New Orleans JazzFest

Started by ALady, Dec 16, 2008, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

Looks pretty good this year.  

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

Weekend 1:

Wynton Marsalis, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Joe Cocker, Earth Wind & Fire, Wilco, Spoon, Erykah Badu, Irma Thomas, Orishas, Third World, Robert Cray, Etta James & the Roots Band, Mavis Staples, Drive-By Truckers feat. Booker T. Jones, Johnny Winter, Pete Seeger, Hugh Masekela, Better Than Ezra, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Galactic, Roy Haynes, Pete Fountain, Avett Brothers, Kinky, Roy Rogers, Del McCoury Band, Terence Blanchard, Marc Broussard, DJ Jubilee with 5th Ward Weebie and Ms. Tee, Buckwheat Zydeco's 30th Anniversary feat. The Hitchhikers, Tab Benoit, Locos por Juana, Trombone Shorty, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Yacub Addy and Odadaa of Ghana, Rebirth Brass Band Reunion with Kermit Ruffins, Ivan Neville & Dumpstaphunk, Big Sam's Funky Nation, Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience, Amanda Shaw & the Cute Guys, Donald Harrison, The Anointed Jackson Sisters, Tribute to Mahalia Jackson featuring Irma Thomas, Mavis Staples, and Pamela Landrum...

Weekend 2:

Aretha Franklin, TBA, Sugarland, Ben Harper and Relentless7, Tony Bennett, Kings of Leon, The Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Common, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Buddy Guy, Los Lobos, The O'Jays, Toots & the Maytals, Allen Toussaint, John Mayall, Solomon Burke, Doc Watson, Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, The Whispers, Jakob Dylan, Chuck Brown, Meter Men: Zig, George, and Leo, Kurt Elling, Rance Allen, Cowboy Mouth, Guy Clark, Radiators Aaron Neville, Lil' Ed & the Blues Imperials, Tab Benoit & the Wetland Allstars, Marcia Ball, Ellis Marsalis, Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band, Jon Cleary & the Absolute Monster Gentlemen, Frankie Ford, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, Mississippi Mass Choir, Walter "Wolfman" Washington & the Roadmasters, Anders Osborne, the subdudes, Esperanza Spalding, Patty Griffin, Deacon John, Chris Thomas King, Kind of Blue @ 50 Tribute to Miles Davis feat. Jimmy Cobb, Wallace Roney, Larry Willis, and Buster Williams...
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Grateful Chabo

"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

capt. scotty

Ben Harper and Relentless7

Wow...was not aware he is playing with a new backing band right now and coming out with a new album with them instead of the IC's

I hated his last album, Lifeline, but these new cuts I just listened to on youtube are sounding pret-tay good (sound quality aside), especially the songs with the lap slide

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXrx9Lx1SE[/media]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

Wow...was not aware he is playing with a new backing band right now and coming out with a new album with them instead of the IC's

I hated his last album, Lifeline, but these new cuts I just listened to on youtube are sounding pret-tay good (sound quality aside), especially the songs with the lap slide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXrx9Lx1SE
Wow that's a great song!

I saw him live many years ago when the there were still only 3 ICs (drums, percussion & bass I think) one of the best shows I've ever been to.
Saw him live a couple of years ago with a much bigger band & they sucked by comparison.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXrx9Lx1SE
Wow that's a great song!

I saw him live many years ago when the there were still only 3 ICs (drums, percussion & bass I think) one of the best shows I've ever been to.
Saw him live a couple of years ago with a much bigger band & they sucked by comparison.

I only saw him once before they added another guitarist and keyboards..Ive seen them 7 times I think now, 2-3 werent all that good, but a couple of them were great.

I def liked it more with just 4 members. Not only was Ben playing the lapslide more on his 1st 4 albums, but the smaller band allowed him to show his guitar skills, more solos, etc. In general, I liked that sound more too.

After hearing about 8-9 songs from live stuff on youtube though, im very interested in getting this come May. Hah, and after that last album, I told myself Im not buying another 1 of his albums  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

xmascriminal

I saw Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals in 06. Really good show. I was disappointed not to get With My Own Two Hands or Faded though, not to say it wasn't a great setlist. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of his music, but I am a fan.

Jaimoe

I bailed on Ben years ago. If he goes back to a small band, then I may welcome him back. I bailed on Galactic too around 5 years ago. I wanted to like them, but they really do suck, even live.

Is it just me or is this New Orleans Jazz Fest a little light on jazz?

capt. scotty

QuoteI bailed on Ben years ago. If he goes back to a small band, then I may welcome him back. I bailed on Galactic too around 5 years ago. I wanted to like them, but they really do suck, even live.

Check out my clip

The new band is 4 people including BH...And the music is sounding better than almost everything since Will To Live from the stuff I heard today on youtube

...and how does Galactic suck live?!

Jon T.

QuoteI bailed on Ben years ago. If he goes back to a small band, then I may welcome him back. I bailed on Galactic too around 5 years ago. I wanted to like them, but they really do suck, even live.

Check out my clip

The new band is 4 people including BH

Ummm, because he is THE authority on pretty much everything.  Duh.

Jaimoe

Check out my clip

The new band is 4 people including BH...And the music is sounding better than almost everything since Will To Live from the stuff I heard today on youtube

I'm glad to see and hear he's gone back to his old ways. I think Ben was one of the great guitar innovators of the 90's and an unbelievably exciting live performer. And then he started tinkering with his band and sound.  

As for Galactic, I've seen them three times and was bored every time. I really admire Stanton Moore and Ben Ellman is a great sax player, but Jeff Raines isn't up to the other guys standards and brings the jams down. I want to like Galactic too. I'm glad Houseman is gone though.

"Authority"? Fuck that, but I can't not stop having strong opinions, especially about music and I gave both Ben and Galactic fair shakes (live too). I'm glad Ben is back.

And whatever happened to Robert Randolph? He could have been big.

ALady

Yeah, I think there's a few songs on his myspace too...pret-tay, pret-tay, prettay good.

Ha!  I had to edit the post for length - there's a TON of smaller jazz acts playing.  Figured most people would just be interested in the headliners.

ManNamedTruth

Dude, Galactic is amazing live. You're smoking crack.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

I guess they must have been off-nights those three times when I saw them stone sober? The crowds were good sized too. The energy wasn't there on and off the stage.   

ManNamedTruth

I guess they must have been off-nights those three times when I saw them stone sober? The crowds were good sized too. The energy wasn't there on and off the stage.   

I saw them twice and the band and crowd had good energy.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Sassbox

Jazz acts are always the smaller acts at JF, but there are plenty (and plenty of excellent local music as well).  The lineup is stellar and I will be there both weekends!  

There's an interesting story behind BH and Reckless 7.  I think Ben was getting a ride in Austin at one point and the driver was pestering him to listen to a tape, so he gave in.  I believe the tape was all of or part of Reckless 7.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

ALady

No kidding?  I knew the new band was Austin-based, but had no idea that's how it came about.  Cool story!

NoVa_NoLa

Ben & Relentless 7 just played the Mercury Lounge in NYC and then the Christmas Jam in Asheville....wish that I could have seen either.

Anyhoo, Jazz Fest. This year will make my 12th year straight.  If you have not been, go.  The day time is one event (11a - 7p).  The night time club shows are all together something else.  Most days begin for me around 10 am and end around 7 am.  Sleep a little then go back to the Fairgrounds for some really good music and some UNBELIEVABLY GREAT food!!!

Jazz at Jazz Fest?  For the 7 days of fest, there is a tent that showcases nothing but jazz music from 11 am- 7 pm.  There are 13 "venues" at the Fest, each with a different focus.  The full name of the event is the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  So, basically it includes any style of music remotely related to the region.  

Hi-lite last year was Stevie Wonder in the on and off rain...and the big rainbow in sky.   :)

Sassbox

QuoteNo kidding?  I knew the new band was Austin-based, but had no idea that's how it came about.  Cool story!

Yep (at least, that's what I've read).  It may have been after an LZR show, but don't quote me.

20th JF for me.  I keep looking at the lineup and not believing what an awesome, awesome job they did this year!

Natchitoches Meat Pies, here I come!

NoVa_NoLa

Yep (at least, that's what I've read).  It may have been after an LZR show, but don't quote me.

20th JF for me.  I keep looking at the lineup and not believing what an awesome, awesome job they did this year!

20 years!!  Well, no doubt we have probably seen/heard some music together.   :)  Do you use the Jazz Fest message/chat board?  

I am still hopeful that MMJ will play Tip's with the Dirty Dozen horns during Fest... :D ;D :)

Or maybe, they'll come down and co-headline with the Mule one night...

Sassbox

20 years!!  Well, no doubt we have probably seen/heard some music together.   :)  Do you use the Jazz Fest message/chat board?  

I am still hopeful that MMJ will play Tip's with the Dirty Dozen horns during Fest... :D ;D :)

Or maybe, they'll come down and co-headline with the Mule one night...

No doubt!  I haven't been on that board in a while, but I'm a JF vet...grew up in St. Charles Parish (now living in Annapolis).

That TBA headliner for second weekend has me hoping...and praying...and hoping...and praying.