Kings of Leon in detroit

Started by SmokinShootin, Nov 09, 2008, 01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinShootin

I went to the show and it sucked, the best thing about the show was the Whigs.  I've been a KOL fan longer then a MMJ fan and believe me when I say, they are mainstream now.  Its all about the money.  I guess when you compare it to the show MMJ had in detroit and this, you can't help but be disapointed.  I left in the middle of last nights show.

ms. yvon

smokin, when i saw the title, "kings of leon in detroit"  i thought this might be you.
that you left in the middle of it,  the show must have been really disappointing.  lame.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

bold99

After loving the first two albums I've had the same feeling.  I saw them and thought they were not good at all and I don't like the last two albums.

The Whigs are great!  I love their last album and I saw them twice open for DBT and they were great.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Murph

thats very dissapointing to hear....ecspecially since i just bought tickets to see them in MSG.  :-/

SmokinShootin

They definetly don't love there fans like my morning jacket does.  I have to make room for Wilco, so Kings of Leon has to be out, haha.  They're first album was good and more and more they sell out.

dragonboy

I still haven't bought the new album. Love the first 3...what do people think of Only by the Night now they had it a few months?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

weeniebeenie

The first three albums are amazing. The new one just doesn't seem to have enough variety on it. The songs are good but most of them sound very similar. I saw the new video for Use Somebody the other day and I couldn't stop laughing. It just looked like they were trying too hard.
How loud can silence get?

red

Here's Kings of Leon on The Hour: http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videos.html?id=922448193

Hopefully you non-Canadian folk can watch it.  

bold99

I hate to say it but they kind of have sold out.  I really don't know what that means other than on the last album and probably the one before they sounded like a band who went on tour with U2 and decided that is what they wanted to sound like.  I loved their first two albums because they sounded like where they came from, Nashville.  I remember hearing an interview with them while making their 3rd album saying how they wanted to go home and make and album like MMJ's At Dawn and they did the complete opposite.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

getinthevan

Had I not already been going to a show, I would've been there.  Now I'm kind of glad I wasn't.  Sorry to hear it was such a let down.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

LEATHER KID

QuoteI still haven't bought the new album. Love the first 3...what do people think of Only by the Night now they had it a few months?
I think it's good.  Aha Shake is my favorite but they can't make it over again and again.  Caleb's always been a bit of a diva but I think that's where he gets his strut.  Making a record that's embraced by the mainstream doesn't make you a sellout but making a video like Sex on Fire sorta does, that' my only beef with em lately.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

ycartrob

when I saw then on SNL earlier, they looked a little too "fixed up"; looked like they had spent a lot of time focusing on their look. I didn't like the songs too much either. Change...

Before

After (gawd, I think hair-dos for men are silly)

vespachick

Quotewhen I saw then on SNL earlier, they looked a little too "fixed up"; looked like they had spent a lot of time focusing on their look. I didn't like the songs too much either. Change...

Silly, I know, but this image was on a recent cover of Paste and is the sole reason I DID NOT go out and buy the new LP.  I liked the couple of tunes I'd heard a lot more before I saw all the product in the hair.  Blech.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

kydiddle

The fixed up look blows.

They look like the Jonas Brothers.
Cow temperature.

SmokinShootin

yeah well the story is that before they were a band they didn't listen to music.  So they didn't know what good music was, the first album they listened to chuck berry and dylan (i.e. good music).  Now they listen to U2 and Joy division.  Apparently they forgot about chuck berry, bob dylan, johnny cash and the greats.  

You got to think the first look is silly to because they changed it so many times.    You got to be your self and they are having trouble finding out what that is.  If I ever grew a beard and wore my hair long (which I have) its because thats me.  I always want to be the guy with the long hair and the beard, its just hard to get a job that way haha.

BH

All I would say is, don't let their look, the size of their crowds or their newfound popularity have an effect on your opinion of the new album.  You either like the music, or you don't.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

What BH said. Listen to the lyrics, they're the same old KOL, just less grittier sounding.

Oh, and maybe they just had a bad night in Detroit as they were great in St Louis.

Ghosts_on_TV

I just got back from the 2nd philly show and they were fucking great.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

LEATHER KID

IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Ghostess on TV

Wow... I saw them yesterday in Philly for the first time and I thought they were absolutely amazing. Definitely 2nd best concert I've ever been to...MMJ being the 1st of course.