Matt Borghi (for ambient lovers)

Started by ycartrob, Apr 19, 2009, 01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Found these on e-music. Amazing atmospheres for us ambient lovers of grounded presence.

The Phantom Light is a work that's comprised four compositions with titles derived from some of the most remote lighthouses on the northern Great Lakes.
1. Ile Aux Gales
2. Manistee North Pierhead
3. Seul Choix Point
4. North Manitou Island Shoal
The works are inspired by sailor's tales of being adrift on The Great Lakes during storms, and catastrophic weather. Sailors, looking out on the horizon for a sign of life, a light of hope, aimed their ships towards the safety of these phantom lighthouses hoping to get to a safe harbor. Often times these phantom lighthouses just lead to a rocky shoal and a watery death. These "phantom" lights have been a thing of myth for as long as The Great Lakes freshwater seas have been sailed.

Huronic Minor - Matt Borghi's sophmore effort, released in November 2000, Huronic Minor is the first released excursion into dark ambient, or pure ambient. This is an extremely minimal, ambient release that's chock full of atmospheric drones, and harmonically resonant chordings. Huronic Minor is conceptually-based on The Great Storm of 1913, a three-day period of storms that did more damage, and took more lives than any Great Lakes storm before or since. The song titles are based on various sequences of the storm, and articles from a variety of regional newspapers, and mariner reports of the time.

pawpaw

Found these on e-music. Amazing atmospheres for us ambient lovers of grounded presence.

The Phantom Light is a work that's comprised four compositions with titles derived from some of the most remote lighthouses on the northern Great Lakes.
1. Ile Aux Gales
2. Manistee North Pierhead
3. Seul Choix Point
4. North Manitou Island Shoal
The works are inspired by sailor's tales of being adrift on The Great Lakes during storms, and catastrophic weather. Sailors, looking out on the horizon for a sign of life, a light of hope, aimed their ships towards the safety of these phantom lighthouses hoping to get to a safe harbor. Often times these phantom lighthouses just lead to a rocky shoal and a watery death. These "phantom" lights have been a thing of myth for as long as The Great Lakes freshwater seas have been sailed.

Huronic Minor - Matt Borghi's sophmore effort, released in November 2000, Huronic Minor is the first released excursion into dark ambient, or pure ambient. This is an extremely minimal, ambient release that's chock full of atmospheric drones, and harmonically resonant chordings. Huronic Minor is conceptually-based on The Great Storm of 1913, a three-day period of storms that did more damage, and took more lives than any Great Lakes storm before or since. The song titles are based on various sequences of the storm, and articles from a variety of regional newspapers, and mariner reports of the time.

Never heard of this guy...sounds cool. I'll do a little investigatin'
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."