Has anyone heard of / listened to...

Started by MarkW, Apr 01, 2007, 06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

Thought I'd start this to glean info about bands who probably don't deserve a thread of their very own:

First up: anyone heard of / listened to The Fucking Champs?  I *cough* stumbled upon their website this morning, and I'm intrigued.  Might be DB's sort of area - instrumental-prog-post-rock?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Dorothy_Mantooth

i've heard the name, but only spoken by kids who ride motorbikes and seem kind of/really rad. so what's the verdict on dropping f-bombs in your band name? do you think that might come back to haunt them a  bit?
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

dragonboy

I've heard the name (hard to miss!) but not the music. Cheers Mark, I shall check them out...

EDIT: http://www.myspace.com/thefuckingchamps
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MarkW

Quoteso what's the verdict on dropping f-bombs in your band name? do you think that might come back to haunt them a  bit?

I think an f-word based band name certainly means it's unlikely you'll get many bookings for weddings and bat mitzvahs.

Thanks for the myspace link, db.  If I wasn't such an old fart I probably would have looked there myself...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

dragonboy

Didn't figure these guys would get too many hits with their own threads.
Fans of Fat Possum blues might do well to check these 2 out:

Scott H Biram: http://www.myspace.com/scotthbiram

Seasick Steve: http://www.myspace.com/seasicksteve

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I'm head-over-heels in love for this wonderful woman.  I'm really looking forward to her forthcoming album of original material.

www.myspace.com/serenaryder

red

red

//www.myspace.com/nationalfrost  

In five or six years there's been one semi-local band that I've ever liked, there is now two.  Dreamy greatness, I can't wait to see these guys on the 20th and get a hold of their debut (I hope it's available).

Love this picture too:

MarkW

Quote//www.myspace.com/nationalfrost  Dreamy greatness

Too right.  I like this a lot.  It's soothing my work-furrowed brow as I type.

red

Quote//www.myspace.com/nationalfrost  Dreamy greatness

Too right.  I like this a lot.  It's soothing my work-furrowed brow as I type.
I'm so in love with this band and I've only heard three or four of their songs!  

They're playing here next weekend at the lamest bar in town - opening for a band that everyone in town loves (because three of the members are originally from here).  IMO they're rubbish, absolute trash.  Can't stand them one bit.  

I'll be leaving as soon as NF are done their (what I'm anticipating as amazing) set.

red

SON OF A BITCH.  The stupid club here is not allowing a two band bill.  Therefore, no National Frost.   >:(

I seriously want to find a show in this town for this band, I just HAVE to see them.

EC

QuoteJon-Rae & The River!!!  Gospel-tinged, alt-country, shuffle rock.   :D

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25516348
i love jon-rae, but find that i prefer his live show to the album.  it's a heated show, that is for sure.

EC

Quotei've heard the name, but only spoken by kids who ride motorbikes and seem kind of/really rad. so what's the verdict on dropping f-bombs in your band name? do you think that might come back to haunt them a  bit?
there's a band here called holy fuck and they do really well.

red

Quotei love jon-rae, but find that i prefer his live show to the album.  it's a heated show, that is for sure.
I was only familiar with a few of thier songs until I seen him last month.  I was very impressed (I also like the pretty blonde lady).  Ladyhawk/Jon-Rae/The Constantines - now that was a rock show!!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Quotethere's a band here called holy fuck and they do really well.

i am very impressed by this but know that i could never tell my mom my band's true name.

Has anyone heard of that band called James? I think we're talking mid 90's.... They were overlooked and still are I guess. They're a ton like Big Country but there's a little more to dig into. I don't even know if other people really listened to them because I just stole my brother's CD. I revisit their album, Laid, from time to time.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

dragonboy

i am very impressed by this but know that i could never tell my mom my band's true name.

Has anyone heard of that band called James? I think we're talking mid 90's.... They were overlooked and still are I guess. They're a ton like Big Country but there's a little more to dig into. I don't even know if other people really listened to them because I just stole my brother's CD. I revisit their album, Laid, from time to time.

James were huge in the UK, Ratsprayer is a fan I think.
Like Big Country?!! This Big Country? http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:difuxqw5ldse
I like both bands, can't quite see the comparison myself though...

ratsprayer

james is the shit!  i think LAID might bonafide-ly be in my top 25 albums of all time.  i listen to that album at least twice a week.  

ali

i've got pleased to meet you... have to get a copy of laid one of these days.

i saw tim booth in a movie recently, can't remember what it was though... was one of those freaky "what the hell?" moments - like seeing ian brown (stone roses) in the first harry potter movie... THAT was weird.
love a song for the way it makes you feel

MarkW

james is the shit!  i think LAID might bonafide-ly be in my top 25 albums of all time.  i listen to that album at least twice a week.  

I saw James supporting the Smiths in the mid/late 80s.  Very good then, and were massive in the 90s in the UK.

I'm currently listening to a friend's band on myspace, called To A God Unknown:

http://www.myspace.com/godunknown

If you like instrumental post-rock and live in Taipei, it would be worth trundling along to see them.