New Pearl Jam Album 09

Started by Bumbeli, Feb 11, 2009, 08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumbeli

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/pearl-jam-pumped-up-to-hit-the-studio-1003939154.story

I'm am so excited  :D
Would love to see the new record in 09, would love to see them live this year even more.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

xmascriminal

I'm excited too. Their last record was a huge relief after Binaural and Riot Act. I feel like they're back in their stride now. It seems like they've finally begun to accept their staus as rock stars, and that's allowed their work to be looser and more fun. Anyway, it's going to be great. Right now, I'm using up my entire brain waiting for the Decemberists new album. When that's finally in my posession, I can start using my brain to really get pumped for this.

Soulshine

Very happy to know this  :)

xmas- why no love for Binaural and Riot Act? I totally appreciate and respect your opinion I'm just curious to know what you didn't like about those albums.  ;)
Because we're all in this together...

Hawkeye

I LOVE Binaural.  I thought Riot Act was ok.  Then again "OK" for Pearl Jam is "really good" for most bands.
We could.

Soulshine

QuoteI LOVE Binaural.  I thought Riot Act was ok.  Then again "OK" for Pearl Jam is "really good" for most bands.

Their albums are like my little PJ children....you love each of them for what they are. However Ten was the one that changed everything for me.

Bumbeli

I do think those albums are really great, just not outstanding compared to the others. Both got some really really awesome songs on them (i.e. Sleight of Hand, Nothing as it Seems, Lightyears, Love Boat Captain, Thumbing my way, You are, just to mention some  :) )

ALady

QuoteI LOVE Binaural.  I thought Riot Act was ok.  Then again "OK" for Pearl Jam is "really good" for most bands.

Their albums are like my little PJ children....you love each of them for what they are. However Ten was the one that changed everything for me.

Agree, Soulshine.  I have my favorite PJ songs, but I really have a hard time picking a favorite record.  It changes all the time.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

xmascriminal

I just think those two albums sound really subdued. They do have some great songs (Rival, Thin Air, Green Disease ect.), but I just don't like the way they're recorded. Also, the songs are WAY better live, which says something about the records. Ghost for example is one of my favorite PJ songs, but I don't like the studio take at all. Also, the outtakes from Binaural (found on Lost Dogs) are much better than many of the songs they kept, which isn't nearly as true of the other albums. In short, I just don't really find those records fun to listen to, unlike every other album they've done.

Also, BOATS DON'T HAVE REIGNS. That always pisses me off.

dragonboy

I couldn't get into the Avocado but I love Riot Act.  
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Soulshine

QuoteI just think those two albums sound really subdued. They do have some great songs (Rival, Thin Air, Green Disease ect.), but I just don't like the way they're recorded. Also, the songs are WAY better live, which says something about the records. Ghost for example is one of my favorite PJ songs, but I don't like the studio take at all. Also, the outtakes from Binaural (found on Lost Dogs) are much better than many of the songs they kept, which isn't nearly as true of the other albums. In short, I just don't really find those records fun to listen to, unlike every other album they've done.

;D

Cool. I understand. After I posted earlier I went on to listen to Riot Act then on to some cuts from Lost Dogs. There are some really great songs there.

Hawkeye

I've had Rival in my head all day after reading this thread...f'in love that song!  "All my rivals will see what I have in store...my gun"  Such a simple riff too, yet catchy and edgy and angry
We could.

Soulshine

QuoteI've had Rival in my head all day after reading this thread...f'in love that song!  "All my rivals will see what I have in store...my gun"  Such a simple riff too, yet catchy and edgy and angry

True! Stone may not write a lot of songs, but he can really put out catchy ones when he does.

weeniebeenie

New PJ album?!?!?!? Yay!!!!!
But where on earth is my Christmas Single?

And for the record, Riot Act is my favourite PJ album.
How loud can silence get?

Bumbeli

I have to admit that I prefer the live versions over the ones on the record too, but I think that is because PJ is such a great live act and not because the album itself is bad. There are very few songs I'd rather listen to the album version to than live.

Jbones72

Great News!!! Happy to hear they are working with Brendan O'Brien again!

ALady

QuoteNew PJ album?!?!?!? Yay!!!!!
But where on earth is my Christmas Single?

And for the record, Riot Act is my favourite PJ album.

;D ;D ;D

They are funny as hell with that Christmas single nonsense.  I've never once gotten it before January.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Kenny76

QuoteI just think those two albums sound really subdued. They do have some great songs (Rival, Thin Air, Green Disease ect.), but I just don't like the way they're recorded. Also, the songs are WAY better live, which says something about the records. Ghost for example is one of my favorite PJ songs, but I don't like the studio take at all. Also, the outtakes from Binaural (found on Lost Dogs) are much better than many of the songs they kept, which isn't nearly as true of the other albums. In short, I just don't really find those records fun to listen to, unlike every other album they've done.

Couldn't agree more.  I think the songs on those albums are great, but when they went into the studio to record them, they just didn't have the energy that they do when they play them live.  Listen to Save You on Riot Act - this is the worst version of that song ever played!  The drums sound very rigid and Eddie sounds like he just woke up from a nap. The quieter songs on Binaural tend to sound pretty good, particularly Of the Girl and Sleight of Hand, but the other songs are a mess.  Avocado was a better studio album but those songs also sound much much better live.  I was listening to the Hartford '06 bootleg today that whole thing just KICKS.  I think the last great studio album they made was Yield.

Janet

It's been more like an Easter single for as many years as I can remember...

New release in 2009!  Hells yeah!  I think I just peed my pants a little!   ;D ;D ;D  

nickdavies7

I have great confidence in this new album. They are definately approching everything with more professionalism these days. I can't wait! This means another tour of Australia in '10. WHOOOO.

Signatures are over rated

Clarkwork

On Sirius today they played "Brother" by Pearl Jam.  It was the first i've heard the song and it sounded awesome.  It labeled it as a new song, so I figured it was from the new album, so I thought, YES!, they are going back and sounding like classic pearl jam.  But apparantly it is from the reissue of the Ten album.  

great song though.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....