Main Menu

Mitch Hedberg

Started by Love_Dog, Sep 13, 2008, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Dogg

Mitch Hedberg has released (post-humously-2Pac style)) a new cd called, "Do You Believe In Gosh?"  Apparently he was in the works to release another album when he died, and was working on some new material.  This was recorded about two months before he died so it has a lot of new material, and some already heard stuff.  All the old stuff is the good stuff, too!  

It's Mitch, so there's nothing missing.  Oh sure, he bombs on a few jokes, but he comes back everytime.  He also gets heckled throughout and deals with that extremely well!  You can tell he is trying to iron things out, but it is still nice to hear him again.  I miss him, and this eases that a little.  
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

ycartrob

I'll re-post my re-post here, since it's tagged Mitch Hedberg (plus, it's an amazing story)

I posted this here nearly 3 years ago:

My niece and I were talking about 4 or 5 years ago (she was 15 at the time) and she was telling me she was sad. She said that the only thing that would make her happy was thinking about Mitch Hedberg. I did not know she knew who Mitch was, so we shared our favorite Mitch lines. She said she could be in Algebra class, all bummed out and she'd think about something Mitch would say and she'd smile.

So,

since I'm the best uncle ever, I e-mailed Mitch and told him this story. I included my niece's home address and phone number, just in case he wanted to drop her a line.

then,

about 3 weeks later I got this crazed call from my niece, saying she appreciated me sending her the Mitch CD and faking his signature and all. I told her the story about me writing Mitch and that he must have mailed it to her b/c him and I were the only ones who knew about it and I did not mail it to her. He wrote her a note that said something like "try to be happy" or something. She was floored! As was I.

That summer, I took her to Boston and Maine (my old stomping grounds) and on the way back we saw Mitch at a comedy club in DC(they let her in, even though she was 16). She got her picture taken with Mitch after the show and he said he remembered sending her the CD b/c he did not send people free stuff.

Anyways, I could talk about Mitch for days. Wish he was around to explain why we're having all these hurricanes...  

Love Dogg

I did a search for Mitch Hedberg, but no thread came up.  Sorry if I missed something.

That is a great fucking story.  He was a very real person, it seemed and that is one of the things that draws me to him...aside from the fact that he has some of the best jokes ever.  I, too reference Mitch at least once a day.  If you know his stuff, it's hard not to, because he made jokes about everyday shit.

I never got to see him, and I'll kick myself forever because he was in Nashville March 4th & 5th of 2005 and I was two weeks removed from a bad concert experience in Nashville so I talked myself out of going.  He died three weeks later.  I'll never forgive myself.  :-/

I did, however send flowers to his funeral...actually it was a cactus.  I thought for some reason, that would be appropriate.  It was not from me, Toby, but it was from all of us.  All of his fans.  The card read something like, "Now the whole world sees through rose colored glasses.  -your friends whom you never met."  Or something like that.

Anyway.  Anybody else have any Mitch Hedberg stories or memories to share?  I know I'd love to hear them.  Thanks Tracy.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

aMillionDreams

I, too, pasted up the chance to see him on his last tour.  My sister went and she said he was obviously fucked up.  He was smoking a bowl on stage and drinking and taking frequent breaks, apparently not in a good way. Oh and his wife opened for him and bombed and got heckled.  I'm pretty sure it was not known at the time that she was his wife but then he came out and chided the hecklers.  Not touching like tracy's story but it's a story.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Love Dogg

QuoteI, too, pasted up the chance to see him on his last tour.  My sister went and she said he was obviously fucked up.  He was smoking a bowl on stage and drinking and taking frequent breaks, apparently not in a good way. Oh and his wife opened for him and bombed and got heckled.  I'm pretty sure it was not known at the time that she was his wife but then he came out and chided the hecklers.  Not touching like tracy's story but it's a story.

Gosh, aMD...you are an asshole, geez.   ;)

Love Dogg

Sorry, I saw this in the OTR section:

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1220531403

But we can still talk about how great Mitch was on audio in this thread!   :-/

Killgies

I'm a big fan of Mitch. Many times though he was hit or miss in his Performances. I was lucky enough to see him perform in Nashville 2 wks before he died.

I was on an elevator with my boss today and it malfunctioned on us. The doors would not close and it started beeping. I told my boss that they should put a temporarily a closet sign on it instead of out of order sign. He could not stop laughing.
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

.Walt

I don't know much about Mitch Hedberg, but i do love the song called Mitch Hedberg Boogie by Thee Makeout Party!!!. good tune by this band, but i really like all their songs.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ms. yvon

last summer i bought a couple mitch cds while on a 3 week road trip. soooo funny.  "quadruple tree."
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Love Dogg

QuoteI don't know much about Mitch Hedberg, but i do love the song called Mitch Hedberg Boogie by Thee Makeout Party!!!. good tune by this band, but i really like all their songs.

Never heard of it.  I did an extensive search, but can't find it.  Any way you could get me a listen?  PM me.

.Walt

QuoteI don't know much about Mitch Hedberg, but i do love the song called Mitch Hedberg Boogie by Thee Makeout Party!!!. good tune by this band, but i really like all their songs.

Never heard of it.  I did an extensive search, but can't find it.  Any way you could get me a listen?  PM me.

i was shocked that they don't have it on their myspace page. huh, and their website is temporarily disabled. before you could download the songs straight from their site. the song has nothing to do with mitch hedberg, so i hope i didn't give false hope. once the site is up, i'll let you know.

here's a live clip i found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NlMeRMYExM
Much Greater Than Science Fiction