Led Zeppelin and My Morning Jacket

Started by ycartrob, Aug 29, 2006, 12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

I have been listening to Led Zeppelin forever and I find it interesting how they have influenced other bands, not only in their instrumentaion and vocal stylings, but in their eclectic choices of musical stylings (I have said it before, if you want to know about Guns n Roses, don't bother buying their 3 or 4 studio albums, simply listen to Zeppelin's In My Time Of Dying off Physical Graffiti, and there you have Guns N Roses, in their entirety).

So, I was listening to Led Zeppelin III (Celebration Day is one of the best rock songs ever) tonight, washing the dishes, and it occured to me that Led Zeppelin III is most like My Morning Jacket. There's hard pounding, soft acoustics, hard blues, weirdness, rock, pensivness, ALL OF IT!

I propose that Led Zeppelin III is more like My Morning Jacket and My Morning Jacket is more like Led Zeppelin III than any other Led Zeppelin album!

Anyone?

Dee.

You may be onto something.  Something BIG.  I will listen to the album later and reflect.

tomEisenbraun

hmmm...

i want Achilles Last Stand to be on their list of influences. there's strains of it through It Beats 4 U, i think. actually, I feel like Bonham is an extremely important figure in Patrick's drumming. something in that beat choice, or something.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

whothrewthecake

god i frickin love celebration day. i scream to it in my car. i definitely hear what you are saying. if i made a movie of my life, celebration day would be playing during the scene where we all pile into a car for the road trip and are taking lame pictures and pouring beer on each other and shit.

ycartrob

Quotehmmm...

i want Achilles Last Stand to be on their list of influences. there's strains of it through It Beats 4 U, i think. actually, I feel like Bonham is an extremely important figure in Patrick's drumming. something in that beat choice, or something.

but as an entire Led Zeppelin album, Presence is not a My Morning Jacket, all encompasing album (ie, no acoustic songs), like Zep III.

If you want to say which Zeppelin song is most like MMJ, then go for it, but perhaps you should start your own thread you snot nosed little punk and stick to the freaking subject!

tomEisenbraun

I'm 18.

okay, why is Celebration Day so overlooked? Are we, as MMJ fans, more inclined toward absolutely loving this song? Or do people just not know?

This needs to be fixed.

Also, frickin Out On The Tiles.

Coltrane

.....and "live" Celebration Day.....even fucking better.

how about some love for the guitar work in "For Your Life"

and, YES, Out on the Tiles....YES!!!

....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

BH

Tea for One is a new favorite of mine.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

biscuitbobo

i always thought of tea for one as being the follow up to since i been loving you.......god...achilles last stand might be the best rock song ever.

www.myspace.com/thehellsayers
[url="//www.myspace.com/thehellsayers"]www.myspace.com/thehellsayers[/url]

Meddle

In terms of guitar work, It's hard to even come of with an influence for Jim in my opinion, because he along with the rest of the boys created a new genre. My Morning Jacket.
...And Some Are Angels...

aMD

I was listening to WFPK one morning and the host Dan Reed (now program director for all national public radio who pimped the jacket WAY back in the day) said Jim told him after a show that he dreamed of being played back to back with Led Zeppelin on the radio.  Dan played Over the Hills and Far Away followed by The Way That He Sings if I remember right.  I don't know if Jim was listening but I heard it.

MMJ_fanatic

I could see MMJ covering just about anyhthing off Zep III (my fav Zep by the by)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

ali

its all very true - just having a flick through my zep collection... and i can see the boys having a great time with ANY led zep song

i'm a bit torn between III & IV - immigrant song is just great, but IV has when the levee breaks.... which just reverberates in my soul when cranked up loud!

maybe one day mmj could slot in a little cover or two?
(here's hoping)
 :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ycartrob

tomEisenbraun

Not to be a snot-nosed little prick and change the subject again, Tracy, but the entire time I was reading this thread, I had "Thank You" running through my head along with the chorus from "What Is And What Should Never Be". Not only would I like to see a mashup of these two songs, but I think that the boys might be the perfect ones to try it. Hell, if they don't, I might need to get together a band and do so myself.

The DARK

Seems more and more like none of the Zeppelin albums can contain MMJ.
In another time, in another place, in another face

purvis9876

QuoteSeems more and more like none of the Zeppelin albums can contain MMJ.

Anything, for that matter. IMO.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteSeems more and more like none of the Zeppelin albums can contain MMJ.

Anything, for that matter. IMO.

The entire annals of rock history!!!!