Jim's interview from the SXSW show

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Feb 17, 2009, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

I finally listened to the interview portion of the ACL show and found it very interesting to hear Jim openly discuss his sincere interest in religion and God (among the other topics covered).  I know there have been some discussions here about religion/spituality as it relates to MMJ music and it was nice to finally get a definitive answer of sorts.  I'm kind of interested in what others here think of this revelation--I know there are some very difinitive opinions on both sides of this subject here so I'm expecting some interesting takes from this intelligent and vocal crowd.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MMJ_fanatic

Sorry I had the wrong show originally...not ACL but SXSW (duh)

TheRoof

Yeah I vividly remember that interview after their 1st ACL show and it almost seemed as if he was in a genius/trance state of mind during the interview....like he was focused on EVERY single word coming out of his head..."God being a force"...etc

Here's an ACL Behind the Scenes with MMJ background music accompanying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYcK_efiok
You Are Everything

TheRoof

Well you helped refresh my mind of the post ACL interview even if it was a mistake....so thanks!!!
You Are Everything

st. john

''..like he was focused on EVERY single word coming out of his head..."God being a force"...etc ''

DRUGS BEING A FORCE....

the sun and moon

What is this interview you're talking about?

goose

I believe it is from before SXSW with the guy from NPR.  Where he talks about walking alot, right?
Hooked on four like one, two, three

songdiver

I think it's pretty obvious in the lyrics, but also in interviews he's made other mentions of his beliefs.  I'm sure there are still people out there that are so ignorant that they think there are only two types of belief: Organized religion and atheism.  Jim makes his agnostic believes very apparent, it's just kind of hard for some people to understand that you don't have to be labeled a Christian, Muslim, etc to have spiritual questions or revelations, so if Jim mention the word Christ people automatically think, "oh, he said Christ, that means it's a Christian song."  We are all agnostic, because "knowing," is not possible.  I know some people will try and rip on me, but almost every song demonstrates Jim's understanding of collective unconsciousness/us all being one or a part of whatever god is/quantum mechanics/etc.  Over and over again he is pleading with people to understand that we are all a part of this oneness so that we can stop being so fucked up.  He's essentially a mystic, which is SWEET, just like Wayne Coyne, Conor Oberst, or any other magical musician who isn't afraid of the dark anymore.  
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

songdiver

and please don't take me the wrong way.  I am not saying that if you consider yourself a christian that you can't get something out of the songs.  in no way am i saying faith is wrong; faith is also a part of being truly agnostic, because it's FAITH, not knowing.  I just don't want anybody to think I'm trying to imply MMJ is not for them or something.  My point is that their music is for EVERYONE, that's their whole message.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

aMillionDreams

Jim's talked about spirituality in many interviews, it's been discussed many times on here, but still the people who want to believe Jim is a Christian will continue to believe that and the people who want to believe Jim is an atheist will believe that. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, those are my observations after following this band for 10 years.  It shouldn't matter what Jim believes, and ultimately it doesn't because people will believe what they want to believe despite any evidence that they may be wrong. This is the nature of faith.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

hizzo

Is the interview being talking about linked at the top or is it from something else? And is there a link?
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

MMJ_fanatic