Loudon Wainwright III

Started by dragonboy, Mar 27, 2007, 11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

No question Loudon's the best 'discovery' I've had this year.  I have not stopped listening to Last Man on Earth since I bought it last weekend - The title track and "Homeless" are masterworks.   Just ordered More Love Songs and it'll soon join Album II , I'm Alright and Strange Weirdos near the top of my shelf.  

Normally I'm not much of a fan of such 'personal' music, but Loudon's had me in awe (and near tears) many times in just a handful of months.  Looking forward to many years of loving this man.

Chills, Career Moves will be next.  After History...    ;) :)

ManNamedTruth

love that song from knocked up but thats all i'm familiar with. might have to look into this.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Chills

Chills, Career Moves will be next.  After History...    ;) :)

Yeah, gotta have Career Moves.
I think I never laughed as hard as the first time I saw Loudon live. There's some pretty funny banter on Career Moves as well, especially the intro to They Spelled My Name Wrong Again  ;D

aMD

I definitely need to pick up some more loudon!  I've heard stuff off his newest on WFPK.

Also, the DVD of Undeclared has a solo performance by him that was very good.

Undeclared, btw, is a great show that got canceled too early like most of Fox's good shows.

red

Just added Career Moves and History to my last Amazon order of 2007.  

dragonboy

QuoteJust added Career Moves and History to my last Amazon order of 2007.  
Add More Love Songs to your list K, it's definitely my fav so far  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteJust added Career Moves and History to my last Amazon order of 2007.  
Add More Love Songs to your list K, it's definitely my fav so far  :)
Already got it on order from my (somewhat) local independent record shop!

Chills

Quote!!!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003677508

Cool!

Hey K, are you familiar with Joe Henry's solo work?

Definitely worth a listen.

red

QuoteHey K, are you familiar with Joe Henry's solo work?

I'm not, and I was actually going to ask you how they were.  I've noticed that his two latest were released on the wonderful Anti- label, so that definitely piqued my interest, not to mention that he produced two of the best albums this year (Strange Weirdos and Mary Gauthier's Between Daylight and Dark).  

Any recommendations on a starting point (after I divulge in a few more of Loudon's albums)?

Chills

QuoteHey K, are you familiar with Joe Henry's solo work?

I'm not, and I was actually going to ask you how they were.  I've noticed that his two latest were released on the wonderful Anti- label, so that definitely piqued my interest, not to mention that he produced two of the best albums this year (Strange Weirdos and Mary Gauthier's Between Daylight and Dark).  

Any recommendations on a starting point (after I divulge in a few more of Loudon's albums)?

The albums I've heard are all pretty equal in quality (=good to very good).
But I'm really into "Shuffletown", that one has some really beautiful tracks (Drowning In The River Half Laughing springs to mind).

Also, his latest release "Civilians" is one of the best of the year.

Happy listening  :)  

red

More Love Songs is beyond incredible.  I go from laughing out aloud through "Synchronicity" to near-tears during "Your Mother and I".  

dragonboy

Yeah I think More Love Songs is my fav. Still haven't played Career Moves yet...need to give that a spin.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteYeah I think More Love Songs is my fav. Still haven't played Career Moves yet...need to give that a spin.
Ooh, you're in for a treat.  "On the Road" is such a killer opening.  It's a good drink(s) in hand album.  I may have given myself an idea for this coming weekend...  ;D

Foxtrot76

I love the swimming song. I don't know what album it's on but a friend of mine put on a compilation cd. the banjo is so perfect on it and the lyrics are great:

This summer I went swimming,
This summer I might have drowned
But I held my breath and I kicked my feet
And I moved my arms around, I moved my arms around.

This summer I swam in the ocean,
And I swam in a swimming pool,
Salt my wounds, chlorine my eyes,
I'm a self-destructive fool, a self-destructive fool.

This summer I swam in a public place
And a reservoir, to boot,
At the latter I was informal,
At the former I wore my suit, I wore my swimming suit.

This summer I did the backstroke
And you know that's not all
I did the breast stroke and the butterfly
And the old Australian crawl, the old Australian crawl.

This summer I did swan dives
And jackknifes for you all
And once when you weren't looking
I did a cannonball, I did a cannonball.

red

Out August 19:

1. "Black Uncle Remus"
2. "Saw Your Name In The Paper"
3. "School Days"
4. "The Drinking Song"
5. "Motel Blues"
6. "Muse Blues"
7. "New Paint"
8. "Be Careful There's A Baby In The House"
9. "Needless To Say"
10. "Movie Are A Mother To Me"
11. "Say That You Love Me"
12. "Old Friend"
13. "Man Who Couldn't Cry"

More info here: http://www.rosebudus.com/wainwright/Recovery.html

red

QuoteOut August 19:

1. "Black Uncle Remus"
2. "Saw Your Name In The Paper"
3. "School Days"
4. "The Drinking Song"
5. "Motel Blues"
6. "Muse Blues"
7. "New Paint"
8. "Be Careful There's A Baby In The House"
9. "Needless To Say"
10. "Movie Are A Mother To Me"
11. "Say That You Love Me"
12. "Old Friend"
13. "Man Who Couldn't Cry"

More info here: http://www.rosebudus.com/wainwright/Recovery.html
It's highly suspicious enjoyable.  I can't recommend it enough.

Penny Lane

i didn't know there was a loudon thread!! 'daughter' is one of my favorite songs of all time
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

red

Quote'daughter' is one of my favorite songs of all time
That was the song that hooked me on Loudon, I think it's kinda funny that he didn't write it.  

Listened (intently) to History for the first time last night and it blew me away.  Absolute masterpiece.

My signed copy of Recovery is probably the best purchase I've made this year.  I'm not a big autograph fan, but damn I love looking at it on my shelf.  

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2P4hw1kos8[/media]

ms. yvon

i came to loudon's music in a round about way:  two of the times i saw the roches he performed a song or two with them.  i'm also a joe henry fan, so when i saw they were collaborating i got to hear him then.

boy, he is wonderful to hear and see.  such a hoot, too! glad this thread got a bump.  i'm going to review that "must have" list on the first page
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."