Main Menu

The Sadies

Started by Destinedeye, Aug 30, 2006, 01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Oct 2 in Japan (& it's now in my shopping basket!)
Didn't you say you're seeing them soon K?

I LOVE that cover!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteOct 2 in Japan (& it's now in my shopping basket!)
Didn't you say you're seeing them soon K?

I LOVE that cover!
October 21st!!!

I've missed them the past few times they've been around, but not this one!  Can't wait (for the album and show).

But yeah, what a lovely cover.  This is gonna be my Autumn soundtrack, I can feel it.   ;D

red

Oh yeah, it rules!

dragonboy

No comments on the new album K?
I've got mine but it won't ship for a while yet...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

Oh it's wonderful!  Possibly their best effort, but I haven't given myself enough time with it.  Yet.  I think I just want to experience them live already and enjoy the albums as an afterthought of sorts.  Does that make any sense?

dragonboy

QuoteOh it's wonderful!  Possibly their best effort, but I haven't given myself enough time with it.  Yet.  I think I just want to experience them live already and enjoy the albums as an afterthought of sorts.  Does that make any sense?
Absolutely! Pleased you like it.  
Funnily enough a track from Favourite Colours came on earlier today when I was shuffling through my player. They have such a unique guitar sound!

red

QuoteAbsolutely! Pleased you like it.  
Funnily enough a track from Favourite Colours came on earlier today when I was shuffling through my player. They have such a unique guitar sound!
They're one of those bands that you can recognize within seconds, love when that happens.  I forgot to mention the beautiful hardcover packaging, hopefully yours is the same.  

It's funny, my mom's down with these guys because Dallas and Travis' dad is a member of The Good Brothers, whom she's seen numerous times over the years.  Wasn't enough to convince her to come to the show with me next week though.   ;D

dragonboy

How cool is your mum?!!

My mum claims to have slept on the same floor as the Rolling Stones one time when she was nursing up in London. I cough bullshit everytime she tells the story but it's still a good one  ;)

red

Last night I witnessed what was quite possibly the most impressive performance I've seen.  What a show.

The way the two brothers/guitarists (and the other two members for that matter) feed off one another is incredible; the way they weave their notes in and around their opposite, how they'd finish each other's solos and most impressively, when they played notes on the others guitar while strumming their own (without missing a note!).  Incredible.  

DB, they covered "Stay a Little Longer" a song they learned from "listening to one of Willie Nelson's live albums when they were young".  Not sure if it was originally done by Willie, but it was one hell of a song.  

Sharply dressed, so polite, and so gracious, they played a wonderful mix of old and new, including my favourite "1000 Cities Falling (Part 1)" that left every of the maybe 75 attendees in awe, no wonder we received an eight song encore (!) which included a Gordon Lightfoot cover ("Redwood Hills" - one they've recorded as a part of The Unintended), a honored request cover of Hank Williams' "Ramblin Man" and an amazing finale with their take on Eddie Holland's/The Who's/Motorhead's "Leaving Here"!

I was reluctant to make the two hour drive alone on a Sunday evening knowing I'd have to work a mere three hours after I'd return home but it was so much more than worth it.  Quite an 'old' crowd - I've never seen so many couples dancing at a show, it was lovely.  A cute girl commented on my Hold Steady sweater as I sipped my beer on the balcony and sailed away with The Sadies captaining my ship.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dragonboy

So did you get her number?!!

Excellent review K! I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, pleased you had such a good time .

Stay A Little Longer was originally by Bob Wills, check your PMs in about 5  ;)

red

QuoteSo did you get her number?!!
I omitted the part about how she was with her boyfriend (whom didn't look too pleased).   ;) ;D

BH

Nice review!  I've got to see those guys soon.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

red

QuoteLast night I witnessed what was quite possibly the most impressive performance I've seen.  What a show.

The way the two brothers/guitarists (and the other two members for that matter) feed off one another is incredible; the way they weave their notes in and around their opposite, how they'd finish each other's solos and most impressively, when they played notes on the others guitar while strumming their own (without missing a note!).  Incredible.  

DB, they covered "Stay a Little Longer" a song they learned from "listening to one of Willie Nelson's live albums when they were young".  Not sure if it was originally done by Willie, but it was one hell of a song.  

Sharply dressed, so polite, and so gracious, they played a wonderful mix of old and new, including my favourite "1000 Cities Falling (Part 1)" that left every of the maybe 75 attendees in awe, no wonder we received an eight song encore (!) which included a Gordon Lightfoot cover ("Redwood Hills" - one they've recorded as a part of The Unintended), a honored request cover of Hank Williams' "Ramblin Man" and an amazing finale with their take on Eddie Holland's/The Who's/Motorhead's "Leaving Here"!

I was reluctant to make the two hour drive alone on a Sunday evening knowing I'd have to work a mere three hours after I'd return home but it was so much more than worth it.  Quite an 'old' crowd - I've never seen so many couples dancing at a show, it was lovely.  A cute girl commented on my Hold Steady sweater as I sipped my beer on the balcony and sailed away with The Sadies captaining my ship.
Just got home from the show tonight and it was every bit as magical as my first live Sadies experience, if not even more.  

Same venue, but the balcony wasn't open which forced the crowd (which was about twice as large as last time) to be on it's feet, which was a great thing.  Their 20+ song included songs from their entire catalog, and some wonderful covers scattered throughout; this time I was familiar with "Stay a Little Longer", so that was great.  Love's "A House is Not a Motel" and Merle Haggard's "Working Man Blues" were the standouts covers-wise.  So many stand-outs from their material, let's just say "Anna Leigh" was my favourite this time.        

After the set was done Dallas lead the band onto the stage and said "You've been great, we've been having fun, we'd like to do ten more songs for you."  The tore through those, took a smoke break and came back and absolute tore the roof off the place with one more song, which I can't place.  It was a slow, brooding gem about a woman, I'll try find out which song it was.  

Once again they were sharply dressed, extremely polite and so very gracious.  They thanked the crowd after each song, and dedicated numerous songs to the employees of local businesses and the opening band.  No frills, just absolute rock perfection.  I can't think of a better guitar duo than Dallas and Travis, it's only fitting that they came from the same womb.  Oh, they totally did the awesome play-each-others-guitar thing again.    

They take the cake as the best non-Tom Waits show I've seen this year; GO SEE THEM!  Once again I made the drive alone and it was so very worth it.  I'm embarrassed to admit I was contemplating not going earlier today.  

And BH, I'd go with Stories Often Told or their live album.  New Seasons is great, but a shade less 'rock' than their earlier efforts.