Joe Ely
Guy Clark
Steve Earle
Willy Nelson
Delbert McClinton

They usually get the job done for me.
the future is Ginger

dragonboy

QuoteAny Dale Watson fans? Just got Whiskey or God in the mail.
Check him out if you haven't already, he's the real deal! (Cheatin' Heart Attack is my fav)

http://www.myspace.com/dalewatson
http://www.dalewatson.com/

I got his new album a little while ago and really loving it.
he's playing around here soon, think i'll have to check that out.
He's supposed to be very good live, plays for a good couple of hours. I was supposed to see him @ the Continental Club in Austin a couple of years ago but had to cut my trip short & return home.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

QuoteTones van Zandt
Joe Ely
Guy Clark
Steve Earle
Willy Nelson
Delbert McClinton

I like your list Greggy but don't have any Delbert McClinton, good place to start?
(PS good to see you!)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wordawg

QuoteTones van Zandt
Joe Ely
Guy Clark
Steve Earle
Willy Nelson
Delbert McClinton

I like your list Greggy but don't have any Delbert McClinton, good place to start?
(PS good to see you!)

Genuine Cowhide or Keeper of the Flame.

Strange to say, but I always thought that he should have taken over the vocals on Little Feat after the death of Lowell.

wordelbert
the future is Ginger

dragonboy

The Best Of The Johnny Cash Show just got released on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TLMWMY/ref=amb_link_688532_21/103-1931782-4423024?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0YF7N1ZX17WBX84NWG1M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=310707301&pf_rd_i=5174

DISC 1
Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire
Bob Dylan - I Threw It All Away
Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash - Girl From The North Country
Kris Kristofferson - Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
Louis Armstrong and Johnny Cash - Blue Yodel #9
Stevie Wonder - Heaven Help Us All
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
Linda Ronstadt and Johnny Cash - I Will Never Marry
George Jones - Medley (White Lightning with Johnny Cash, She Thinks I Still Care, Love Bug, The Race Is On)
Johnny Cash - Hey Porter
Waylon Jennings - Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line
Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash - The Singing Star's Queen
Waylon Jennings - Brown Eyed Handsome Man
Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man
Marty Robbins - Medley (Big Iron, Running Gun, El Paso)
Johnny Cash - Come Along And Ride This Train
Johnny Cash - As Long As The Grass Shall Grow
Johnny Cash - Man In Black
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Pete Seeger and Johnny Cash - Cripple Creek, Worried Man Blues
Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down
Johnny Cash - Old Time Religion
Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, The Statler Brothers, Carl Perkins and The TennesseeThree - Daddy Sang Bass
Mother Maybelle and The Carter Sisters - Wildwood Flower
Neil Young - The Needle And The Damage Done
Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Three - Tennessee Flat Top Box
Joni Mitchell and Johnny Cash - The Long Black Veil
Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Three with Carl Perkins - Big River
DISC 2
Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line
June Carter Cash - A Good Man
Derek And The Dominos - It's Too Late
Derek And The Dominos with Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins - Matchbox
Charley Pride - Able Bodied Man
Bill Monroe And His Blue Grass Boys - Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Loretta Lynn - I Know How
Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
Johnny Cash - Ride This Train (America The Beautiful, This Land Is Your Land)
The Everly Brothers with Ike Everly and Johnny and Tommy Cash - That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine
Ray Charles - Ring Of Fire
Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue
Conway Twitty - Hello Darlin'
Mother Maybelle Carter - Black Mountain Rag
Tony Joe White and Johnny Cash - Polk Salad Annie
Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie
Ray Price - For The Good Times
Roy Orbison - Crying
Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash - Oh, Pretty Woman
Johnny Cash - Wanted Man
Chet Atkins and Johnny Cash - Recuerdo De La Alhambra
Chet Atkins - Medley (Country Gentleman, Mister Sandman, Wildwood Flower, Freight Train)
June Carter Cash with Homer And Jethro - Baby, It's Cold Outside
Merle Haggard - No Hard Times
Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash - Sing Me Back Home
Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes
Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, The Carter Family and The Statler Brothers - The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago
Roy Clark - Medley (In The Summertime, 12th Street Rag)
The Statler Brothers - Flowers On The Wall
Johnny Cash - Working Man Blues
Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash - Jackson, Turn Around, I Love You Because
Hank Williams Jr. - Medley (You Win Again, Cold Cold Heart, I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You, Half As Much)
Johnny Cash - A Wonderful Time Up There

aMD

Nice!  I've been wondering when they were going to release this on DVD.  I'm disappointed to see that none of shel silverstein's performances made it on there, but it's hard to complain about that songlist.  thanks for posting.

dragonboy

Yeah I've been waiting a long time for these too.
Like you said, shame they've been cut up & that it's not the whole thing but there are some great artists/tracks on those 2 DVDs.

dragonboy

QuoteSad news...
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/obit.wagoner.ap/index.html
Very sad  :'(

Wagonmaster is excellent, pick it up if you don't already have it.

ChiefOKONO

lots of greats in this thread!

one of my all time favorites is Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris.

His GP/Grievous Angel and the Flying Burrito Brothers are classic.

also, Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo should be mentioned!

I just saw Emmylou recently and it was Amazing! she is a living legend for sure!!
i'd Highly recommend seeing her if you have a chance, because her band is really talented and tight and her voice is as good as ever!

dragonboy

From allmusic:
http://blog.allmusic.com/2007/10/29/in-tribute-porter-wagoner/

Other country stars of the '60s shone brighter while other artists were more influential, but no other country singer captured the sound and style of Nashville in the '60s like Porter Wagoner. He had been a fixture in Music City since the mid '50s, after his single "A Satisfied Mind" went to number one, but the '60s was Porter's decade as he racked up Top 10 singles — "Misery Loves Company," "Green Green Grass of Home," "Skid Row Joe," "The Cold Hard Facts of Life" — and, more importantly, he began his long-running television program The Porter Wagoner Show in 1960. On that show, he cut a striking figure in his flamboyant Nudie suits and, along with his appearances on the Grand Ole Opry, he displayed a taste for both cornball kitsch and hard country, with the kitsch slightly overshadowing his excellent traditional country thanks in no small part to his flair for the dramatic, as evident on his classic album covers and melodramatic hits like 1969's "The Carroll County Accident." By the time "The Carroll County Accident" reached number two on the country charts, he had switched out his old duet partner Norma Jean in favor for Dolly Parton. Porter was instrumental in bringing Dolly her stardom and once she left Wagoner and the show behind, it often seemed that the mainstream press suggested his only major contribution was launching Parton's career — a ludicrous suggestion, of course, as he had a formidable legacy of his own. Nevertheless, the fact that his biggest hits captured the feeling of the decade so well, it was hard for latter generations to hear the excellence of his best music.

Fortunately, Wagoner — who passed away on Sunday, October 28, at the age of 80 after a battle with lung cancer — did live to see his reputation get restored, as he released a final album called Wagonmaster this past June. Produced by Marty Stuart and released on Anti, Wagonmaster was a pure, straightahead country album that captured his essence the way his Nashville records didn't, but even those are aging well, as evidenced by Omni's recent release The Rubber Room, a 29-track compilation of his strangest '60s and '70s sides, suggesting that there was much more to Wagoner than Nudie suits. But those Nudie suits have their appeal too, and anyone brought on board with either of these two recent releases may be able to better hear how good those big mainstream hits of the '60s were, best heard on the 2002 comp RCA Country Legends. And anybody that hasn't spent time with Porter could use any of these three discs as a starting point — they're all different, to be sure, but they'll all build an appreciation for a country singer whose enormous popularity strangely enough tended to masquerade his achievements and made him somewhat underappreciated. (Further recommended listening: Omni, who released The Rubber Room, has also recently released a Norma Jean compilation called I Guess That Comes from Being Poor, which contains all of her 1972 LP of the same name and the 1968 LP Body and Mind, plus several other cuts.)

dragonboy

Played some Porter this afternoon, which lead me to Dolly, who then had me playing some Tammy. Sometimes nothing but classic country hits the spot.

These CDs have gotten me all excited about Xmas - I have heaps of country Xmas CDs (Johnny, Willie, Merle, Tammy, Emmy etc)  :D

dragonboy

TheBigChicken

wow Charlie Pride wasn't even mentioned until DB listed the entire set list for the Johnny Cash show :-/..Charlie Rich, Ferrell Young, David Allen Coe, Jerry Reed, Marty Robbins...just off the top o' da noggin :)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

tenn

Quotewow Charlie Pride wasn't even mentioned until DB listed the entire set list for the Johnny Cash show :-/..Charlie Rich, Ferrell Young, David Allen Coe, Jerry Reed, Marty Robbins...just off the top o' da noggin :)

Marty Robbins, Roy Orbison, Ronnie Milsap

dragonboy

Quotewow Charlie Pride wasn't even mentioned until DB listed the entire set list for the Johnny Cash show :-/..Charlie Rich, Ferrell Young, David Allen Coe, Jerry Reed, Marty Robbins...just off the top o' da noggin :)
I love Charlie Rich & have lots of his CDs. I have Best Ofs by Charlie Pride, David Allen Coe & Jerry Reed.

red

My friend just lent me this, and I can't stop listening.  I need to get my grubby paws on my own copy asap.  

Hawkeye

QuoteMy friend just lent me this, and I can't stop listening.  I need to get my grubby paws on my own copy asap.  

Agreed.  I just saw this on Aquarium Drunkard the other day.  Looks pretty good!  I'd like to get it on vinyl.
We could.

dragonboy

QuoteMy friend just lent me this, and I can't stop listening.  I need to get my grubby paws on my own copy asap.  

Agreed.  I just saw this on Aquarium Drunkard the other day.  Looks pretty good!  I'd like to get it on vinyl.
Legend has it that Billy Joe Shaver held a gun to Waylon's head @ one of Willie's 4th of July BBQs & told him he had to record his songs or he'd pull the trigger  ;)
This is one of Waylon's best, if you're going to buy the CD then look out for the UK version that has it with Lonesome Onry & Mean as a 2 for 1.

Speaking of The Highwaymen, the latest issue of Mojo has a rare interview with Kris Kristofferson.

PromKing#1

here is my sweet ass country mix i made for myself a few months back

"You're Still On My Mind" The Byrds
"Why Don't You Love Me" Hank Williams
"No Depression" Uncle Tupelo
"I'm a Honky Tonk Girl" Loretta Lynn
"Country Death Song" Violent Femmes
"Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" Willie Nelson
"Tha'ts Why I'm Walking" Elvis Costello & the Attractions
"Blue Moon of Kentucky" Elvis Presley
"Country Honk" The Rolling Stones
"Jambalaya" Emmylou Harris
"How Much I've Lied" Gram Parsons
"Pretty Girl" Ween
"Please Don't Bury Me" John Prine
"Waiting for the Sun" The Jayhawks
"Understand Your Man" Johnny Cash
"Lonesome Road Blues" Bill Monroe
"Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" Lucinda Willians
"Your Cheatin' Heart" Beck
"Once an Angel" Neil Young
"Sweet Dreams (Of You)" Patsy Cline
"I Would Be Sad" The Avett Brothers
"Lonesome, On'ry and Mean" Waylon Jennings
"I Thought I Held You" Wilco
"I Threw It All Away" Bob Dylan
"Folsom Prison Blues & That's All Right" The International Submarine Band

I highly reccomend Elvis Costello's "Almost Blue" get the new (came out a few years ago) special edition with the bonus disc.  Wow

Also have to love Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" and anything Gram Parsons touched.