Main Menu

Poster care

Started by Jamie44, Feb 02, 2009, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie44

Hi all

Just wanted to give you a heads up about always vetting the people who frame your posters.  I got a RCMH for my Christmas and got it framed by my old framers.  I took it in to get it reframed by my new framer, so the frame would match the frame of the NYE poster that I got for my Birthday.  Well my old framers had dry mounted the RCMH poster onto card and had caused the poster to crinkle and the adhesive to damage the top of the poster.  The poster cost alot of money as I bought it from a gallery who sell Guy Burwell Artwork and the guy is now refusing to offer me any compensation for the damage he caused.

I'm absolutely gutted.  

There is a lesson to be learned here people I just wish that it hadn't ruined my favourite poster.

Regards.

Jamie.

searchinbig

That sucks. I've learned a little over the years about framing.

Use acid free matting, hinge the print and DO NOT mount it on board because this will decrease the value as it's original state has now been altered, and always use uv glass. Yeah this costs a hell of a lot more but it's worth it.

Btw, I'm not an expert, just sharing a bit of knowledge.

Sorry bout your poster.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

Jamie44

Just to update you guys.  I have contacted the institution that the framer is a member of and told them what happened.  I haven't mentioned the name of the framer as yet and am awaiting their reponse.  The framer doesn't seem to think that he has done anything wrong and said to me that as you can't see the damage done to the top of the poster, as it is hidden by the boarder, then I have no need to complain.  However the damage to the main body of the poster would appear to have occured due to the dry mounting process, as my new framer and myself discovered on further inspection.  The old framer said to me that there is no way that we could determine that the value of the poster has been affected by the piss poor work he carried out on it.  I have used the argument brought up in the first response to the institution that when you alter a piece of art then the only thing that can happen is a decrease in value.  

Thanks for the kind words so far and I'll give you guys a further update when it become available.