Top 5 Built To Spill Songs?

Started by sweatboard, Apr 08, 2007, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonahspark

1. I Would Hurt a Fly - "I can't get that sound you make / out of my head / it feels like fingernails across the moon"
2. Broken Chairs
3. Goin Against Your Mind
4. Gone  - With Sam from Quasi
5. Still Flat feat. Caustic Resin

As for where to start?  I recommend "Live" from 1999.  The band has gotten better since it was recorded (Brett #2 adds a whole lot), but nothing else comes close to BTS in concert.

tomEisenbraun

It was actually Tracy burning me a copy of Perfect From Now On that got me started with these guys. Listened to it for about two years until I realized that I absolutely needed to go out and buy another album. So I picked up KILAS and TNWWL and was completely blown away in two completely different directions. Love these guys now.

"Going Against Your Mind" might be one of my faves. Oh hell, this the top 5 thread. Give me a minute...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

okay,

1. Randy Described Eternity
The first song I ever heard by them. Tracy burnt me the cd and told me about this song and I'm sure we listened to it in the car on the way back from Cincinnati, but when I listened to it by myself and finally got it, I was there. The song is huge, I love it, and it's an incredible call to arms, not to mention thick and massive and sprawling. Everything I love about this band comes to a head in this song.

2. Else
Funny thing with blood,
you try to stand but neither leg's awake...
Just this side of love
is where you'll find the confidence not to continue...
Your body breaks, your needs consume you forever
and with this lies the need to be here together...

Perfect.

3. Carry the Zero
Tracy's mentioned it somewhere else before, but the beginning of that song is perfect. These guys have a lot of angst, and this song really carries it appropriately, I think.

4. Velvet Waltz
I love the way this song explodes and disintegrates. Fuck I need to see these guys live. I love how condescending this entire album is, and I'd really like to know who the ubiquitous "you" is here...

Was a grave mistake, but how could you have known
the temperature and the distance of the sun...

5. Goin' Against Your Mind
if only for this lyric right here...

When I was a kid I saw a light
floating high above the trees one night
thought it was an alien
turned out to be just God...

ManNamedTruth

I don't have the first album and the live album, but the rest are all great. You In Reverse is underrated, don't skip on that one.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

moemoephoto

True:  You need to get the Live album.... I think it is great and the cover of "Cortez Killer" is worth the price of the CD alone.

My top 5 currently:

Carry The Zero
You Were Right
Big Dipper
Randy Described Eternity
Broken Chairs

Concert Photography:
www.moemoephoto.com

Salacious D

Awesome Freaking Thread.

1. Else
2. You Are
3. I Would Hurt a Fly
4. Randy Describes Eternity
5. Car
Because if there's one thing that goes well with shooting zombies it's a Dolly Parton cover-el chode

moemoephoto

MMJ should cover BTS.... The vocal ranges are about the same so I think they could pull it off well!
Concert Photography:
www.moemoephoto.com

red

So...I heard "Car" and their version of "Cortez the Killer" for the first time tonight -  :o :o :o

Salacious D

QuoteSo...I heard "Car" and their version of "Cortez the Killer" for the first time tonight -  :o :o :o
You get the car I'll get the night off
We'll get the chance to take the world apart and figure out how it works.
Don't let me know what you find out.
I need a car. You need a guide.
Who needs a map?

. . . I wanna see it when you find out what comets stars and moons are all about.  . .

Doug is a lyrical genius.
Because if there's one thing that goes well with shooting zombies it's a Dolly Parton cover-el chode

tomEisenbraun

QuoteSo...I heard "Car" and their version of "Cortez the Killer" for the first time tonight -  :o :o :o
Who needs a map?

. . . I wanna see it when you find out what comets stars and moons are all about.  . .

huh-- I've always taken that line as

I need a car, you need a guide who needs a map...

Sort of like he'll do his best to navigate, but he's not exactly sure where they're going either...

sweatboard

Who needs a map?

Sort of like he'll do his best to navigate, but he's not exactly sure where they're going either...

Who needs a map!

Thanks Tracy.

I like the line  "If I don't die or worse I'm going to need a nap, at best I'll be asleep when you get back"

It's strange to say I "like" that line.....I guess it just strikes me.
There's Still Time.........

tomEisenbraun

Brian--you wouldn't want to re-host that freedbird, would you...?

Salacious D

Who needs a map?

It's sort of the same thing, despite the line break.

The way I see it, he's saying that they both have needs--he needs a car, she (?) needs someone to lead her away, and neither one of them need a predetermined destination.

easy way

Oh yeah! They KILL that 'Cortez'...
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

DavidCrosby

...I think it is safe to say that "Carry The Zero" is probably number one on the collective top five list....I saw them twice in a week like two weeks ago, it was awesome....I think I liked it better the second time though...
listen to vinyl

moemoephoto

QuoteI saw them twice in a week like two weeks ago, it was awesome....I think I liked it better the second time though...

Me too.... and me too.... where did you see them?
Concert Photography:
www.moemoephoto.com

Dee.

I hope they do a full US tour sometime soon. They're one of my favorite bands to see live.

DavidCrosby

QuoteI saw them twice in a week like two weeks ago, it was awesome....I think I liked it better the second time though...

Me too.... and me too.... where did you see them?

...I saw them at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT and I went to the ATP NY festival where they head lined Friday night and played longer than the previous night in CT and the Broken Chairs they played kicked ass...
listen to vinyl

DavidCrosby

QuoteI hope they do a full US tour sometime soon. They're one of my favorite bands to see live.

...I think you just missed it dude, get on bands mailing lists and you will never miss a tour ever again, this was the Perfect From Now On Tour and they played the album every night...and they sold these really cool posters at the merch bin and they were only five bucks.....awesome....
listen to vinyl

red

"Stop the Show" - WOW WOW WOW