Main Menu

Dead Confederate

Started by admin, Dec 20, 2007, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

QuoteThe Conan episode is up:http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O%27Brien/video/episodes/#vid=745581

"We had to shorten "The Rat" from 5 + minutes down to less than 4, which was challenging. Reworking a song the day of a show (when you've played it pretty much the same way for 2 years) was a bit unnerving. I think we got through it okay though."
taken from  here

http://deadconfederate.typepad.com/

Ha Ha, watch out for the monitors, I think most people just stand still for their Conan performance, I was laughing with you not at you.

P.S.

I need to find that Vinyl stat.  I just assumed there would only be CD's this go around.  It was nice to see I was wrong.
There's Still Time.........

Hawkeye

Listening to "The Rat" on vinyl right now!  Picked it up at the MMJ aftershow in Milwaukee and talked to the singer for a bit.  Unfortunately I only caught 2 songs at the aftershow and my friends weren't digging them.  Not surprising though after just seeing an MMJ show...tough act to follow!
We could.

bold99

The more I listen to the new album the more I need to see this band live...wow these guys are good.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

bold99

btw they just added a ton of dates....

Upcoming Shows        ( view all )
Oct 16 2008       9:00P
     Exit/In...w/Heartless Bastards       Nashville, Tennessee
Oct 17 2008       10:00P
     Proud Larry's...w/Heartless Bastards       Oxford, Mississippi
Oct 25 2008       12:00P
     Voodoo Experience       New Orleans, Louisiana
Nov 8 2008       8:00P
     Fun Fun Fun Festival After Party @ the Mohawk...w/ White Denim       Austin, Texas
Nov 11 2008       9:45P
     Plush       Tucson, Arizona
Nov 12 2008       9:30P
     The Casbah       San Diego, California
Nov 13 2008       10:00P
     Beauty Bar Las Vegas       Las Vegas, Nevada
Nov 14 2008       10:00P
     Spaceland       Los Angeles, California
Nov 15 2008       10:00P
     The Cellar Door       Visalia, California
Nov 16 2008       10:00P
     The Independent       San Fransisco, California
Nov 18 2008       9:00P
     Doug Fir Lounge       Portland, Oregon
Nov 19 2008       10:00P
     Chop Suey       Seattle, Washington
Nov 20 2008       9:30P
     Neurolux       Boise, Idaho
Nov 21 2008       10:30P
     Sidecar       Park City, Utah
Nov 22 2008       9:00P
     Larimer Lounge       Denver, Colorado
Nov 28 2008       8:00P
     Cat's Cradle       Carborro, North Carolina
Nov 30 2008       8:00P
     Southgate House       Newport, Kentucky
Dec 2 2008       8:00P
     The House of Bricks       Des Moines, Iowa
Dec 3 2008       8:00P
     Suberranean Lounge       Chicago, Illinois
Dec 4 2008       8:00P
     Mac's       Lansing, Michigan
Dec 5 2008       8:00P
     Musica       Akron, Ohio
Dec 6 2008       8:00P
     Diesel       Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Dec 7 2008       8:00P
     North Star       Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Dec 9 2008       8:00P
     Harper's Ferry       Allston, Massachusetts
Dec 10 2008       8:00P
     Maxwell's       Hoboken, New Jersey
Dec 11 2008       8:00P
     Ottobar       Baltimore, Maryland
Dec 12 2008       8:00P
     Canal Club       Richmond, Virginia
Dec 13 2008       8:00P
     The SoapBox       Wilmington, North Carolina
Dec 14 2008       8:00P
     Headliners       Columbia, South Carolina
Dec 16 2008       8:00P
     40 Watt       Athens, Georgia
Dec 17 2008       8:00P
     The Social       Orlando, Florida
Dec 18 2008       8:00P
     Orpheum       Ybor City, Florida
Dec 19 2008       8:00P
     Jack Rabbits       Jacksonville, Florida
Dec 20 2008       8:00P
     Variety Playhouse       Atlanta, Georgia
Dec 23 2008       8:00P
     Sky City       Augusta, Georgia

Penny Lane

not crazy about this album--is it just me?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

Quotenot crazy about this album--is it just me?

It's just you.  ;)

Seriously, you don't like Goner or Is It A Rose??
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bold99

It's just you.  ;)

Seriously, you don't like Goner or Is It A Rose??

I have to agree, it is you...lol.  This album is amazing.

tenn

I can't stop listening it, one of my favorite releases of the year so far. You should try it again perhaps with incense and low-lighting and maybe a beanbag chair :)  

Something about them reminds me of the first four Sabbath albums, I thought I might be crazy for thinking that until I read where the guy's initially "bonded" partly because they're are all Sabbath fans.

bold99

I can't stop listening it, one of my favorite releases of the year so far. You should try it again perhaps with incense and low-lighting and maybe a beanbag chair :)  

Something about them reminds me of the first four Sabbath albums, I thought I might be crazy for thinking that until I read where the guy's initially "bonded" partly because they're are all Sabbath fans.

Wow this makes me like them even more.  I do hear a similar heavy vibe to their music.  The first song on the album is awesome.  I really like this guy's voice.

Penny Lane

Wow this makes me like them even more.  I do hear a similar heavy vibe to their music.  The first song on the album is awesome.  I really like this guy's voice.

they sound more and more like early verve to me. but not as good of course....

bold99

they sound more and more like early verve to me. but not as good of course....[/quote

NO NO NO....no Verve comparisons.  These guys are not Britpop, they are from Athens, Ga and they ROCK!  I like this from the jambase article.

If you go to the band's MySpace page they list their influences solely as "On The Beach, Meddle, Bleach." These influence sections are generally a bunch of crap. How do you sum up a band with a few words? Well, you don't, but by listing these three seminal albums Dead Confederate does a nice job opening a window into their world. The bile-spitting brilliance of Neil Young's roots-rocker On The Beach, the expansive, haunting psychedelia of Pink Floyd's Meddle, and the scary similarity between Morris' pain-seared screams and Cobain's on Bleach all work together to form a nice composite of what they're going for. But this, of course, is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Inside their crushing iron wall of noise are hints of Radiohead, Sonic Youth, My Morning Jacket, Kings of Leon, Dinosaur Jr., Dead Meadow and more.

Penny Lane

you probably haven't even heard early verve---"the News Underneath" sounds like early verve--go listen to "A Northern Soul" The verve were not really considered britpop until Urban Hymns..classic britpop at that time was oasis/blur/stone roses, etc--also many of those brit pop bands weren't just influenced by the kinks and the beatles, they were influenced by dinosaur jr. and sonic youth-- the verve were never your typical brit pop band, they were compared to pink floyd when they came out-not total shoe gaze and not brit pop/as for a northern soul, it's incredible--the guy from the boo radleys loved 'a northern soul' so much, he got it tattooed on him.

when i first heard dead confederate, reviewers were calling them the american verve--then they got compared to MMJ in rolling stone and-----it's kind of ridiculous to say they sound like parts of radiohead, MMJ, NY, sonic youth---etc....i mean you've just named off every major genre out there. i don't even hear how KOL sound like MMJ at all.

dead confederate is one of those bands where you can hear whatever your influences are--maybe that's what makes this album weak for me...it's like a character foil in a book--doesn't really stand on its own but it just reminds of something else---

that said, i love 'the rat'

bold99

Quoteyou probably haven't even heard early verve---"the News Underneath" sounds like early verve--go listen to "A Northern Soul" The verve were not really considered britpop until Urban Hymns..classic britpop at that time was oasis/blur/stone roses, etc--also many of those brit pop bands weren't just influenced by the kinks and the beatles, they were influenced by dinosaur jr. and sonic youth-- the verve were never your typical brit pop band, they were compared to pink floyd when they came out-not total shoe gaze and not brit pop/as for a northern soul, it's incredible--the guy from the boo radleys loved 'a northern soul' so much, he got it tattooed on him.

when i first heard dead confederate, reviewers were calling them the american verve--then they got compared to MMJ in rolling stone and-----it's kind of ridiculous to say they sound like parts of radiohead, MMJ, NY, sonic youth---etc....i mean you've just named off every major genre out there. i don't even hear how KOL sound like MMJ at all.

dead confederate is one of those bands where you can hear whatever your influences are--maybe that's what makes this album weak for me...it's like a character foil in a book--doesn't really stand on its own but it just reminds of something else---

that said, i love 'the rat'

you just love talking about the Verve....lol.

I think Dead Confederate can be compared to other bands but bands today always get compared.  I think they completely stand up on their own.  I think they write great songs and its really not the guys fault if his voice sounds like other people.  It is just good Southern Rock to me.

and I also had to add...NOBODY should be compared to Neil Young's On The Beach.

Penny Lane

FTR, i don't hear it in the voice--it's in the guitar

okay, guilty--no more hijacking threads to talk about the verve lol

tenn

read it here http://www.sneakattackmedia.com/campaign.php?id=95

"Dead Confederate — singer/guitarist Hardy Morris, bassist Brantley Senn, guitarist Walker Howle, keyboardist John Watkins, and drummer Jason Scarboro — first bonded over Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath ("stoner shit," as Morris puts it) when they attended high school together in Augusta, Georgia. After keeping a band loosely together throughout college, the five-piece got serious when they were faced with the prospect of finding careers outside of music. After the small-town crew moved to Atlanta, "We were all kind of huddled together in this little house in the big city," Morris recalls, "Things took a turn and Brantley and I started writing serious personal stuff. We weren't just playing anymore, we were really writing and searching." Dead Confederate was born."

there's also a  "yer circus" home demo by Brantley

bold99

read it here http://www.sneakattackmedia.com/campaign.php?id=95

"Dead Confederate — singer/guitarist Hardy Morris, bassist Brantley Senn, guitarist Walker Howle, keyboardist John Watkins, and drummer Jason Scarboro — first bonded over Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath ("stoner shit," as Morris puts it) when they attended high school together in Augusta, Georgia. After keeping a band loosely together throughout college, the five-piece got serious when they were faced with the prospect of finding careers outside of music. After the small-town crew moved to Atlanta, "We were all kind of huddled together in this little house in the big city," Morris recalls, "Things took a turn and Brantley and I started writing serious personal stuff. We weren't just playing anymore, we were really writing and searching." Dead Confederate was born."

there's also a  "yer circus" home demo by Brantley

Wow this is cool, thanks for the post!

TheBigChicken

I can't wait to see these guys in Tampa in December. Are they from Athens or Atlanta ?
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

tomEisenbraun

Augusta, actually. But they spread the word like they're from Athens. Some folks I know aren't too happy about that, but hey, they've probably played the most in Athens while coming up...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

easy way

QuoteI can't wait to see these guys in Tampa in December. Are they from Athens or Atlanta ?

Nice RC...I'll be hitting that Ybor show up with ya.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

bold99

They are playing near me on my birthday.  I'm def hitting this show.  I guess they are opening up for Mancester Orchestra? Anyone know these guys?