Talkin' Bout Neil Young.....

Started by searchinbig, Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 01, 2012, 05:52 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Dec 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
I really liked Walk like a giant until he went into that 20 minute wierd note session that I don't think anyone was feeling.  Plus Fucking up has always been my favorite Neil song, but they turned it into an extended jam that really didn't add anything to the experience IMO. 

I definitely agree with these points.  The ending of Walk Like a Giant is more than a tad excessive, and feels drawn out just for the sake of being drawn out, rather than really needing to go on that long.

I also agree with your point about Fuckin' Up.  The drawn out ending/vocal vamp on that really did nothing for me and killed the momentum of that song, which was great up to that point.

Your post also reminded me that I totally forgot about the Trail of Dead show.

I could have gone with another 10 minutes of the ending to Walk Like a Giant; I was ecstatic during that part.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

manonthemoon

I really liked Walk like a giant until he went into that 20 minute wierd note session that I don't think anyone was feeling.  Plus Fucking up has always been my favorite Neil song, but they turned it into an extended jam that really didn't add anything to the experience IMO. 

I definitely agree with these points.  The ending of Walk Like a Giant is more than a tad excessive, and feels drawn out just for the sake of being drawn out, rather than really needing to go on that long.

I also agree with your point about Fuckin' Up.  The drawn out ending/vocal vamp on that really did nothing for me and killed the momentum of that song, which was great up to that point.

TOD was awesome at Rock and Roll.  I swear everytime I hear them live, even with the newer lineup, I am shocked at how good they are live.  Jason and the bassist were in the crowd for Caterwald.  Conrad then got the crowd up on stage for the encore, it was awesome.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 01, 2012, 06:13 PM

I could have gone with another 10 minutes of the ending to Walk Like a Giant; I was ecstatic during that part.

I enjoyed at first, but then it got to long for me and the wife was none to impressed with it at all.  Plus people around us were chanting play a song during the last 10 minutes of it so there was that affecting us as well.
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

I also agree about the extended outros to Walk Like a Giant and Fuckin' Up.  They went on way too long and really didn't add much after a couple of minutes.  We could have had another couple of great songs from the catalog instead.

I was taking a video of Giant and my hand almost fell off - a total of almost 26 min!  My camera spit the bit after 17 min and kicked the last 9 into another file.

I'll try to post the 3 videos I took soon but I've had issues uploading so far for some reason.

Fully

Quote from: GO4IT on Dec 01, 2012, 11:55 PM

I also agree about the extended outros to Walk Like a Giant and Fuckin' Up.  They went on way too long and really didn't add much after a couple of minutes.  We could have had another couple of great songs from the catalog instead.

I was taking a video of Giant and my hand almost fell off - a total of almost 26 min!  My camera spit the bit after 17 min and kicked the last 9 into another file.

I'll try to post the 3 videos I took soon but I've had issues uploading so far for some reason.
I am also in the "outros were too damn long" club for exactly the same reasons the rest of you have stated except for GO4IT's broken hand/camera problem, although I can certainly see how that would be a problem.

LeanneP

Again, I'm feeling vindicated for my review. 

Funny thing is, I really, really love when a band grabs a groove and just keeps pounding it over and over. It gets to a point where the repetition gives you a kind of psychedelic experience. But that wasn't really what was going on with Neil and the Horse. Clearly they are monsters on guitar, but they didn't make it groove well.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Mr. White

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Looks like Neil was the guest on The Daily Show last night.

Here is the interview as aired on TV.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:421600" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-28-2012/exclusive---neil-young-extended-interview-pt--1">The Daily Show with Jon Stewart</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

Here is the extended interview that was on the Internet.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:421601" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-28-2012/exclusive---neil-young-extended-interview-pt--2">The Daily Show</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON THE FIRST HIGHLIGHTED LINK THAT HAS MEDIA.MTVNSERVICES.COM.                  

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

GO4IT

Finally got the three videos up.  These are taken with my new camera in the seats right behind GA in the center but I was about 100yds away since the GA floor was so big.  So, video quality isn't that good since I had to go into digital zoom for much of the time.  Setting to HD quality on YouTube definitely sharpens them up.

On the good side, I was right behind the soundboard so the sound was very good there and I think the camera captured it pretty well.

As reported above, I "only" captured the first 17 min and change of Walk Like a Giant on this file. I have the other 8 and a half minutes if anyone really wants to see it  :tongue:

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIzInH6hk5o&list=UUO50f88t7Rg7C3_Qj3iwHfg&index=3&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C8pJqj1Sc4&list=UUO50f88t7Rg7C3_Qj3iwHfg&index=2&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuzLADVoHPY&list=UUO50f88t7Rg7C3_Qj3iwHfg&index=1&feature=plcp

ralph

you guys are all crazy!!! There is nothing better than Neil & the Horse taking an extended ending / jam / feedback exploration and then taking it to the complete extreme! That is my idea of heaven...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

MrWhippy

Check back after you've sat through it four times in March.   :wink:

I understand what you are saying, though, and on paper it sounds great.  As it plays out, though, I just don't think Neil is very good at extended free-form noise jams.  I love the feedback endings he will do on songs, but this is a different thing entirely. 

I love seeing bands that are good at it do extended noise jams (Spiritualized, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, etc.), but to be good they need to build and have momentum.  The Walk Like a Giant ending has neither in my opinion. 

At the Fairfax, VA show, there were several points where it could have ended, but Neil just keeps it going, but not because there is any momentum to it.  It just feels like he is extending it out that long because he has decided it needs to be that long.

Check out this live Spiritualized video for a noise jam done right that has momentum and purpose to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzkQrEZwA2M#
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ralph on Dec 02, 2012, 06:44 PM
you guys are all crazy!!! There is nothing better than Neil & the Horse taking an extended ending / jam / feedback exploration and then taking it to the complete extreme! That is my idea of heaven...

I hear ya man; different strokes for different folks I guess. They could still be ending Walk in Tuscaloosa and I'd still be there! I am just glad they enjoy ending like that b/c it spoke to me deeply.

Some things can't be tied up into pretty, little concise bows. Plus, the song's about a Giant, ya dig?
Takes time, he's a big dude.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

ralph

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 03, 2012, 07:57 AM

Caught the Hollywood Bowl show and loved the 'footsteps' at the end of WLAG, was one of many highlights of the night.

And it will be 6 times (!) in March Mr Whippy, and I can assure you there will be no sitting!

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 03, 2012, 08:30 AM

Some things can't be tied up into pretty, little concise bows. Plus, the song's about a Giant, ya dig?

:thumbsup: Completely agree...

GO4IT

Quote from: ralph on Dec 03, 2012, 06:31 PM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 03, 2012, 07:57 AM

Caught the Hollywood Bowl show and loved the 'footsteps' at the end of WLAG, was one of many highlights of the night.

And it will be 6 times (!) in March Mr Whippy, and I can assure you there will be no sitting!

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 03, 2012, 08:30 AM

:thumbsup: Completely agree...

OK, here you go.... the last 9 min of Giant that I didn't post the first time since I didn't think anyone was particularly interested.  I've labeled it Part II and the original 17 min Part I.  Enjoy.  I expect to see thousands of hits by dawn  :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mE_C3fa0_o&list=UUO50f88t7Rg7C3_Qj3iwHfg&index=1&feature=plcp

MrWhippy

Interesting I never thought of the end of Walk Like a Giant as footsteps.  Maybe I'm dense, but that makes more sense and is kind of cool.   

Actually, GO4IT, despite what I've said here, I am interested in checking out your video of the end of WLAG.  My group was on the rail for the Fairfax show, so I'm interested to see how it sounded from another perspective.

I watched your other videos, and also shared the links with my friends who had gone to the show.  You did a really nice job on them.

MrWhippy

Tired Eyes

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 22, 2012, 12:07 AM
Ramada Inn went on forever!  Jeepers!  Again with the horrible lyrics. I just hate this latter day stuff.

I know your review was quite lengthy...but this is the part that really jumped out at me.  Ramada Inn has blown me away ever since I first heard it at Red Rocks last August.  It's my favorite new Neil song in years...probably since It's A Dream came out in 2005.  Every Neil fan that I know loves this song...even my friend Paul who dismissed the rest of Psychedelic Pill and skipped the tour.
I don't think folks should love everything Neil does (I sure don't although he is my favorite artist of all time), but I think Ramada Inn is a classic and can't understand why anyone who would buy a ticket to see Neil Young wouldn't like it.

ralph

purchased tix yesterday to Neil & the Horse in a 5000 seater here in Melbourne.  Promoter is calling it 'an intimate' experience. Not sure 5000 counts as intimate but I never thought I'd see em in a smallish venue. Tour starts in 14 days. Can not wait...

oistheone

You are a lucky man! I'm wondering if they'll change up the setlist any from the 2012 tour. I'm thinking there'll be some significant differences. Wouldn't be surprised if Neil drops one or two of the Pill tunes, adds another original, and another oldie! Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if the set goes untouched. Oh, that Neil!

ralph

I reckon it'll be pretty similar. Cornerstones of the set with still be WLAG and Ramada Inn. I'm more than happy with that though.