Talkin' Bout Neil Young.....

Started by searchinbig, Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hey John, can't wait to hear your thoughts.  I'm seeing Neil and the Horse tomorrow in NYC at MSG.
I've got a meeting in 4 minutes, so...

Neil Young and Crazy Horse at TD Garden in Boston last night.  Everest opened for a short, decent set.  Really enjoyed them at T5#5, missed 'em at Forecastle.  Looks like a new drummer.  Patti Smith was cool.  I really was not familiar with her but enjoyed her set.  I may look into her back catalog.  Man, she likes to spit on stage!

Neil and CH were awesome, but tested my endurance.  Long jams were classic, the guys were clearly having fun on stage, and some of the distortion was epic and beautiful.  I hadn't seen NY & CH since 1991.  After tonight, I'm equally torn between following them on tour or waiting another 21 years.  It was really good, but requires patience.  For anyone there who was not a long-time fan, it was probably a rough night.  I don't have a setlist, but the length of songs means a short list.  Cinnamon Girl, Needle and Damage Done, Ramada Inn, Farmer John encore... oops, late for my meeting!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LeanneP

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
Neil and CH were awesome, but tested my endurance... It was really good, but requires patience.

Feeling a tiny bit vindicated by these remarks. I totally know what you mean, John.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Sassbox

Had to skim thread rather quickly, but completely agree with the Ramada Inn thumbs ups!

Will see him for the fourth time this tour on Friday @ the Patriot Center (both Red Rocks' shows and Voodoo, where we got Hurricane'd!).
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
Neil and CH were awesome, but tested my endurance... It was really good, but requires patience.

Feeling a tiny bit vindicated by these remarks. I totally know what you mean, John.

I dunno; Neil Young & Crazy Horse are in a category of musicians
where I'd pay 12 bucks to watch them collectively (or individually, like a tag team) hold their breath(s)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Murph

what time have they been going on?  I'll be at the garden tonight, but am gonna be in a big rush to get there before 8

Jpugdawg

9ish if it's like last night's bill Everlast then Patti then Neil
Enjoy!

Jpugdawg

Oops ! Everlast? Everclear? I mean Everest!

Murph

I may be biased because in my mind Neil Young can do no wrong, but last night at MSG Neil and Crazy Horse proved they are the greatest fucking hard rock group ever.  The jams were long and loud, and full of fuzz and sludge.  I hung on every note.  The Psychedelic Pill songs worked great, Ramada Inn was a real highlight for me, but hearing them play songs like Cinnamon Girl and Mr. Soul, that are nearly twice as old as I am, really put things in perspective.  Man i really fucking enjoyed being able to see that and only wish I was going to more shows this tour.  I will say that I would have loved to have heard Farmer John in the encore instead of Roll Another Number, but what are you gonna do.  Long Live The Horse!!

oistheone

The MSG show sounds awesome! Was "Roll Another Number" the only encore? Any "Cortez" sprinkled in? The setlist STILL hasn't been posted on SugarMountain, which is weird considering most shows have had the setlists updated the night of!

GO4IT

These reviews are getting me psyched for this Friday's show at the Patriot Center  :cheesy:

Murph

MSG 12/27:

Love and Only Love
Powderfinger
Born in Ontario
Walk Like a Giant
The Needle and the Damage Done
Twisted Road
Singer Without a Song
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
Fuckin' Up
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Encore:
Roll Another Number

bartel

this tour is a must see.. and i WILL SADLY MISS IT  :angry:

johnnYYac

Quote from: Murph on Nov 28, 2012, 11:07 PM
MSG 12/27:

Love and Only Love
Powderfinger
Born in Ontario
Walk Like a Giant
The Needle and the Damage Done
Twisted Road
Singer Without a Song
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
Fuckin' Up
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Encore:
Roll Another Number
Exact same setlist as Boston except for the encore.  It was a great night.  Neil said they'd be back in Boston.  Not sure if that was just "insert name of city here" stage talk or what.

oistheone

Neil and the Horse churn out roughly the same set every night, yet make every show completely different. Gotta love it!

johnnYYac

Looks like Neil was the guest on The Daily Show last night.

bartel

guess who just scored tickets to the neil young & crazy horse Atlantic City show? this guy! pumped as I couldn't go to the philly show last night.. worked out great as I go to school at stockton (10 mns away from AC)... pumped! will be awesome.

BIGVICLBI

I will also be hitting the ac show. Never seen him and should be awesome since its pretty small theatre.

MrWhippy

We got a nice little one-song addition to the setlist last night in Fairfax, VA - Cortez the Killer.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

manonthemoon

Honestly the only thing that saved that show last night for me was the Cinnamon Girl through - Cortez as I was severly underwhelmed up until that point.
Everest reminded me of BOH and thats never a good thing, Patti was meh at best, and the crowd was horrible.  We were beside a group of 50 to 60 year olds who talked through the entire Neil set and yelled harvest moon everytime a song was over.

I really liked Walk like a giant until he went into that 20 minute wierd note session that I don't think anyone was feeling.  Plus Fucking up has always been my favorite Neil song, but they turned it into an extended jam that really didn't add anything to the experience IMO. 

Overall it was a solid show, but the real kicker for me is the price tag as I have been to 5 shows this month and the other 4 shows total cost less than this one show and I was at least as entertained as last night with JTB, and blow away by Trail of dead and Red Fang.  Granted the crowds were much better at the latter three shows which helped out. 

Glad to catch Neil as he has always been one of my faves, but can't say I wasn't a little disappointed overall as I was expecting a great show.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Dec 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
I really liked Walk like a giant until he went into that 20 minute wierd note session that I don't think anyone was feeling.  Plus Fucking up has always been my favorite Neil song, but they turned it into an extended jam that really didn't add anything to the experience IMO. 

I definitely agree with these points.  The ending of Walk Like a Giant is more than a tad excessive, and feels drawn out just for the sake of being drawn out, rather than really needing to go on that long.

I also agree with your point about Fuckin' Up.  The drawn out ending/vocal vamp on that really did nothing for me and killed the momentum of that song, which was great up to that point.

Your post also reminded me that I totally forgot about the Trail of Dead show.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.