Mono (for fans of Explosions In The Sky)

Started by dragonboy, Sep 29, 2008, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

After years of having them on my 'to buy' list I finally bought my first Mono CD, Under The Pipal Tree, a couple of months back.

Blown away by their incredible, beautiful noise, I have since bought all of their studio albums & have become completely obsessed with their music.

They do sound a lot like EITS (they also share the same record label & have played together many times) but I personally find Mono's sound to be more diverse.

You can't go wrong with any of their studio albums, still not sure which is my fav yet...

Go here, listen to The Kidnapper Bell & then come back & thank me later! http://www.myspace.com/monojp

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

getinthevan

I've heard the name before but until this moment, have never listened to them.  

I like it.  I'm definitely going to have to listen to them more.  Thanks!

Looks like they're also on the Archive!
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AMono&sort=-publicdate
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

MarkW

Mono played at the EITS-curated ATP I went to at Butlins earlier this year.  Fuck me, they brought the noise (and the quiet) and then THE NOISE.  They were brilliant live.  Like an uber-amplified classical guitar set.  Technical + Loud = Mono.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

dragonboy

You're very welcome GetInTheVan, hope you like them & thanks for the archive heads-up.

I'm very jealous Mark! Yeah I've read that they're very loud. They played with Explosions in Tokyo when I was out of the country last year.

I told myself never mind, they're Japanese so I'll get plenty of chances to see them live. Turns out they've only played Nagoya once in the 8 years that they've been together?!! Just my luck...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

getinthevan

I listened to You Are There last night and I can't wait to give it another listen!  There's definitely similarities between them and EITS but there's even more differences.  

logan5ive

I like and have seen both live but
Mono > EITS
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

getinthevan

QuoteI like and have seen both live but
Mono > EITS
:o  Really?  I've not seen Mono but EITS, especially the second time, which might I add was at Lollapalooza, were phenomenal.  This puts Mono on my list of bands I absolutely have to see.