Your favorite weblog-/zine

Started by O, Aug 04, 2008, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Hi everybody,

I want some advices from you. I'm looking for a good weblog or webzine to discover new music, get all the hot news and stuff. Currently I check Pitchfork, Stereogum, Sonic Slang and a Dutch one called Kindamuzik. However, I'm not very pleased with either one of them. Pitchfork and Stereogum because they have this arrogant hipster thing going on, Sonic because it has so little info -  I don't want to have to check 10 websites everyday to get my news, I want 1 or 2 -and the three of them because they're so focussed on American indierock, wich I like every once in a while, but I also like Dutch singer-songwriters, Polish klezmer, Swedish folk, French hiphop, whatever. Kindamuzik has all that, but it has quite a varied range of writers, some of wich are good, some of wich are not so good, so you never know if the review will be crap, and they don't have much news.

So, my question is: what are your favorite webzines/-blogs that have all of this:
1. lots and lots of music news on almost every music genre; news meaning upcoming release dates, but also stupid fun and posts about Ryan Adam's weblog
2. good insight reviews on music from all over the world
3. no hipster mentality.

I guess it's a bit unrealistic to want all this on just one website, but you never know. Just post ahead!
I'm ready when you are

CC

O, first of all, dump kindamuzik. they suck. replace that with www.fileunder.nl
not just because they have extremely amazing photographers working for them but also because they always give attention to dutch independent bands (and swedish klezmer)

Dodobird

Jambase is my go to:
http://www.jambase.com/
Pretty much has everything you are looking for except for the non-hipster mentality.

Also, check out archive.org for a collection of live shows. MMJ has about 170 shows posted there. Enjoy!  :)
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

Killgies

Jambase.com is good one.  
MMJ Forrums  "other music" topic very helpful for finding new music
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

tomEisenbraun

maybe this is assy to post here, but I've started up a blog that's intended to explore different sides of the state of music and the industry and work through ideas and all of that business. I've put some heart and soul into it, and there's more and better ideas (I think) to come. I'd dig it if you'd check it out at http://pirateradiosermon.blogspot.com

Also, have you checked out www.aquariumdrunkard.com -- I think they started off with alt-country, but now that that scene's sort of worn itself out, they've moved a lot bigger. Lot of good downloads and links into new music there.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Jaimoe

Jambands.ca (I've written reviews for this site for 5 years)
soundproofmagazine.com (I got hired for this site when it nationally re-launched two months ago)
chartattack.com
Now Magazine (free-press Toronto weekly)
Eye Weekly (free-press Toronto weekly)
Rolling Stone
Pitchfork
Jambands.com  
All Music Guide