Main Menu

Black Keys....

Started by bold99, Oct 16, 2008, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteThe Black Keys' vocalist/guitarist Dan Auerbach will release his debut solo album early next year.

Keep It Hid is due for release in the US on February 10. Auerbach will then embark ona short 11-date tour beginning on February 28 in Washington D.C.

Speaking to Billboard, he revealed: "It's all over the map...there's some real dark tunes and some psychedelic rumbas. It's all that stuff I grew up playing - all those bluegrass harmonies. I experimented a little bit with instrumentation."

It's kind of funny to have a solo album when your original band consists of two people and the other guy plays the drums.

It's more like, hey, I'm going to make another album and keep 100% of the profit instead of 50%. ;D

I know, not really, but it's just kind of funny.  I think.  Sounds great though.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ItStillJaimoe

QuoteThe Black Keys' vocalist/guitarist Dan Auerbach will release his debut solo album early next year.

Keep It Hid is due for release in the US on February 10. Auerbach will then embark ona short 11-date tour beginning on February 28 in Washington D.C.

Speaking to Billboard, he revealed: "It's all over the map...there's some real dark tunes and some psychedelic rumbas. It's all that stuff I grew up playing - all those bluegrass harmonies. I experimented a little bit with instrumentation."

It's kind of funny to have a solo album when your original band consists of two people and the other guy plays the drums.

It's more like, hey, I'm going to make another album and keep 100% of the profit instead of 50%. ;D

I know, not really, but it's just kind of funny.  I think.  Sounds great though.

I think you only need two to make up a band dynamic, so I'm interested in this album for sure. Jack White certainly goes in different directions when Meg isn't around, although I like The White Stripes better than The Raconteurs and the duet with Alicia Keys.

bold99

The fact is its a solo album.  He's got a whole new backing band.  A band who he produced so obviously its a competely different thing.  I think stuff like this is great and needed especially when you are in a band with only two people.  I like the Stripes way more than the Racs also but I think both are great and Jack seems to be loving playing in a full band but it makes going back to the Stripes refreshing probably.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ItStillJaimoe

I like the primal go-for-broke aspect of The White Stripes more than the throwback rock of The Raconteurs, but both are great bands.

weeniebeenie

QuoteI got Things Ain't Like They Used To Be in a compilation and I always say that I've gotta invest in some of their albums but I always forget to.

Do it..you will not be disappointed.
What do you recommend?
How loud can silence get?

dragonboy

ThickFreakness & the new one (Attack and Release) are their best IMO.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I still haven't got The Big Come Up.   :-[

bold99

QuoteI got Things Ain't Like They Used To Be in a compilation and I always say that I've gotta invest in some of their albums but I always forget to.

Do it..you will not be disappointed.
What do you recommend?

I'd start with their debut the Big Come Up...and work your way up...Magic Potion (the one before the new one) wasn't that strong in my opinion but everything is.  Attack and Release the new one is great but a lot different, I'd get that one last.

ItStillJaimoe

And you still gotta get Chulahoma, their honest barebones tribute to hero Junior Kimbrough.

red

QuoteAnd you still gotta get Chulahoma, their honest barebones tribute to hero Junior Kimbrough.
Sage advice.  "Meet Me in the City" is perfect.

ItStillJaimoe

QuoteAnd you still gotta get Chulahoma, their honest barebones tribute to hero Junior Kimbrough.
Sage advice.  "Meet Me in the City" is perfect.

Ever heard Junior Kimbrough? The Keys basically ape his sound (and I'm not complaining or being critical), but aping it very very well.

Kimbrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm06GowX3gU

red

QuoteEver heard Junior Kimbrough? The Keys basically ape his sound (and I'm not complaining or being critical), but aping it very very well.

I have - a friend gave me You Better Run: The Essential Junior Kimbrough as a Christmas gift a couple years ago based solely on the album's cover.  Little did they know (at the time) how great it was.  Been meaning to expand on that for some time, any suggestions?

ItStillJaimoe

QuoteEver heard Junior Kimbrough? The Keys basically ape his sound (and I'm not complaining or being critical), but aping it very very well.

I have - a friend gave me You Better Run: The Essential Junior Kimbrough as a Christmas gift a couple years ago based solely on the album's cover.  Little did they know (at the time) how great it was.  Been meaning to expand on that for some time, any suggestions?

I bet the Keys burned this album out. I love it:

"Work Me Baby" – 4:44
"Do the Romp" – 3:57
"Stay All Night" – 4:44
"Meet Me in the City" – 6:50
"You Better Run" – 7:33
"Done Got Old" – 2:36
"All Night Long" – 5:50
"I Feel Alright" – 4:02
"Nobody but You" – 5:54
"Slow Lightnin'" – 3:22

ycartrob

Ever heard Junior Kimbrough? The Keys basically ape his sound (and I'm not complaining or being critical), but aping it very very well.

that's a great video. I actually went to Juniors Juke Joint in Chulahoma when I was living in Oxford. In the middle of freaking nowhere. I think it burned down after he died.

ItStillJaimoe

that's a great video. I actually went to Juniors Juke Joint in Chulahoma when I was living in Oxford. In the middle of freaking nowhere. I think it burned down after he died.

I find that very appropriate.

.Walt

hmm...if i had to rank the black keys albums....

rubber factory
magic potion
thickfreakness
attack & release
the big come up

don't get me wrong, a couple could change any minute now. to me there isn't a big difference between 1 and 5. all of them are awesome. i love chulahoma

outrageous cherry does a good version of Have Mercy on Me.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

bold99

for fans of this type of music...RL Burnside, Junior K.. you should also check out a great band called Hillstomp

www.hillstomp.com

walterfredo

I want to get my nephew a Black Keys CD for xmas.  He likes heavy/loud rock, which Black Keys album would you consider to be the loudest...rockinest?

bold99

QuoteI want to get my nephew a Black Keys CD for xmas.  He likes heavy/loud rock, which Black Keys album would you consider to be the loudest...rockinest?

I'd say Thickfreakness or Rubber Factory.

walterfredo

QuoteI want to get my nephew a Black Keys CD for xmas.  He likes heavy/loud rock, which Black Keys album would you consider to be the loudest...rockinest?

I'd say Thickfreakness or Rubber Factory.

thanks