Main Menu

Mother Love Bone

Started by nickdavies7, Apr 08, 2009, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickdavies7

For years i have been an avid fan of the likes of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Nirvana, Alice In Chains etc...

Just recently i have decided to step out of my standard grunge listening and explored other bands int he genre, i have always know that Pearl jam have covered Crown Of Thorns. But i picked up Mother Love Bone selftitled and i was blown away. Holy fuck!!! One of the best albums i've heard!

What do you guys think....i know i will bring back memories
Signatures are over rated

BH

Did you know that Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard were IN Mother Love Bone?

I used to listen to Apple non stop.   Ah Bone China, my friend...
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Isobella

buaawwww

QuoteI think it's 2009.

K what does that comment mean?  So what if it's 2009?  I listen to all those bands from the grunge era nonstop.  Why?  Because it was a great time in music and produced some unbelieveable albums.  Most we already know (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc.), but there are some incredible albums that get lost along the way that should be checked out for sure.  Among them...

1- Brad "Shame" - Stone's other band with the INCREDIBLE talent that is Shawn Smith.  All of Brad's albums are killer.  And speaking of Shawn Smith...
2- Satchel "EDC" - Shawn's band... this album, start to finish, is absolute perfection.
3- Screaming Trees "Sweet Oblivion" - not a bad track on it.  Mark Lanegan rules!
4- Malfunkshun - this is an unreal album.  Andy Wood's band BEFORE Mother Love Bone.  Try to find this wherever you can.  Amazing listening experience.

Give me a little while and I can come up with some more!  

Penny Lane

makes me think of FISHBONE!! i remember finding my brother's cassette tape---thinking what IS this?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

QuoteI think it's 2009.

3- Screaming Trees "Sweet Oblivion" - not a bad track on it.  Mark Lanegan rules!

First off, I definitely agree with your who cares what year it is statement. In college, almost all my friends listened to stuff like Broken Social Scene, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, etc. while I listened to some current music, but would often put on shit like Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Sublime and random people who would over for poker games, seshes, etc would be like, "dude, you know its 2004, right?"...to which my friends would reply, "thats scotty p, he's old school"  ;D

Anyway, I digress. I was born in 1984 so I kind of got into most of these bands past when they were at their popularity peak, but I was too young to really explore the bands beyond the titans like PJ, Nirvana, STP, AIC, etc.

I discovered Screaming Trees a couple years ago when I was on a 90's kick and trying to make a mix and man, I love em.  Their music definitely has qualities that I can appreciate more now too that I listen to all kinds of music. I think they were hands down the most underappreciate band of the alternative/grunge juggernaut. I find their music to be the most diverse out of any of those bands.

Sweet Oblivion
is their masterpiece, but Dust is excellent as well. Must own material. Too bad they had to break up

You should definitely get some Screaming Trees if you dont have any already Nick.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI think it's 2009.

First off, I definitely agree with your who cares what year it is statement. In college, almost all my friends listened to stuff like Broken Social Scene, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, etc. while I listened to some current music, but would often put on shit like Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Sublime and random people who would over for poker games, seshes, etc would be like, "dude, you know its 2004, right?"...to which my friends would reply, "thats scotty p, he's old school"  ;D

Anyway, I digress. I was born in 1984 so I kind of got into most of these bands past when they were at their popularity peak, but I was too young to really explore the bands beyond the titans like PJ, Nirvana, STP, AIC, etc.

I discovered Screaming Trees a couple years ago when I was on a 90's kick and trying to make a mix and man, I love em.  Their music definitely has qualities that I can appreciate more now too that I listen to all kinds of music. I think they were hands down the most underappreciate band of the alternative/grunge juggernaut. I find their music to be the most diverse out of any of those bands.

Sweet Oblivion
is their masterpiece, but Dust is excellent as well. Must own material. Too bad they had to break up

You should definitely get some Screaming Trees if you dont have any already Nick.

I had Dust back in the day but I think I sold it when I was getting into punk and out of grunge. I regret that along with some other albums and I think I'd like Screaming Trees more now than before.
And yeah, who cares what year it is? I guess that means The Beatles aren't cool anymore either. Isobella sure makes a lot of douchey comments.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjkoehler

Quotemakes me think of FISHBONE!! i remember finding my brother's cassette tape---thinking what IS this?
Yeah, Fishbone is special.

capt. scotty

QuoteI think it's 2009.

Sweet Oblivion

I had Dust back in the day but I think I sold it when I was getting into punk and out of grunge. I regret that along with some other albums and I think I'd like Screaming Trees more now than before.
And yeah, who cares what year it is? I guess that means The Beatles aren't cool anymore either. Isobella sure makes a lot of douchey comments.

I definitely agree with the enjoying them more now part. Even if I had 1 of their albums in the mid-90's, I wouldnt have been able to appreciate the complexities of it and the blues sensibilities.

You can get either of those albums use on Amazon for under $3. Do it.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Hawkeye

Don't stop there...get some solo Lanegan stuff too!  And Gutter Twins...all things Lanegan!
We could.

xmascriminal

QuoteDon't stop there...get some solo Lanegan stuff too!  And Gutter Twins...all things Lanegan!

I love Mark Lanegan's solo stuff, The Winding Sheet especially. Haven't heard any Gutter Twins.

Isobella

QuoteI think it's 2009.

Sweet Oblivion

And yeah, who cares what year it is? I guess that means The Beatles aren't cool anymore either.[highlight] Isobella sure makes a lot of douchey comments[/highlight].

Ouch, I can't really help it my parents are douches too.

Isobella

I was not trying to belittle anybodies musical taste, in fact I have all of the screaming trees sst records and saw them once with mike watt and the meat puppets, I never really cared for the Mother Love Bone albums though, I thought the production sounded a little to glam but the songs weren't bad, my same problem with the first alice in chains album.  Though I did enjoy This is Shangri La on NCAA 2007.  Any way, my real point was just I think it's a little strange that someones  main musical interest would be a music from one particular era.
See, I'm not so bad.

Vadie Stark

Will people ever learn that their taste in music is never as good as someone else's? Pay attention!@#$%^&* :P
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Isobella

Some other lesser known grunge type bands you might like if you haven't heard them already are
Tad
Skin Yard
The Melvins (my favorite)
Mud Honey (second favorite)
Grunttruck

ManNamedTruth

QuoteWill people ever learn that their taste in music is never as good as someone else's? Pay attention!@#$%^&* :P

I wouldn't go that far, what about Nickleback and Jonas Brothers fans?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

weeniebeenie

Skin Yard
Yes!!!!! I love all things Matt Cameron. I have the first album with the Bowie song on it. It's too cool.
How loud can silence get?

buaawwww

QuoteDon't stop there...get some solo Lanegan stuff too!  And Gutter Twins...all things Lanegan!

I love Mark Lanegan's solo stuff, The Winding Sheet especially. Haven't heard any Gutter Twins.

The Gutter Twins album is excellent.  I happen to be a big fan of all things Dulli as well (afghan whigs, twilight singers, etc.).  Lanegan's last solo album "Bubblegum" is an incredible listening experience.  Also love all the songs Lanegan has recorded with the mighty QOTSA.

I encourage everyone though to check out Shawn Smith.  This guy deserves more!!!