is to the team that is paying him yet.

As for the latter comment, maybe it's because the Canadians are already awesome at hockey and the Cup has great historical significance.  Going by your time or existence theory or just plain weight of accomplishment, I guess any American fan would much rather see the US win the World Cup than enjoy their Chicago Fire win the MLS.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

I guess we can take this to the baseball thread tater....

I really like this move (crede). I mean, sure it's not a huge deal, but to the twins and their fans it is. It's nice to have him, but it's sweeter now that the sox don't. I read somewhere that he had 4HR's and batted .400 against us, all in very minimal time last year.

And it seems every year I have to set a handful twins fans straight about hating on A.J. I personally love the guy. The guy lays it on the line every play.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jbones72

The Mets season could be over before it began! Add this to the Jets and Rangers and this is shaping up to be a miserable sports season for me!

Saturday, February 28, 2009
Johan Santana out indefinitely

Things are going from bad to worse with Johan Santana.

First, it was just a sore elbow, likely from throwing for the first time in months. Expected to miss only one start. Then it was two starts. Now, Santana is sidelined indefinitely.

Via Amazin' Stories:

"We have 162 games for what we want to accomplish," Santana said, the day after his expected spring training debut was canceled. "Everything starts April 6. Whether it's going to be me or anyone else, it's tough to say right now."

Santana met with manager Jerry Manuel and general manager Omar Minaya early Saturday morning and said the decision to be supremely cautious with his pitching arm is unanimous.

"I'd rather take my time," he said. "I haven't even faced any live hitters."

The article goes on to explain that Santana is still slated for a bullpen session on Sunday and would like to get two or three under his belt before facing live batters.

Take your time.

Via David Lennon:

As for the worst-case scenario, Santana throws on Sunday, still feels the elbow and the Mets finally decide to send him back to New York for tests. Santana said minutes ago that the elbow still is tight -- he's been told it's the triceps tendon behind the elbow -- and he is considering the possibility that Opening Day might now be questionable for him.

I had that gut feeling when Santana missed his first "start" but I thought nothing of it. Things aren't exactly grim, but any time the ace of the staff is "out indefinitely" you start to worry.

I believe now is the time to worry.

Jaimoe

QuoteThe Mets season could be over before it began! Add this to the Jets and Rangers and this is shaping up to be a miserable sports season for me!

Saturday, February 28, 2009
Johan Santana out indefinitely

But at least you aren't from Toronto: The Raptors are the biggest disappointment in the NBA this year; the Leafs are rebuilding for the first time since the 60's and won't make the playoffs; the Blue Jays did nothing in the off-season and might finish last in the East this season; MLS's Toronto FC sucked again (but had great attendance) and the Toronto Argonauts finished 4-14 in the CFL in '08.

It's a good thing I'm a Boston Bruins and Syracuse Orangeman fan or I'd really lose it.

On an unrelated note, former Twins 3rd baseman Cory Koskie made Team Canada for the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

.Walt

On an unrelated note, former Twins 3rd baseman Cory Koskie made Team Canada for the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

nice!

i remember when Cory left the twins. Took out a full page in the Star Tribune to tell the twins fans goodbye, and thanks. Pure class from a good ball player.

Jaimoe

nice!

i remember when Cory left the twins. Took out a full page in the Star Tribune to tell the twins fans goodbye, and thanks. Pure class from a good ball player.

A concussion ended his career, but this tournament may give him a second chance to kick-start his pro career again.

.Walt

nice!

A concussion ended his career, but this tournament may give him a second chance to kick-start his pro career again.

i hope so. but he has to be pretty old by now. late 30's? maybe in his 40's?

Jaimoe

nice!

i hope so. but he has to be pretty old by now. late 30's? maybe in his 40's?

He's 35. There's still some game left in him, if his head is clear.

.Walt

Is this speculation, or is he really thinking about this. I hope he's really thinking about this.

Jaimoe

QuoteIs this speculation, or is he really thinking about this. I hope he's really thinking about this.

He made Team Canada, which is a good team on paper, so I think that if he perfoms well, look for a comeback.

Here's an article from Canada's National Post newspaper:

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1337602

aMillionDreams

What the hell is Manny thinking?  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Jaimoe

QuoteWhat the hell is Manny thinking?  

And why did he do a diving catch cutting off a throw from centre field, take a bathroom break during a game into the Green Monster and put his BBQ up for sale on ebay? The guy is a different cat.  

aMillionDreams

QuoteWhat the hell is Manny thinking?  

And why did he do a diving catch cutting off a throw from centre field, take a bathroom break during a game into the Green Monster and put his BBQ up for sale on ebay? The guy is a different cat.  

Well, and his agent sucks.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

bowl of soup

Anyone picking the Yankees to finish above the Rays (almost everyone at ESPN with the exception of Buster Olney) is lazy and dumb.  Go position by position and we are better at almost everyone.  Even 3rd at this point - who would you rather have as of today, A-roid or Longoria?

Oh, and our rotation is about 10 deep now.  Yes, that is former top Astro prospect Carlos Hernandez tearing it up after about 3 years off.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Leontheslut

The Yanks are overrated every year. They throw tons of money at names and it never gets them anywhere. They picked up C.C. that's awesome! They will probably get to the playoffs. But then as usual C.C. becomes Dontrell Willis once the playoffs start. Plus now that A-Roids is out it should make the road a bit tougher to ho.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Jaimoe

QuoteThe Yanks are overrated every year. They throw tons of money at names and it never gets them anywhere. They picked up C.C. that's awesome! They will probably get to the playoffs. But then as usual C.C. becomes Dontrell Willis once the playoffs start. Plus now that A-Roids is out it should make the road a bit tougher to ho.

And don't trust A.J. Burnett one bit. He was comfortable for the first time in his career last season because he had a great pitching coach and relied heavily on Roy Halliday.

Leontheslut

QuoteThe Yanks are overrated every year. They throw tons of money at names and it never gets them anywhere. They picked up C.C. that's awesome! They will probably get to the playoffs. But then as usual C.C. becomes Dontrell Willis once the playoffs start. Plus now that A-Roids is out it should make the road a bit tougher to ho.

And don't trust A.J. Burnett one bit. He was comfortable for the first time in his career last season because he had a great pitching coach and relied heavily on Roy Halliday.
Well if anything it should be a fun division to watch with them, the sox and the rays now being contenders.

I just can't see how you can bet against the rays pitching staff. They have four above average starters. There bullpen is decent as well.

Of course I'm looking for a repeat from the WORLD FUCKIN' CHAMPIONS!
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Jaimoe

Well if anything it should be a fun division to watch with them, the sox and the rays now being contenders.

I just can't see how you can bet against the rays pitching staff. They have four above average starters. There bullpen is decent as well.

After the Jays, I was pulling for the Devil Rays to win it all. I've watched them many many times over the years and know the team fairly well. I doubt Jays owners will be giving away Jays-Rays comp tickets this year.

Leontheslut

After the Jays, I was pulling for the Devil Rays to win it all. I've watched them many many times over the years and know the team fairly well. I doubt Jays owners will be giving away Jays-Rays comp tickets this year.
It's funny because the Rays went from having like 1,000 fans to 100,000 fans.

I remember during the WS they were interviewing this lady and she said the funniest thing ever.

She said something along the lines of...

"I have been supporting this team for over 20 years." Kinda amazing considering they have only been around ten years....