Belgium/Netherlands?

Started by walterfredo, Feb 17, 2009, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

Question for those in the know (and I hope this isn't another question that's been asked umpteen times ala "what's that thing Jim plays")

What is the band's connection with Belgium and The Netherlands?  I was looking at the old tour dates on this site and noticed that they've played tons and tons of shows in those two countries, including 3 separate trips to those two countries in 2000 alone...at a time they were pretty much still only playing in the Louisville area.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

BH

It basically revolves around a bit of a cult following they had in the early days that developed when a local radio station got a hold of the album and played it quite a bit.   It is explained a little better in the early documentary that you should be able to find floating around from that time period.   I think it was basically just a small concidence that started the ball rolling on their amazing career.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

goose

Watch this video.  It will explain all of the stuff you are asking about.

VPRO TV Lola de Musica: This Is Not America
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KQLFZD6B
Hooked on four like one, two, three

walterfredo

searchinbig

QuoteIt basically revolves around a bit of a cult following they had in the early days that developed when a local radio station got a hold of the album and played it quite a bit.   It is explained a little better in the early documentary that you should be able to find floating around from that time period.   I think it was basically just a small concidence that started the ball rolling on their amazing career.

All this time I thought it was cause of those fancy, well you know, bars they have over there!  ;D
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

CC

it started with this glowing review in a dutch daily paper, november 1999:

more glowing reviews followed > they ended up number 1 on an alternative album chart from Oor Magazine > the booker of The Paradiso venue in Amsterdam decided to bring them over for a little tour > VPRO TV made a documentary during that 1st tour > another tour followed.

they got some radio airplay at the time but never a whole lot.

evilPaauwe

Despite, they certainly dont have a big following in Denmark. I had tickets to see them in Denmark and the venue had a max occupancy of FIVE HUNDRED fucking people!! MMJ, who is playing at Madison Square Garden......... five hundred people. I have yet to see them live, and i was fucking STOKED to see them in Denmark(?!?!) but then he hurt himself, god i pray they reschedule the European tour soon.
cheers.