The Felice Brothers

Started by murph468, Oct 27, 2008, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralph

Not familiar with all their material EasyRyder, but I can take a guess that the majority of the new songs would have had the fiddle dude playing his little sample/beat box thingy on them. If that's the case they were pretty OK.  Not too much going on that made them that much different to the rest of the show.

Also, need to recommend Caitlin Rose to everybody.  She was the support act and was bloody fantastic.  Great big voice to go with some really catchy little country songs.  Worth checking out if you haven't already.
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

capt. scotty

After one listen, Im torn but positive. On one hand, all the negativity had me waiting for the worst, so the low expectations I think helped my first thoughts. On the other hand, the production really adds nothing to their music, in fact takes away from it, and at times sounds silly. I dont think their "sound" has changed, this album is just really overproduced for a band who needs no production in the first place. The opening song sounded ridiculous on first listen (and is BTW the most popular song from the album on itunes currently ???), but after hearing the whole album and listening to the opener again, what fails it is the terrible production and 8 year olds yelling in the background. Otherwise, that song is probably the next Penn Station or Run Chicken Run.

I definitely need to give it a couple more listens, but its nowhere near as bad as I expected. I definitely wouldve preferred the F-Bros to stay raw, but I can live with this. "Oliver Stone" sounds like the step-brother B-Side of Marlboro Man, and Ponzi sounds like new-age Leonard Cohen (see below), but besides those 2 I really liked pretty much the rest of the album. "Back In The Dancehalls" was the one track I thought the production actually worked, and thats the 1 F-Bro whose songs/singing I think repeateadly suck, so maybe it isnt all bad  ;D

Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 10, 2011, 07:38 PM
After one listen, Im torn but positive. On one hand, all the negativity had me waiting for the worst, so the low expectations I think helped my first thoughts. On the other hand, the production really adds nothing to their music, in fact takes away from it, and at times sounds silly. I dont think their "sound" has changed, this album is just really overproduced for a band who needs no production in the first place. The opening song sounded ridiculous on first listen (and is BTW the most popular song from the album on itunes currently ???), but after hearing the whole album and listening to the opener again, what fails it is the terrible production and 8 year olds yelling in the background. Otherwise, that song is probably the next Penn Station or Run Chicken Run.

I definitely need to give it a couple more listens, but its nowhere near as bad as I expected. I definitely wouldve preferred the F-Bros to stay raw, but I can live with this. "Oliver Stone" sounds like the step-brother B-Side of Marlboro Man, and Ponzi sounds like new-age Leonard Cohen (see below), but besides those 2 I really liked pretty much the rest of the album. "Back In The Dancehalls" was the one track I thought the production actually worked, and thats the 1 F-Bro whose songs/singing I think repeateadly suck, so maybe it isnt all bad  ;D

Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows

i like them raw, too, but for some reason when i heard the new songs live, they really worked for me..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Scotty I agree with most of what you had to say. I gave it a few more listens cos I'm not ready to give up on the album yet. Most of the songs you identified as not caring for are the tracks I don't care for either. The rest doesn't take away too much and some of the songs could fit on their previous 2 albums.

The production is strange.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

chaqueta sucia

I love The Felice Brothers.  Yonder is the Clock is one of my favorite albums of my entire collection.  I at first was real discouraged by the new one Celebration, Florida.  It was such a style change from all else they had done.  That was more me expecting them to make another Yonder.  That is not going to happen nor does it with almost all artists.  Their style changing is bound to happen throughout their albums.  I have now warmed up to this album after many listens.  It is still Ian Felice's voice and story telling so the fact they use techno sounds?  It is not really that big of a deal in the end and it is actually kind of a trip to listen to..........for me anyway.

ralph

So I'm kind of obsessed with the new record. Having seen some of these songs live (before hearing the album) has helped with the 'new direction' they've taken. For those struggling with this album don't write it off until you've seen it in a live setting, I think you'll really appreciate what they're doing...

And I'll add to the Ponzi appreciation - that song is fucking genius...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Sidus

Just listened to "Celebration, Florida" for the first time. Never heard anything from these guys before (except "Whiskey in my Whiskey" :coffee:), but they're coming to my hometown (in December, so I'll have to wait 6 months...) so I gave it a try. After the first listen I think I like it. There are some weird moments I'm not sure about, but I appreciate the mix of styles. "Dallas" really sounds like Bob Dylan. But I'll have to give it much more listens. Which album should I listen next? Just work backwards from here?

I also read (on wikipedia  ::)) that one of the Felice Brothers left the band some years ago and started "The Duke and The King". As it happens they'll also play in my hometown this year. I've heard one song (Shaky) which sounded a lot like Ben Harper imo. Are these guys also worth checking out? I believe it's a free show, so I'll probably go anyway.

And btw, that album cover of Celebration, Florida is really one of the ugliest I've ever seen  ;D. Especially if you don't know this band, it's really just W-T-F :P. Maybe it's made to scare new people off  ;D

ALady

Quote from: Sidus on May 30, 2011, 02:15 PM
I also read (on wikipedia  ::)) that one of the Felice Brothers left the band some years ago and started "The Duke and The King". As it happens they'll also play in my hometown this year. I've heard one song (Shaky) which sounded a lot like Ben Harper imo. Are these guys also worth checking out? I believe it's a free show, so I'll probably go anyway.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  Especially if you liked the old Felice Brothers sound.

Simone is a sweetheart.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

Quote from: Sidus on May 30, 2011, 02:15 PM
Just listened to "Celebration, Florida" for the first time. Never heard anything from these guys before (except "Whiskey in my Whiskey" :coffee:), but they're coming to my hometown (in December, so I'll have to wait 6 months...) so I gave it a try. After the first listen I think I like it. There are some weird moments I'm not sure about, but I appreciate the mix of styles. "Dallas" really sounds like Bob Dylan. But I'll have to give it much more listens. Which album should I listen next? Just work backwards from here?

Yeah, Id just work backwards. I think Yonder Is The Clock sounds more similar to Celebration FLA than most people realize because of the 2-3 songs on CFLA that sound surprising at first. Then go for S/T, probably my favorite overall album, but there's a few songs on YITC that might be my favorite F-Bros songs period - Boy From Lawrence County for sure, and possibly Cooperstown and Katie Dear. Tonight At The Arizona probably isnt as strong overall as the 2 that followed, but still great. T For Texas is my jam and their version is actually my favorite
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

So I saw the Felice Brothers for the 1st time at Ottobar last night and I really enjoyed it a lot.  I'd heard such good things about their live shows but I was never able to catch them until yesterday.  The only two albums I was familiar with were S/T and Yonder is the Clock and I had not heard any of the songs off of Celebration, Florida until last night.  I thought all the new songs were fantastic!

Honda Civic immediately reminded me of Cody Chestnutt's Seed and Ponzi was a real good time as well.  Back in the Dancehalls was a killer burner.  I also love how the merch guy would also come out to play the trumpet.  Cus's Catskill Gym was badass live and was a story I was well versed in.  Fire at the Pageant is sick.

I bought the vinyl after the show and have listened to it twice this morning to familiarize myself with what I heard last night.  I really enjoyed Yonder is the Clock and S/T but I actually enjoy the direction they've gone in.  It's not that over the top to the point of being a "fuck you" to convention.  I could do w/o Oliver Stone as well.  I know its cheesy to say but when it's your first time seeing them, I wish I heard them play Penn Station.  Unfortunately I had to leave a bit early for circumstances beyond my control.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Glad you enjoyed it Rob...Based on the only time I saw them, I put them right with Dr. Dog on the grounds that they wont blow you away live but put on a hell of a fun show.

Contrary to popular belief, I really dont think the new album is all that different from YITClock. Fire at the Pageant, Ponzi, and Back In the Dancehalls, at least studio-wise, definitely struck me as surprises, but thats it. And really on all 3, its more the production than the actual song thats so different from the last album. The rest of the album feels like it could have been on the last album if not earlier. Half of the songs are pretty much indistinguishable from early Ian stuff - Dallas, Best I Ever Had, Refrain, Container Ship, Oliver Stone. And the others sound like classic Felice storyteller songs (Cus Catskill Gym, River Jordan), in the vein of Boy From Lawrence County, Cooperstown, Greatest Show On Eath, Ruby Mae, Helen Fry - which is when I think theyre at their best.

Surprised to hear the Honda Civic and Seed comparisons. Never crossed my mind. Did you first hear the CC original or the Roots version? Unrelated to that kind of, but I just realized Cody Chestnutt released an EP late last year and is supposed to have a new album this year possibly. Glad to hear that. I still find his eclectic debut hit or miss, but its an interesting album with a handful of great songs. Wouldnt surprise me if different songs grab different people on that album, because its strange how some songs strike me as laughable but the next I could think it great, but overall really like the album. Absolutely love this song.

Cody ChesnuTT - My Women, My Guitars

Ruckus

I agree with you that they are a fun band and I was surprised at how few people were there last night.  There were a shit ton of loud talkers in the back but oh well, good times.

Yeah I know the seed is an odd comparison and I did mean the Cody Chessnutt one.  It's just  the autotuned falsetto in Honda Civic and the straight forward dance beat that reminded me of the Seed for some reason.  It's the 1st song that came to my head.

I went to see Chessnutt during the Headphone Masterpiece tour and chatted with him for a bit after the show.  I for one was not a fan of a large majority of Headphone Masterpiece.  Though his intentions were pure, he was so preachy about "real" music and how to live life during the show that it was all kind of tough to swallow.  Really nice guy though and very talented.  Probably the last show I attended in the States in which the crowd was majority minorities. ;)

Ruckus

I hope some people have warmed up to this album a bit.  Is this their Z or EU?  I've read some criticism of the children's chorus on Fire but I love it!  Think it works perfectly.  Ponzi is one of my favorite tracks of the year and Dancehalls continues to age well.  The only complaint I may have is that the tracks sound boomy and bass heavy.  I know that's what they were going for but a little more high end would have helped for me.

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 05, 2011, 09:22 AM
I hope some people have warmed up to this album a bit.  Is this their Z or EU?  I've read some criticism of the children's chorus on Fire but I love it!  Think it works perfectly.  Ponzi is one of my favorite tracks of the year and Dancehalls continues to age well.  The only complaint I may have is that the tracks sound boomy and bass heavy.  I know that's what they were going for but a little more high end would have helped for me.

I've listened a couple times (listening right now).  I love the first track. Some of them kind of lose me, but some I like a lot.

wolof7

Quote from: Jon T. on Aug 05, 2011, 09:33 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 05, 2011, 09:22 AM

I've listened a couple times (listening right now).  I love the first track. Some of them kind of lose me, but some I like a lot.

That's how I feel. At first I was unimpressed given my love for their last 2 but there is some good stuff on this album....some of it does not work at all imho but can't blame em for tryin...I've found that if I listen to it in the mindset I have with a Tom Waits album rather than a Dylan album, I understand it better(if that makes any sense)....the cover is something i'll never get over tho.

wolof7

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold99

New album comes off really great live.  I didn't like it at first..but once I saw it live I loved it.  They are like a alternative folk band or something...some songs they literally have a drummer and a drum machine going at the same time....mixing in Neil Young samples.  It is def a show to see.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

capt. scotty

Here's some upcoming tour dates....At least somebody still comes to the Burgh!!

09/09/11
Shepherdstown, WV
Opera House

09/10/11
Daleville, VA

09/21/11
Pittsburgh, PA
Mr. Smalls Theatre

09/22/11
Chicago, IL
The Vic Theater
w/ Okkervil River

09/23/11
Cleveland, OH
Grog Shop

09/24/11
Cincinnati, OH
MidPoint Music Festival

09/25/11
Columbus, OH
The Rumba Café

09/27/11
Philadelphia, PA
Union Transfer

09/28/11
Washington, DC
Black Cat

09/29/11
New York, NY
Webster Hall
w/ Nicole Atkins & The Black Sea

09/30/11
San Francisco, CA
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass

10/04/11
Harrisburg, PA
The Abbey Bar at the Appalachian Brewing Company

10/05/11
Morgantown, WV
123 Pleasant St

10/06/11
Winston-Salem, NC
Ziggy's

10/07/11
Charleston, SC
The Pour House

10/08/11
Augusta, GA
Sky City

10/11/11
Nashville, TN
The Basement
w/ Gill Landry (of Old Crow Medicine Show)

10/12/11
Knoxville, TN
Square Room

10/13/11
Louisville, KY
Zanzabar

10/14/11
Bloomington, IL
Castle Theatre

10/15/11
St. Louis, MO
Biliken Club at SLU

10/17/11
Denver, CO
HI-Dive

10/18/11
Salt Lake City, UT
The State Room

10/20/11
Seattle, WA
The Crocodile / City Arts Festival

10/21/11
Vancouver, BC

10/22/11
Bellingham, WA
Wild Buffalo

10/24/11
Bend, OR
Silver Moon Brewing

10/25/11
Portland, OR
Doug Fir Lounge

10/28/11
Los Angeles, CA

10/29/11
Costa Mesa, CA
Detroit Bar

10/30/11
San Diego, CA
Casbah

11/01/11
Phoenix, AZ
Rhythm Room

11/03/11
Lubbock, TX
The Blue Light

11/04/11
Denton, TX
Dan's Silverleaf

11/07/11
Houston, TX
Fitzgeralds

11/08/11
Baton Rouge, LA
Manship Theatre

11/10/11
New Orleans, LA
Tipitina's
Supporting Dr. Dog

11/11/11
Mobile, AL
Alabama Music Box

11/12/11
Orlando, FL
Orlando Calling

11/14/11
Atlanta, GA
The Earl

11/17/11
Northampton, MA
Pearl Street

11/18/11
Boston, MA
Royale
Co-headline w/ Deer Tick

11/19/11
South Burlington, VT
Higher Ground

capt. scotty

Here's also a little nugget of sweetness...

QuoteBeginning today, we'll post a free MP3 of a new song each Wednesday for the next five weeks. When combined, the five tracks will comprise the Poughkeepsie Princess EP, with all songs recently recorded at home in Catskills, NY.

The first song, "Among The Missing," is now available as a free download here: www.thefelicebrothers.com/poughkeepsieprincess