Talkin' Bout Neil Young.....

Started by searchinbig, Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

OK, so that was basically a religious experience.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 10, 2014, 12:51 AM

I love this. That's why we go to shows. That feeling only comes at certain shows. Sometimes it takes you by surprise when it happens. After reading reviews of the previous show I thought you would get a good one. I'm so glad it was better than that. Tell us more when you can.

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Jan 10, 2014, 02:24 AM

I love this. That's why we go to shows. That feeling only comes at certain shows. Sometimes it takes you by surprise when it happens. After reading reviews of the previous show I thought you would get a good one. I'm so glad it was better than that. Tell us more when you can.

I don't want to say any spoilers in case anyone who might see this is going tonight, but it was over two hours of solo acoustic Neil.  The setlist was a great mix of crowd pleasers and interesting choices to satisfy hardcore fans.  The venue is just perfect for this show and Neil's playing and singing were incredibly strong. 

There is a good article on Rolling Stone's website reviewing the first show.  It gives away tons of setlist detail, so I didn't want to read it until after I saw the show, but now that I've read it it's a very good review. 

I disagree with that review, though, about the 2010/2011 solo tour being ultimately unsatisfying.  I can understand why that show didn't please everyone, but I think the Le Noise material is fantastic, and hearing Neil play solo electric guitar for the first time was a serious revelation.

GO4IT

I'll see you at the church tonight :cheesy:

oistheone

All you folks enjoying these Carnegie shows are making me seriously jealous! These setlists have me salivating for Sunday. I'm really hoping Neil sticks with this 20+ song format for the Canadian shows, but he'll be bringing Diana Krall in tow as opposed to no opener, so I'm preparing myself for a shorter Neil set.

Is there anything better than being in a hardcore Neil Young phase right in the middle of one of the coldest winters in recent memory? Neil and winter jive like few other musicians and seasons.

APR

So glad it was so good!  I'm looking forward to Rob's glowing review when he's back from NY.  That Rolling Stone writer gave the show a beyond stellar review, and from the setlists, it looked like the latter shows were even longer.

oistheone

Good lord, that Massey Hall show tonight was magic! Electric connection between Neil and the audience the entire show. Just a very positive spiritual scene from beginning to end. Neil was all smiles all night! And"Pocahontas", oh man! What an awesome surprise! That easily ranks as the number one Neil show I've ever seen. I had a "direct eye contact" moment with Neil that felt like an electric shock. I'll be buzzin' off that one for a long time. What a night!

Also, Diana Krall kicked ass.

MrWhippy

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 13, 2014, 03:48 AM
Good lord, that Massey Hall show tonight was magic! Electric connection between Neil and the audience the entire show. Just a very positive spiritual scene from beginning to end. Neil was all smiles all night! And"Pocahontas", oh man! What an awesome surprise! That easily ranks as the number one Neil show I've ever seen. I had a "direct eye contact" moment with Neil that felt like an electric shock. I'll be buzzin' off that one for a long time. What a night!

Great!  So glad it worked out for you, and the ticket was legit, etc. 

Pocahontas!  That is amazing!

Jaimoe

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 13, 2014, 03:48 AM

I heard Neil kicked ass last night. Diana Krall sickens me, but I'm glad you enjoyed her gig.

GO4IT

Quote from: APR on Jan 10, 2014, 12:31 PM

So glad it was so good!  I'm looking forward to Rob's glowing review when he's back from NY.  That Rolling Stone writer gave the show a beyond stellar review, and from the setlists, it looked like the latter shows were even longer.

I'll let my video speak for itself.....

Neil Young - Heart of Gold - Carnegie Hall, New York - Jan. 10, 2014

GO4IT

Someone just sent me this link for a recording of the show on Friday:
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1708
If you search on this site you'll find all 4 shows.
They sound a bit dull on the high end but, hey, I'm not complaining.

Mr. White

Quote from: GO4IT on Jan 13, 2014, 08:34 PM
Quote from: APR on Jan 10, 2014, 12:31 PM

I'll let my video speak for itself.....

Neil Young - Heart of Gold - Carnegie Hall, New York - Jan. 10, 2014

Neil Rules!
Thanks for this GO4IT!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

"Where's Jim going?"

wolof7

Thanks so much for posting that video. Amazing stuff right there.

Here is some other news. Don't know why I'm always surprised by him putting an album out he has never slowed down. He released 2 albums last year alone.

http://www.stereogum.com/1639222/new-neil-young-album-a-letter-home-and-pono-music-player-coming-in-march/news/
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

oistheone

I'm really excited about A Letter Home and can't wait to get some more details. The album is heavily rumored to be a Record Store Day release, probably as some sort of gimmick pressing in true TMR fashion. I've heard things as crazy as the entire album being pressed as singles and you have to collect them all. I'm really hoping that the album gets a regular digital release as well, because some of the songs that are speculated to be on the album ("Changes" and "Needle of Death" especially) were among the highlights of Neil's latest setlists. Can't wait!

wolof7

I hope the cover of Phil Ochs 'Changes' is on it. That performance from Carnegie was amazing.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Murph

oistheone

Just spent the last 20 minutes watching the infomercials on that Kickstarter page. As an appreciator of super-high-quality-sound and also a hardcore Neil fan, this device interests me greatly. However, I just don't know if I can justify $400. I'm sure the quality is fantastic, but I have fantastic quality in my home setup already through my records and Blu-Ray and whatnot. And do I really NEED uber-high quality while I'm running around? I guess it would be nice to have a device on which I could play all my FLACs. But I'm worried that this whole thing is a scam by Warner to get suckers to pay $20+ for albums they already have.

I'm torn.