Inaugural Concert...Stevie/Bruuuuuuuuce...

Started by NoVa_NoLa, Jan 12, 2009, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoVa_NoLa

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/inauguration-watch/2009/01/its_official_bruce_springsteen.html?wprss=rss_blog

It's Official: Bruce Springsteen to Headline Obama's Sunday Concert

As The Post's Lena H. Sun first reported last week, Bruce Springsteen will be among the headliners at Obama's welcome concert on the National Mall on Sunday. The event will be from 7 p.m to 9 p.m near the Lincoln Memorial and it will feature performances by Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Bono, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, Herbie Hancock, Heather Headley, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, John Mellencamp, Usher, Shakira, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, will.i.am and Stevie Wonder.

(Clarification: The event starting time has not been announced. It appears likely to be in the afternoon. Update: The event will begin at 2 p.m.)

The concert, which will be televised live by HBO at from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., is free and open to the public. The title of the event is "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial."

According to the Presidential Inaugural Committee Web site Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III, Queen Latifah and Denzel Washington will be among those reading historical passages. The Rev. V. Gene Robinson will give the invocation.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteIs will.i.am going to be appearing via hologram?

Not sure, but if I could appear via hologram I would.  :)  I'll probably head down there and stay as long as I can feel my extremities.

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Sassbox

I'm wondering how early I need to get there to be assured a reasonably close spot.  AND WHY IS IT PREDICTED TO BE SO (@&(*&$*(#*$$ COLD THAT DAY?!?
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

ALady

Jeff Tweedy said he'd be in town for the inauguration.  I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up at the Hideout's Big Shoulders Ball.  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

NoVa_NoLa

Heard today that the latest banned items are umbrellas...even if it's raining.   :'(   Cold and wet, well that prospect certainly makes just being cold seem a lot better.  :)

Sassbox

Nova, where are you seeing the banned items list?  I am the queen of packing for every contingency...need to make sure I'm not bringing a bunch of crap that I won't be able to get in.

NoVa_NoLa

I worked from home today and heard the latest list on the noon news broadcast.  I'm not sure if the same rules for the swearing in will apply to the concert and/or parade.  :-?

NoVa_NoLa

OK, here's the list of prohibited items for the swearing in and parade:

Prohibited Items

Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:

* Firearms and ammunition (either real or simulated)
   * Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
   * Knives, blades, or sharp objects (of any length)
   * Mace and/or pepper spray
   * Sticks or poles
   * Pocket or hand tools, such as "Leatherman"
   * Packages
   * Backpacks
   * Large bags
   * Duffel bags
   * Suitcases
   * Thermoses
   * Coolers
   * Strollers
   * Umbrellas
   * Laser pointers
   * Signs
   * Posters
   * Animals (other than service animals)
   * Alcoholic beverages
   * Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners

Mobility Aids such as canes, including those with a fold-down seat, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters are allowed.

NoVa_NoLa

Found a little more info specifically for the concert:

Public gates open at 8:00 a.m. EST at the following locations:

* Public Entry A: Constitution Avenue at 19th Street
   * Public Entry B: Constitution Avenue at Virginia Avenue
   * Public Entry C: 17th Street at North Elm Walk
   * Public Entry D: 17th Street at South Elm Walk
   * Public Entry E: Independence Avenue at the DC War Memorial

The Reflecting Pool area, JFK Hockey Fields and Constitution Gardens are open to the public and space will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Restricted items for the Lincoln Memorial grounds for the Inaugural Opening Ceremonies include firearms, ammunition, explosives, weapons of any kind, aerosols, supports for signs, packages, coolers, thermal or glass containers, backpacks, bags and signs exceeding the size restrictions of 6"X4"X8", laser pointers, animals other than helper/guide dogs, structures, bicycles, and any other items determined to be a potential safety hazard.

xmascriminal

I do not like any of these bands. In fact, I hate most of them. I used to like Springsteen, but that was a long time ago. I think I just moved on to other things. But I thought Obama was cooler than a guy who books Bono, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crowe and John Mellencamp. How about some Pearl Jam? You can't get more pro-Obama than them.

NoVa_NoLa

Sass...did you get the email about the ball that Grace Potter is playing?  Also, just heard tonight that the Dead are supposed to show up, but I can't confirm that.  For $100 and open bar, I might go.  :)

Also heard that Warren Haynes will be playing at a hotel this weekend too, but don't have the full scoop on that yet either...would prefer this to the Grace Potter event.

Just got the 9:30 Clubs Ball email too...And I'm still waiting to hear if I can get tix to the Ball that Mofro is playing...

This is getting nuts!!!    :D

Sassbox

I have to go to another ball... :'(

On a positive note, I'll be watching the parade from a building (translation: no shiver-me-timbers) next to the Hay Adams.

I'm kind of on the fence about Sunday at this point.

I'd love to make the Hideout gig at Black Cat (with Ted Leo, etc.), but I'm just not sure how much energy I'm going to have next week.  Pass the weak sauce, please.

TGMC421

ABC is airing the Neighborhood Ball tonight and Mariah will be singing "Hero" to Obama.  I think it's absolutely fitting and I'm wishing them both the best of luck tonight!

Saaang it, girl!

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteI have to go to another ball... :'(

On a positive note, I'll be watching the parade from a building (translation: no shiver-me-timbers) next to the Hay Adams.

I'm kind of on the fence about Sunday at this point.

I'd love to make the Hideout gig at Black Cat (with Ted Leo, etc.), but I'm just not sure how much energy I'm going to have next week.  Pass the weak sauce, please.

What an insane weekend!   :o

We made it to the concert pretty easily.  Saturday night turned out to be a bigger night than I anticipated (Holmes Bros. at Iota), so we got a late start Sunday.  Made it to the Mall right as Bruce was hitting the big screen.  We were about a football field in front of the Wash. Mem. toward the Korean War Mem.  Crowd was kind of dull in my area, but overall a very good time!

Red Goes Blue Ball was pretty good too.  Phil Lesh showed up to play with Jackie Green.  And Warren Haynes showed up to play with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.  :)  Because we could stay out until 4, we did.  Thankfully, Monday was a day off.

Tuesday was, well...wondermous!  Super freezing cold, but so worth it.  I made it out for the swearing in, but after getting lunch (and thawing out) found that the parade route was "sold out".  Headed back to VA at that point to watch the rest of the day on TV.

Hope that you had fun!!

Sassbox

I did...had an absolute blast.  I ended up missing the concert due to a combination margarita/red wine hangover (I R DUMB). Skipped the swearing in (too damned cold) and watched the parade from a building just in front of the White House back portico.  Made it to the Home States Ball about fifteen minutes before President & Mrs. Obama got there, and the rest is history!  :)