Talkin' Bout Neil Young.....

Started by searchinbig, Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

I've had "Bite the Bullet" stuck in my head for weeks! In "Waging Heavy Peace", Neil claims it is one of his favorites, and I can see why. The Horse has the spook, and Linda Ronstadt and Nicolette Larson sing their asses off! Just a great tune.

Mr. White

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
FINALLY got to see Neil and Crazy Horse in Tuscaloosa last week. After all these years I kept missing him, or too much $$$, but this time the timing was right PLUS with Crazy Horse, so willing to drop the extra $$$. Got about 15 rows back, dead center. Did not disappoint on any level. I purposely did not read reviews so the set list would surprise me and when they laid into Powderfinger song 2, I knew I had chosen correctly (actually knew that 2 chords into the opener Love and Only Love). Totally blown away by Walk Like a Giant especially the 5 minute ending; one of my all time favorite concert moments of all time. I could listen to them do that for hours. The show was simply spectacular with the stage hands as scientists and construction workers to Pancho and Neil cuttin' up. Blew my mind. And, for the first time ever had the vision of Pancho basically being the holder of the kite string and Neil being the kite during those long journeys on Old Black. Loved their energy and how they weren't just going through the motions. I could go on and on...

we rushed the rail during the encore; no sweat as 75% of the crowd was 50 plus!

I'm with you on this, Tracy. I STILL haven't gotten to see Mr. Neil Young yet! My brother and I came close to buying tickets for his solo tour a year or so ago, but the money issue was a big problem for us both. I have enjoyed his music for more than 30 years, and he is my number 1 must see act (with Mr. Tom Waits coming in a close second). I TOO SHALL SEE THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND MYSELF SOME DAY! I'm glad you and so many MMJ Forum members have gotten the chance to see Crazy Horse this tour.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

I got Psychedelic Pill yesterday after work. My commute to work is about 45 minutes, so I got to listen to the first disc on the way home. I made my usual CD copies for use in my car last night (tacked on my 37 minute mp3 audio - converted from the studio practice jam into Cortez the Killer - that Neil posted on his Official site a few months ago as the band finished up the album - onto the end of disc 2). I like the whole album! I really like the way it starts with the more than 27 minute long Driftin' Back. The lyrics are really good. Like in his new book, Waging Heavy Peace, Neil touches on how upset he is with the way music is bought and sold these days. He hates mp3's. The part I like goes, "Don't want my mp3, Don't want my mp3, I'm driftin' back, I'm driftin' back, I'm driftin' back, I'm driftin' back, When you hear my song now, You only get 5%, You used to get it all now, You used to feel it all, Blockin' out my anger, Blockin' out my anger, Blockin' out my anger, Blockin' out my anger, I'm driftin' back..."

rincon

Quote from: Mr. White on Oct 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
I got Psychedelic Pill yesterday after work. My commute to work is about 45 minutes, so I got to listen to the first disc on the way home. I made my usual CD copies for use in my car last night (tacked on my 37 minute mp3 audio - converted from the studio practice jam into Cortez the Killer - that Neil posted on his Official site a few months ago as the band finished up the album - onto the end of disc 2). I like the whole album! I really like the way it starts with the more than 27 minute long Driftin' Back. The lyrics are really good. Like in his new book, Waging Heavy Peace, Neil touches on how upset he is with the way music is bought and sold these days. He hates mp3's. The part I like goes, "Don't want my mp3, Don't want my mp3, I'm driftin' back, I'm driftin' back, I'm driftin' back, I'm driftin' back, When you hear my song now, You only get 5%, You used to get it all now, You used to feel it all, Blockin' out my anger, Blockin' out my anger, Blockin' out my anger, Blockin' out my anger, I'm driftin' back..."

The funny thing is Neil was the first major artist to embrace DDD recordings. He has since been outspoken not only against compressed files, but digital in general.

EasyRyder

FINALLY got to see Neil and Crazy Horse in Tuscaloosa last week. After all these years I kept missing him, or too much $$$, but this time the timing was right PLUS with Crazy Horse, so willing to drop the extra $$$. Got about 15 rows back, dead center. Did not disappoint on any level. I purposely did not read reviews so the set list would surprise me and when they laid into Powderfinger song 2, I knew I had chosen correctly (actually knew that 2 chords into the opener Love and Only Love). Totally blown away by Walk Like a Giant especially the 5 minute ending; one of my all time favorite concert moments of all time. I could listen to them do that for hours. The show was simply spectacular with the stage hands as scientists and construction workers to Pancho and Neil cuttin' up. Blew my mind. And, for the first time ever had the vision of Pancho basically being the holder of the kite string and Neil being the kite during those long journeys on Old Black. Loved their energy and how they weren't just going through the motions. I could go on and on...

Tracy - here's a webcast stream rip that sounds PRISTINE from Voodoo fest. I haven't looked for Tuscaloosa recordings, but both our setlists were similar. SO elated to have seen him too, easy top 5 concert experience. Check it out  :beer:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1253

PS - missin' forum world and forum folk, med skool sux. back to the hole now...thought id pop in  :kiss:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

ralph

Crazy Horse Australian Tour announced for March 2013! FUCK YEAH!!!!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

buaawwww

Neil's best work in years... just incredible.  Please stick with the Horse Uncle Neil!!!

Mr. White

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EasyRyder on Nov 06, 2012, 07:54 PM

Tracy - here's a webcast stream rip that sounds PRISTINE from Voodoo fest. I haven't looked for Tuscaloosa recordings, but both our setlists were similar. SO elated to have seen him too, easy top 5 concert experience. Check it out  :beer:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1253

PS - missin' forum world and forum folk, med skool sux. back to the hole now...thought id pop in  :kiss:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Speaking of Neil, I write a weekly music article for the Canadian Music Hall of Fame called "This Week in Music History". Since it was Neil's birthday earlier in the week, I wrote a big - and I hope - fun Top 5 decade-by-decade tribute in the first section of the article, foregoing a typical biography.  For those interested, check it out. I'm sure some of you will have issues to my decade-by-decade rankings, but I'm admittedly biased:

http://canadianmusichalloffame.ca/this-week-in-music-history-november-12-to-18/

oistheone

No love for After the Goldrush?!

And those shots by Jay Blakesberg are something else. That third one will go down as an iconic later-period Neil shot, I reckon!

Jaimoe

Quote from: oistheone on Nov 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
No love for After the Goldrush?!

And those shots by Jay Blakesberg are something else. That third one will go down as an iconic later-period Neil shot, I reckon!

A favorite of mine. Historical importance weighed heavily.

Mr. White

LeanneP

A little funny Neil related story:  We were driving in the car today (in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) and my husband was playing newer Neil and Crazy Horse. Neil started singing "I was born in Ontario". My 9yo son, pipes up from the back seat, "Yeah, so was I, ya big dork!"  Funniest thing we heard all week  :wink:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Mr. White

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
A little funny Neil related story:  We were driving in the car today (in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) and my husband was playing newer Neil and Crazy Horse. Neil started singing "I was born in Ontario". My 9yo son, pipes up from the back seat, "Yeah, so was I, ya big dork!"  Funniest thing we heard all week  :wink:

Neil Young with Crazy Horse: Born In Ontario (Official Video)

weeniebeenie

Got my Neil/ Crazy Horse tickets for next March last week. I'm so excited!!
How loud can silence get?

LeanneP

Thanks Mr White!

We'll be seeing Neil tomorrow at the Aud in Kitchener (Ontario!) with The Sadies (one of my top 10 fave bands) and Los Lobos. It should be a fantastic show.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

ralph

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Nov 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Got my Neil/ Crazy Horse tickets for next March last week. I'm so excited!!

It's gonna be awesome! Got tix for Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong! Can not wait...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

oistheone

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks Mr White!

We'll be seeing Neil tomorrow at the Aud in Kitchener (Ontario!) with The Sadies (one of my top 10 fave bands) and Los Lobos. It should be a fantastic show.

I'm PUMPED BEYOND BELIEF for the show at the ACC tonight, but I'm strongly considering making this a back-to-back effort and making the drive to Kitchener! I've just got this weeeeeeeird feeling that the Kitchener show is going to blow the Toronto show away.

Really hoping for Cortez or Like A Hurricane tonight. They've only busted each out two or three times this tour, but I'd kill to see either one of those epics.