Main Menu

SXSW

Started by ALady, Jan 14, 2009, 06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

Anyone going?

They just updated the official list of showcasing bands; lots of good stuff on there!

http://sxsw.com/music/shows/bands/
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

alas, ol' choder laments the fact he lives on gov't frommage and cannot afford to get there nor stay there.
I'm surrounded by assholes

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

red

the deep dark woods!

ALady

Quotealas, ol' choder laments the fact he lives on gov't frommage and cannot afford to get there nor stay there.

It's actually one of the cheapest fests, if you know what you're doing.   ;)

SO looking forward to seeing Blue Giant and Viva Voce.

BH

Quotealas, ol' choder laments the fact he lives on gov't frommage and cannot afford to get there nor stay there.

Ahhh, a Viva Voce fan.  I also have been enjoying them since seeing them open for the Shins.  She may be the best female guitar player I have ever seen.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ALady

Yeah, I first saw them either on that tour or at Sasquatch, don't remember which.  I do remember that Anita completely blew me away.  Girl can shred.

Blue Giant appears to be their alt-country project; I'd suggest checking 'em out if you're into that kind of thing.

BH

Blue Giant appears to be their alt-country project; I'd suggest checking 'em out if you're into that kind of thing.

Uhhhh, yeah.   Thanks for the tip!

Ghosts_on_TV

Cheeseburger is still a band?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

el_chode

Ahhh, a Viva Voce fan.  I also have been enjoying them since seeing them open for the Shins.  She may be the best female guitar player I have ever seen.

It's not the festival, it's getting there.

Anyway, excuse me while I sound like a perv, but there is this like 15 or 16 year old girl who is the greatest female guitarist I've ever seen. I couldn't keep my eyes off her, not because of anything sexual, but she played traveling riverside blues at the school of rock fest and completely and entirely owned the stage. it was unreal.

my girlfriend told me one day we'll go to sxsw. i doubt it'll be this year since we're saving for a wedding
I'm surrounded by assholes

at dawn

I'm considering going but need some help, so please excuse my stupid questions.

What's the deal with registering?  I know you don't have to shell out the 600 bucks but are there certain venues at certain times you can't get into unless you have a badge or what?  Can you just pay at the door like a regular show??  Anyone want to lend some advice to a music fest noob?   :)

Sassbox

There are tons of options.  You mentioned the badge which, in my opinion, is really unnecessary.  I believe you can still buy wristbands once you hit town.  I had one last year and the only show it was really necessary for was a showcase at Stubbs which featured REM.  I say necessary because that venue did not offer the option to purchase tickets to the show -- you had to have either a wristband or a badge.

Badges take first priority, so for any sets that require them, they get in first.  Wristbands get in after badges.  Assuming tickets are being sold, the general public comes last.

That being said, there are a TON of free shows/parties during the day, and the vast majority of shows do sell tickets (eg. tickets to MMJ at Austin Music Hall were $25).

I'm going again this year but haven't made the decision about a wristband yet.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

at dawn

Great!  Thanks for the info!  $25 MMJ show?   :o  

I'm definitely going now.   :)

Sassbox

Here are a couple of links:

http://austinist.com/sxswist

http://www.donewaiting.com/category/sxsw/

I didn't mention the St. David's Church show with Jim, Carl and M. Ward (for a couple of songs).   :) That one was free, but only because I had a wristband.  Very intimate...about 200 people in a beautiful setting.  Another tip if you're considering a wristband -- the earlier you're willing to lineup, the greater your chances of getting in to the show.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.