Loudon Wainwright III

Started by dragonboy, Mar 27, 2007, 11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

QuoteThanks very much Chills, I'll take the time to watch all of those.

It's a little tedious to watch all of these on youtube quality.
But the essence is certainly in that last part. Very touching.

Mr. T.

I've just spent my saturday morning watching this documentary!

Great stuff! Thanks Chills!
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

dragonboy

Thanks so much for the tracks Chills, I love them! What albums are they from?

Here's 2 tracks by Loudon from the Knocked Up soundtrack:
http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

Thank you so much DB!!!

I actually just ordered the soundtrack today.  "Daughter" nearly brought me to tears when it was played during the film.  

dragonboy

QuoteThank you so much DB!!!

I actually just ordered the soundtrack today.  "Daughter" nearly brought me to tears when it was played during the film.  
I read that in the movie thread, thought you might like these  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

QuoteThanks so much for the tracks Chills, I love them! What albums are they from?

They were all from the "So Damn Happy" live album. Those were my favourite cuts from that particular record. The lyrics to 'The Home Stretch' are so honest, incredibly bitter and sad yet not without that comical edge. As such, his best work manages to capture both the lighter and darker side of life. Not a small feat.

It sometimes makes it hard to accept the inferior, depressing and melodramatic stuff of a lot (of today's) singer-songwriters. I'm not gonna start naming names here, it's a long list!

I agree it's also a beautiful version of 'Dreaming', that one gets me everytime.

While I'm at it, I'm gonna restate my recommendation of the 'Career Moves' album, you do need to hear that one, if only for 'Happy Birthday Elvis'  :)

Very enthusiastic review for "Strange Weirdos: Music from and Inspired by the Film Knocked Up" on allmusic. Can't wait to hear it!

"Who would have thought that at this stage in his career, Wainwright (with help from a very empathetic co-producer in Henry whose contribution is not to be underestimated) would come up with a recording like this: a treasure chest of truly great songs that communicate so effortlessly. As an album, its seamless, uncluttered, and virtually flawless."  

Chills

Have I told you all that Loudon is a genius?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P4hw1kos8

What a song.

red

QuoteI actually just ordered the soundtrack today.  "Daughter" nearly brought me to tears when it was played during the film.  
Still waiting for this to arrive, I can't wait to get into this man.  The handful of songs I've heard I love.

Chills

QuoteI actually just ordered the soundtrack today.  "Daughter" nearly brought me to tears when it was played during the film.  
The handful of songs I've heard I love.

Here's another one then  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FlWsGgzfww

Chills

I'm taking back the smiley in my previous post. It should be this one  :'(

dragonboy

Bought Album III & Unrequited last month. Haven't played Unrequited yet but Album III is excellent!
Can't wait to get to his later stuff  :)

red

Well, Strange Weirdos might just be my favourite album of 2007 so far.  It's just incredible.  "Passion Play" is an absolute masterpiece.

Now it's time for me to back-track.

dragonboy

Take a look at Mr. T's list Red.
I just ordered History & More Love Songs. Loudon is definitely my artist of the year so far, I'm so pleased I finally discovered his music.

red

Oh man, I got lots of catching up to do, but I sure don't object!  

Yeah, Strange Weirdos is my favourite album of the year, this weekend has been a very musically memorable one for me.  

dragonboy

Got More Love Songs & History in the post yesterday.
Pleased to see that Richard Thompson plays on & produces the former, can't wait to give that a spin.

My list so far in order:

Album III
Attempted Mustache
Unrequited (don't rate this one as highly as the other 2)

Chills

Gotta go with Career Moves next DB.

Or else we just can't be friends anymore  :-[

;)

dragonboy

They didn't have that one @ hmv.co.jp
I will order next time I go back to amazon  :)

dragonboy

I played More Love Songs 3 times in a row last night & am playing it again now. The opener Hard Day On The Planet throw a bit of a curve ball at me & I didn't think I was going to like it but there are some amazing songs on here!

I wanted to thank Mr. T for his recommendations, do you know where hi is Chills? I sent him an email last, haven't heard back from him. Hope he's doing OK!

Chills

QuoteI played More Love Songs 3 times in a row last night & am playing it again now. The opener Hard Day On The Planet throw a bit of a curve ball at me & I didn't think I was going to like it but there are some amazing songs on here!

I wanted to thank Mr. T for his recommendations, do you know where hi is Chills? I sent him an email last, haven't heard back from him. Hope he's doing OK!

Yeah he's doing ok. A little bit out of the fascinating message board world it seems, but that needn't be a bad sign  :)

Guess he'll answer your mail later?

dragonboy

Thanks Chills, just so long as he's OK  :)

I simply can't get enough of this album & am this close, this close to declaring it a masterpiece!