URGENT !! need input !!

Started by ycartrob, Mar 03, 2009, 01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hizzo

QuoteI to this day dont understand how so many people love Hold Steady. Not just like them, love them. I dont think theyre bad, but I have yet to hear anything special from them.

Ill have to think about this the next couple days to get together a few recommendaciones
I couldn't get into them either, but my uncle told me to get Boys and Girls in America and it's really good! I like Stay Positive now too after listening to Boys and Girls. Check it out!
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

TheBigChicken

The Whigs- Mission Control.....college kids just flat out tearing it up
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

el_chode

QuoteThe Whigs- Mission Control.....college kids just flat out tearing it up

Both their albums are worth it if you ask me. And they make for great spring time thaw-out music
I'm surrounded by assholes

pawpaw

Hey Tracy...

I'd agree with all the other folks recommending The Hold Steady's last two albums. I'd also highly recommend the last two albums by TV On The Radio (Return To Cookie Mountain, Dead Science), and the newest ones by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Dig!! Lazarus Dig!!!) and Alejandro Escovedo (Real Animal). I'm pretty sure these were all released after 2005.

I encourage any fan of My Morning Jacket to (if they haven't already) get into Alejandro Escovedo. I feel the same way about his music that I do about MMJ's - I depend on it and appreciate it like an old friend. It's personal, and lovely, and rockin'...he's the man.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ycartrob

I encourage any fan of My Morning Jacket to (if they haven't already) get into Alejandro Escovedo. I feel the same way about his music that I do about MMJ's - I depend on it and appreciate it like an old friend. It's personal, and lovely, and rockin'...he's the man.

thanks. I caught him a couple of years ago on ACL and I loved it but I did not know who it was, and I totally forgot about him until you mentioned him.

would you reccomend A Man Under the Influence  or  The Boxing Mirror ?

LEATHER KID

QuoteThe Whigs- Mission Control.....college kids just flat out tearing it up
The Whigs give you everything they've got all the time and it's always good.  I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love Mission Control.  THat's my vote
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

pawpaw

thanks. I caught him a couple of years ago on ACL and I loved it but I did not know who it was, and I totally forgot about him until you mentioned him.

would you reccomend A Man Under the Influence  or  The Boxing Mirror ?

Hmmm, that is a tough one - they're both wonderful. The Boxing Mirror is probably (at least by the critics) viewed as a more 'important' album...he made it after a few years of life threatening illness. My personal preference between the two, on most days, would be A Man Under the Influence...worth it just for two beautiful songs in the middle of the album, Don't Need You and Follow You Down. I started listening to him around the release of this album, so it probaly impresses me a little more because of that. Gravity and Thirteen Years are also both outstanding albums of his...and I'm sure his others are great, but I haven't heard 'em all...

But you'd be really happy with either of the two you mentioned.  :)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

.Walt

Thank you, I will. :)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

the sun and moon

QuoteUmphrey's MaGee?:

They don't deserve Gibsons!

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

bowl of soup

So that's 2 votes for Powder Burns and many votes for the Hold Steady.  Do yourself a favor and get them all.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Leontheslut

Download Alligator by The National. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.  
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

ycartrob

QuoteDownload Alligator by The National. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.  

yes, I have it, you are correct, it is awesome

Bumbeli

I have listened to Alligator like 2 or 3 times since I got it, I just didn't get really hooked on it yet. I enjoy Boxer quite a lot though. Any recommendations on songs from Alligator?
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

ycartrob

QuoteI have listened to Alligator like 2 or 3 times since I got it, I just didn't get really hooked on it yet. I enjoy Boxer quite a lot though. Any recommendations on songs from Alligator?

Alligator heavies for me  ( * extra heavy)>>

*Secret Meeting
Karen
*Lit Up
Looking for Astronauts
Daughters of the Soho Riots
Baby, We'll Be Fine
*All the Wine
*Abel
*Mr. November

also, see them live, see them live,  SEE  THEM  LIVE!

Leontheslut

QuoteI have listened to Alligator like 2 or 3 times since I got it, I just didn't get really hooked on it yet. I enjoy Boxer quite a lot though. Any recommendations on songs from Alligator?

I love every song on the album. My favorites are Karen, Secret Meeting, Baby, We'll Be Fine, Mr. November.

I agree with Tracy they kick serious ass live. I love the version of Baby, We'll be Fine. It blows me away when they get to the chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm7LEEjww3E
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

vespachick

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ycartrob

Decision time (early) >

1st choice was  Alejandro Escovedo, but it's not on e-music
2nd was "Boys and Girls in America" by the Hold Steady, but it's not on e-music (they do have Stay Positive)

So, I got Powder Burns by the Twilight Singers (I actually got it on Wednesday, but didn't want to say. Thanks Soup for being in touch with it, and thanks Brian for confirming my choice last night). I really love it, too. It's got a Bob Mould (Sugar era) heaviness and even some Elvis Costello on the vocal delivery and some other stuff I can't put my finer on, his own, I guess. I usually don't go for such a "serious tone" these days, but its working for me. Plus, my wife is digging it too, which is a plus.

thank you all, this may be the most imprtant decision I have ever made in my life (well, at least this week).