Fantasy Football 2010

Started by capt._headdy, Aug 08, 2010, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteTHAT was fun. Thanks guys.
I wanted Ray Rice, though but I like my team.

I gotta ask, did you and only you draft your team?

If so, you made some nice picks and Im impressed with your football knowledge.  8-)

hey, that's sexist! i've been doing my homework, but it's not hard when they rank them for you, i watch ESPN and they tell you who to pick, the Sports Guy tells you who to pick, the only issues I had were who was supposed to be on my bench. I do have a co-manager for emergency purposes (i had never done an actual draft so i wasn't sure of the actual WAY the screen would look)...also my brother gave me some pointers. i wanted ray rice because i was a rutgers fan living in Jersey and i loved watching him play, he's a fast little f-er. basically i had a good idea of who i wanted going in like everyone else.

i wasn't defending my picks, but no one said we weren't allowed to have co-managers so i added one to do trades (i don't know how to do those and a few of the other things) also i needed a co-manager because the buckeyes had their first game last thursday and also the jersey shore was on and j woww was supposed to fight sammi sweetheart. so there.

i still don't really understand how the trades work but
ruckus told me thurs night after the draft that i should make some changes so i did.
Way to listen to the drunk guy who got towed. ;D. Seriously, I didn't say anything other than mentioning that u didn't need two kickers rostered right?

Anyways, back to me discussing what I do in my other Real Money leagues ::)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

QuoteTHAT was fun. Thanks guys.
I wanted Ray Rice, though but I like my team.

I gotta ask, did you and only you draft your team?

If so, you made some nice picks and Im impressed with your football knowledge.  8-)

hey, that's sexist! i've been doing my homework, but it's not hard when they rank them for you, i watch ESPN and they tell you who to pick, the Sports Guy tells you who to pick, the only issues I had were who was supposed to be on my bench. I do have a co-manager for emergency purposes (i had never done an actual draft so i wasn't sure of the actual WAY the screen would look)...also my brother gave me some pointers. i wanted ray rice because i was a rutgers fan living in Jersey and i loved watching him play, he's a fast little f-er. basically i had a good idea of who i wanted going in like everyone else.

i wasn't defending my picks, but no one said we weren't allowed to have co-managers so i added one to do trades (i don't know how to do those and a few of the other things) also i needed a co-manager because the buckeyes had their first game last thursday and also the jersey shore was on and j woww was supposed to fight sammi sweetheart. so there.

i still don't really understand how the trades work but
ruckus told me thurs night after the draft that i should make some changes so i did.
Way to listen to the drunk guy who got towed. ;D. Seriously, I didn't say anything other than mentioning that u didn't need two kickers rostered right?

Anyways, back to me discussing what I do in my other Real Money leagues ::)

yeah you told me drop my second kicker. i didn't even know i had 2.
dude, don't give me advice when you're drunk and towed..that's the worst time to discuss football.  ;) (ps sorry bout that)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Hey Penny,

Was just checkin' your lineup.  The "D" position means ANY defensive player.  A middle linebacker or any linebacker will always be a safer play than a defensive lineman like Tuck.  A safe and simple way to narrow down your choices is to go to the players tab, choose defensive players and search for players sorted by Week 1 projected totals.  It's not surefire but it will give you a better idea of players to pick up and play.  There are a number of LBs available that would be a better play than Tuck or Dockett for that matter.

You can use this projection search for any player/position.  Again, it can be way off but overall, it's not a bad tool if you are generally unfamiliar with the matchups and players.

Ruckus

I had my IDP only league draft last night.  It should be interesting.  We got ten people.  You start 2DTs, 2DEs, 3LBs, 2Ss, 2CBs, 1DB, 1DL and 1D.  It's gonna get wacky!  My first time trying an all IDP league.  Sort of a pilot to tweak for next year.

Has anyone else tried one?

Ruckus

AND I am missing Dungen tonight at the Ottobar because I have my last draft.  I'm pissed but I'm the commissioner and felt like it would be majorly dickish to move the date and time so that I could go to a show. >:(

pawpaw

You guys ready?!

Looks like I've got aMD this first week...  >:(
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

Thanks for the trade Crispy! Im a bit surprised you liked Santana more than Nicks, but I do think Santana is in for possibly a career year with McNabb there. If Jahvid can stay healthy, I love him this year.

Much better trade than BBill's offer of Bernard Pollard for Nicks  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pawpaw

Maybe I'm overestimating the role and scoring potential of the IDPs, but as I see it Pollard scored more points than Nicks did last season. Dude's been highly productive and consistent over the past several years, racking up a lot of tackles and generally causing backfield mayhem. You were the only one who didn't have a DB, and had a good reserve of potential W/R guys, so I figured it was a good trade.

Let me know if you'd like to reconsider...  ::)

capt. scotty

Maybe I'm overestimating the role and scoring potential of the IDPs, but as I see it Pollard scored more points than Nicks did last season. Dude's been highly productive and consistent over the past several years, racking up a lot of tackles and generally causing backfield mayhem. You were the only one who didn't have a DB, and had a good reserve of potential W/R guys, so I figured it was a good trade.

You cant just go by total points. If that was the case, most of teh 1st round would be QBs.

Its important to have good IDP's but theres a reason the consensus best IDP Patrick Willis didnt go until the 9th round or so. I do like Pollard, but I dont think Id say he's been consistent the last few years seeing as how KC straight up cut him after the preseason last year. I admittedly have a mancrush on him since he broke Brady's knee a couple years ago though. I actually didnt draft a DB because you had 2 and I figured youd drop one. The best I could offer you for him is Fred Taylor.

I know some people have like 5 IDP's, but I feel like backup IDP's at this point are useless. It makes more sense to me to stock up your bench with RBs or WRs who could burst onto the scene. Then if they dont, when your LBs bye week comes up you just drop some WR and pickup a LB fill in for a week.

I doubt you drop Pollard despite me saying that, but there's a reason myself, Ruckus, and AMD dont have any backup IDPs  ;)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pawpaw

You cant just go by total points. If that was the case, most of teh 1st round would be QBs.

Its important to have good IDP's but theres a reason the consensus best IDP Patrick Willis didnt go until the 9th round or so. I do like Pollard, but I dont think Id say he's been consistent the last few years seeing as how KC straight up cut him after the preseason last year. I admittedly have a mancrush on him since he broke Brady's knee a couple years ago though. I actually didnt draft a DB because you had 2 and I figured youd drop one. The best I could offer you for him is Fred Taylor.

I know some people have like 5 IDP's, but I feel like backup IDP's at this point are useless. It makes more sense to me to stock up your bench with RBs or WRs who could burst onto the scene. Then if they dont, when your LBs bye week comes up you just drop some WR and pickup a LB fill in for a week.

I doubt you drop Pollard despite me saying that, but there's a reason myself, Ruckus, and AMD dont have any backup IDPs  ;)

;D So you three are the best?

...and I'm one of those guys with 5 IDPs!!! I auto-drafted myself to that point, though I do like the idea of having 4 IDPs, with two Pollard/Branch/Bell/Dawkins type DBs who have the potential to get 100+ tackles a season and can fit in at the D or DB slot. I also like the idea of having a healthy stable of backup W/R guys, which I don't have! Oh well, we'll see how things go. The biggest lesson I've learned so far in my freshman FF season is to draft live...

...and why aren't quarterbacks seen as more valuable? I can understand the need to draft the top RBs and WRs early because there's a priority placed on them and they'll be gone if you don't act, but why isn't there such an urgency with QBs? Especially with the point potential that top QBs have these dayz. Teach me, wise fantasy sage headdy...  ;D

ManNamedTruth

I'm in two money leagues this year, and I feel pretty good about my teams. I have yet to make the playoffs since I've been playing so I think this is my year.

This team looks like the best on paper I've had yet. I wasn't even present for the draft, but had my pre-rankings set pretty well. I got the 2nd pick overall, my highest pick ever in fantasy. *= free agent pick ups.

QB Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith*
WR Miles Austin, Calvin Johnson, DeSean Jackson, TJ Houshmandzadeh
RB Adrian Peterson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Beanie Wells, Michael Bush, Brandon Jacobs*, Laurence Maroney
TE Vernon Davis, John Carlson
K Rob Bironas
DEF NYJ, Cin

This team looks alright but i definitely like the other one more.

QB Aaron Rodgers, Donovan McNabb
WR DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian*, Pierre Garcon, Devory Henderson
RB Steven Jackson, Jamaal Charles, Marion Barber, Ronnie Brown, Fred Jackson
TE Vernon Davis
K Lawrence Tynes
DEF Pittsburgh
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Taterbug

...and I'm one of those guys with 5 IDPs!!! I auto-drafted my to that point, though I like the idea of having two Pollard/Branch/Bell/Dawkins type DBs who have the potential to get 100+ tackles a season and can fit in at the D or DB slot. I also like the idea of having a healthy stable of backup W/R guys, which I don't have! Oh well, we'll see how things go. The biggest lesson I've learned so far in my freshman FF season is to draft live...

...and why aren't quarterbacks seen as more valuable? I can understand the need to draft the top RBs and WRs early because there's a priority placed on them and they'll be gone if you don't act, but why isn't there such an urgency with QBs? Especially with the point potential that top QBs have these dayz. Teach me, wise fantasy sage headdy...  ;D

I don't want to step on Headdy's toes here but there are only about 4 Q.B.'s that have the potential to put up numbers of an above average R.B. depending on the scoring system. Once you get past those top 4 Q.B.'s  they are all gonna be about the same.  unless you subtract points for interceptions. In that case stay away from Cutler.  
     I'm in a keeper dynasty league and have had Peyton Manning since his rookie year, I also have Chris Johnson as my other keeper.  I was in a huge conundrum on who too keep this year when I also had Ray Rice last year. Needless to say I kicked ass and took home the trophy and all the cash.  We are entering the 17th year of our league.
It's the only league i'm in, I have tried to juggle 2 or 3 other leagues and I don't do as well in my big money league. I guess I don't have the mental capacity to handle it.  Oh well...Sunday mornings the wife and daughter go to church and I get my game face on with a little coffee and some scooby snacks and plop my ass in front of my T.V. with the stat tracker going and all is right with the world.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Crispy

QuoteThanks for the trade Crispy! Im a bit surprised you liked Santana more than Nicks, but I do think Santana is in for possibly a career year with McNabb there. If Jahvid can stay healthy, I love him this year.

Well, we'll see if Best doesn't make me look like an idiot for making that trade. I like Moss over Nicks for the edge in yards, just seems like he'll get more catches, and hopefully that'll mean more TDs this time.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

pawpaw

...and I'm one of those guys with 5 IDPs!!! I auto-drafted my to that point, though I like the idea of having two Pollard/Branch/Bell/Dawkins type DBs who have the potential to get 100+ tackles a season and can fit in at the D or DB slot. I also like the idea of having a healthy stable of backup W/R guys, which I don't have! Oh well, we'll see how things go. The biggest lesson I've learned so far in my freshman FF season is to draft live...

I don't want to step on Headdy's toes here but there are only about 4 Q.B.'s that have the potential to put up numbers of an above average R.B. depending on the scoring system. Once you get past those top 4 Q.B.'s  they are all gonna be about the same.  unless you subtract points for interceptions. In that case stay away from Cutler.  
     I'm in a keeper dynasty league and have had Peyton Manning since his rookie year, I also have Chris Johnson as my other keeper.  I was in a huge conundrum on who too keep this year when I also had Ray Rice last year. Needless to say I kicked ass and took home the trophy and all the cash.  We are entering the 17th year of our league.
It's the only league i'm in, I have tried to juggle 2 or 3 other leagues and I don't do as well in my big money league. I guess I don't have the mental capacity to handle it.  Oh well...Sunday mornings the wife and daughter go to church and I get my game face on with a little coffee and some scooby snacks and plop my ass in front of my T.V. with the stat tracker going and all is right with the world.

Again, I'm pretty clueless on the strategy of drafting for the long haul of the season, considering bye-weeks and injuries, but with our scoring system, the top-10 points leaders for last season would've been:

1      Chris Johnson, RB      TEN      343.9
2      Drew Brees, QB      NO      300.52
3      Peyton Manning, QB      IND      296
4      Brett Favre, QB      MIN      293.08
5      Matt Schaub, QB      HOU      291.8
6      Aaron Rodgers, QB      GB      290.36
7      Adrian Peterson, RB      MIN      283.9
8      Tom Brady, QB      NE      274.92
9      Tony Romo, QB      DAL      274.32
10      Philip Rivers, QB      SD      273.16

This is including receiving yards and TDs for backs, and subtracting interception points for QBs. If the demand is for top RBs and WRs first, then I understand needing to draft them in the first rounds, but I just don't understand why QBs aren't generally the most sought after, first round picks.

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the complete picture, clue me in vets...

aMillionDreams

QuoteI had my IDP only league draft last night.  It should be interesting.  We got ten people.  You start 2DTs, 2DEs, 3LBs, 2Ss, 2CBs, 1DB, 1DL and 1D.  It's gonna get wacky!  My first time trying an all IDP league.  Sort of a pilot to tweak for next year.

Has anyone else tried one?

Walt and I are in an all IDP league this year.  I think it's going to be fun.  We only have six teams so our teams are pretty packed.  We have the same positions except for the DB and DL spots.

Game on!  Good luck, Bbill! Yer gonna need it!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

Again, I'm pretty clueless on the strategy of drafting for the long haul of the season, considering bye-weeks and injuries, but with our scoring system, the top-10 points leaders for last season would've been:

This is including receiving yards and TDs for backs, and subtracting interception points for QBs. If the demand is for top RBs and WRs first, then I understand needing to draft them in the first rounds, but I just don't understand why QBs aren't generally the most sought after, first round picks.

You pretty much just made my and Taters point by posting that. I just looked at the Top 25 players by points last year. There was only 7 RBs and 1 WR, yet QBs like Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton finished in teh Top 25.

Simple economics with top RB and WRs my friend. Less supply = More demand.

Penny Lane

NO needs to get a lead so i can see Pierre Thomas!

Ruckus

You pretty much just made my and Taters point by posting that. I just looked at the Top 25 players by points last year. There was only 7 RBs and 1 WR, yet QBs like Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton finished in teh Top 25.

Simple economics with top RB and WRs my friend. Less supply = More demand.

BBill,

The ultimate goal of drafting is to maximize value at each pick you take.  Sometimes that means taking someone that you may not score as much as someone else your eyeing but you know the former is going to go off the board earlier while you can wait for the latter.

More importantly, you are looking for the league setup.  How many of each position can I start.  Since in our format, it's three RBs and three WR while only one QB, quality RBs and WRs become scarcer.  The raises the issue of point differential.  For instance, you can take Rodgers in the 1st round but you may grab Rivers in the 4th or Kolb in the 7th and they end up scoring only 60 points less than Rodgers.  That makes a difference of 3 to 4 points a game on average.  However, if you don't grab a top RB that is going to get all the carries and goal line touches, after the 1st tier, you are looking at time share running backs.  Your 3rd RB and 3rd receiver might only score 90-100 points in the season.  While the top ones are scoring over 200.  You then have a much greater average point differential to overcome.

THat kinda stuff.  

If Aaron Rodgers 400 points, I'd prolly take him first.

Hawkeye

Just got back at 2AM this morning from Italia.  Checking out the teams now...

Penny, you drafted a Hawkeye (Greenway)?  Nice choice with Greenway.  He scored more points than AP!

My team...has potential.  We'll see.  Autodraft did okay, I guess, although I only listed about 10 players I liked and let the computer do the rest.  Not too sure about my defense though.  Haven't even heard of any of those guys except Vrabel, and it looks like I've got 2 guys starting who aren't even active this week.  Looks like I need to go looking for defenders...
We could.

Penny Lane

QuoteJust got back at 2AM this morning from Italia.  Checking out the teams now...

Penny, you drafted a Hawkeye (Greenway)?  Nice choice with Greenway.  He scored more points than AP!

My team...has potential.  We'll see.  Autodraft did okay, I guess, although I only listed about 10 players I liked and let the computer do the rest.  Not too sure about my defense though.  Haven't even heard of any of those guys except Vrabel, and it looks like I've got 2 guys starting who aren't even active this week.  Looks like I need to go looking for defenders...

Welcome back! Post some pictures..
I got a couple big tenners--!