New Felice Brothers record

Started by Coltrane, Apr 07, 2009, 07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltrane

came out today......anybody heard it yet, beyond the iTunes snippets??

thinking about picking it up tomorrow...
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

mjkoehler

nope anxiously waiting to buy it tonight.

Sassbox

I gave it a quick listen, once...jury's out on this end.   In sad, related news (with apologies for the length) here's a note from Simone Felice:

Dear Friends and Family, this is just a little note to show my deepest gratitude for all the letters and concern I've received over my absence from The Felice Brothers stage over the past few months, and for the boundless love and belief you've shown for our music over the years.

This winter has been a time of tragedy, sadness, and regeneration in my life. I'd been working on a new book and recording some songs with my dear old friend Robert close to home in the Catskill Mountains and my long time love and I were expecting our first child. Then in late January out of the blue we lost our baby girl and it really broke my heart and turned my world inside out. In the process of mourning it helped a lot to turn some of the sorrow and revelation into songs and after a while I came back to Robert and I's cabin/studio to put them down and to finish the other recordings we started.

I've been writing a lot this past year, and seeing as my role in the band was always more of a supportive one (helping with lyrics, drumming, harmonies and the occasional lead vocal) I've been compelled to find a vehicle that would help me be able to share all these new songs and stories. So I hope you like The Duke & The King, the songs mean a lot to us, being as they are, after all, the soundtrack of a long fateful winter. We'll be playing a handful of debut shows come spring, and I'll be working on finishing the novel and spending more time close to home. The boys have a couple great drummers working with them now (chief among them our close friend Jeremy 'The Searcher' who's produced all our records and was one of my most important drum teachers in the long ago, and Dave, an awesome young hitter who I've had the privilege of working with this spring to pass on some of the stank codes of our tradition), and they all have a very strong and dynamite vision of how to carry the music and poetry we've all made together into the future. I'll be making special appearances at Felice shows from time to time to share the stage with my brothers as they support 'Yonder Is The Clock' (our proudest effort to date) and beyond, something I look forward to with an earnest and warm heart.

It's very nice that I can be candid in sharing these heavy life changes with you guys, though the comfort I feel in doing so is no surprise considering how loving and supportive you've been in helping us build this big old crazy family together, a family as sacred as it is rowdy! Please know that it really is you all who've made this never-ending story of ours possible, and that this knowledge has never and will never be lost on me.

God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

capt. scotty

Man, I had no idea these guys were already coming out with another album!!  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Although I know best buy doesnt have it and im guessing my new&used store wont either. Might have to go the iTunes way.

I really like what I heard based on the clips. Cant believe its #131 on Amazon either, didnt realize they were that "big".

Didnt know about a band member leaving. Sounds like he's permanently done with the Felice Bros. based on the "ill share the stage with them for this tour and beyond". I cant imagine having an upcoming band with my brothers then deciding to leave it permanently. I understand his current doings, but done for good?!

If the jury's out Sassbox, what says they?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Sassbox

I should have issued a caveat with that:  I have never been crazy about TFB on record, but I really LOVE them live.  I listened to the new album once and, while I enjoyed it, my history with them doesn't bode well for me ever loving it.  

Very sad about Simone, he brought so much energy to their sets.  I'll be anxious to hear the new stuff, though.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

lasvegas

another great album from the boys from woodstock.

as fun of a live show as you can see. some of the best whiskey swilling music out there.

this album, along with last years self titled album have been produced really well, imo.

kudos boys, a job well done.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

ALady

I need to get this record.  I love them live, and hate to say that there was definitely the feeling that something was missing from their Austin shows last month due to the absence of Simone.  I hope I can catch him with them again sometime.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

The DARK

Saw them open for OCMS a month or two ago. They put on a good show, but I really don't see myself ever really getting into them.
In another time, in another place, in another face

capt. scotty

Im really digging this record. Great front to back, and the track ordering is perfection. I think the sound is mixed up more evenly on this one and keeps you interested.

Boy From Lawrence County is definitely my favorite song, but other standouts to me are of course Penn Station, and Cooperstown, Ambulance Man, Chicken Wire, and Katie Dear.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

If this guy is Simone Felice, he was definitely on the drums.

Awesome show

Sassbox and ALady were both right, their live shows are about 3 levels above their sound in the studio. I cant even imagine seeing this show without Simone on drums. They had another guy play the skins for 2 songs, and it just wasnt the same. Not only does the guy bring energy, but he makes the drums sound thunderous. Who knows if he stays with the band or not, but they all seemed like they were loving it and from a viewers perspective, I think once he keeps playing with the band now, he'll stay there.

The Felice Brothers arent a band I would call a favorite, but considering they arent in that high of a standing, that was 1 of the best not-1-of-my-favorite bands shows Ive ever seen.

Muchos gracias to the talk on this board, otherwise I never would've heard of them.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ALady

That's Simone.  You lucky so and so!

capt. scotty

So since im officially hooked on the F-Bros, a few questions to those who have been listening to them for awhile. Do any of you have their earlier releases Through These Reins and Gone or Adventures of the Felice Brothers Vol. 1??

Apparently AOTFB Vol. 1 was only available at their live shows, although I dont know if they're still selling it at their shows since it came out in 2007. I didnt see any merch available at the show I was at last week. Can anyone whose seen them on this tour, SXSW, or anywhere else recently confirm this 1 way or another?

Any ideas where I could find either besides ebay?

I'm sure they're worth it, but just wanted to know. TTRAG has 4 songs not available on any other release, but AOTFBVol 1 has 8! I just saw it on ebay, but its already at $26 with about 4 days still left until the auction's over. If anyone knows that they are still selling it at their shows, instead of me paying $40 or more for this on ebay (if I decide I need it that bad  ::)), I might as well just go to their show in Columbus, OH a month from now and get it for $10 or something since that plus a ticket and gas probably wouldnt be much more than what it would cost on ebay  ;D

ALady

If you email their manager he might be able to hook you up with a copy.  I think his name is Daniel.

In all honesty though their live show is where it's at.  I listen to their records approximately...never.

capt. scotty

QuoteIf you email their manager he might be able to hook you up with a copy.  I think his name is Daniel.

In all honesty though their live show is where it's at.  I listen to their records approximately...never.

I actually did email their manager, who is Norm according to their website  ;D

He said they aren't selling it at their live shows anymore and there are no plans to re-release them.

I think they were actually on a different label then, so I'm thinking he probably couldn't hook up a copy.

Yeah, I need to download some shows I think. However, I think the new album does a much better job in replicating the energy of the louder songs than S/T did.

ALady

Daniel might still be their road manager.  Not sure.

Anyway, if you like the Simone songs, he's got some new songs streaming here:

http://www.myspace.com/dukeandtheking

capt. scotty

Do you know any sites that have bit torrents, flacs, etc. of their shows?

ALady

No, I don't really collect their live stuff, no idea if it even exists.

capt. scotty

QuoteNo, I don't really collect their live stuff, no idea if it even exists.

yeah, Im not seeing anything on etree and a few other sites Ive checked out  :-/