Country Music Legends

Started by dragonboy, Nov 05, 2005, 08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Very nice mix Prom King!!! Did you go for the live version of Lonesome, On'ry & Mean from Waylon Live? Great, great song! Are you are fan of Steve Young who wrote the song? Very underrated artist IMO...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

Cowboy Junkies and in particular their album Trinity Sessions, deserves some big props. That particular release helped kick-start the alt-country movement. Without it, Ryan Adams and Wilco (amongst many many others) would have sounded a hell of a lot different.

red

I've officially fallen head over (cowboy boot) heels for Steve Earle's Guitar Town.  Where should I go next?

dragonboy

QuoteI've officially fallen head over (cowboy boot) heels for Steve Earle's Guitar Town.  Where should I go next?
That's a bit of a tough one as none of his other albums sound much like Guitar Town. Maybe Copperhead Road, Train A Comin or I Feel Alright?
Exit O, the album that followed Guitar Town isn't as good (i had it on cassette years ago, don't have it any more) Copperhead Road is great, it's a little more 'rock' than Guitar Town but maybe it's the closest to his debut?
I really like The Hard Way, where Steve tried to be the boss for one album. A lot of fans don't like it but it's one of my favourites, maybe because it was my first Steve Earle album? He changed his style after The Hard Way, having got clean in prison.
Train A Comin & I Fell Alright, the 2 albums that followed soon after his release are both excellent.

dragonboy

Didn't have any Bobby Bare CDs until a couple of months back but I'm trying my best to catch up now...what a voice!!!

This superb 2for1 is my fav so far:

Any fans?

red

I picked up Waylon Live: The Expanded Edition last week and it hasn't left my player since.  Incredible stuff.  

dragonboy

QuoteI picked up Waylon Live: The Expanded Edition last week and it hasn't left my player since.  Incredible stuff.  
Good man K! Waylon is my 2nd fav vocalist of all time & that Live album is faultless, money well spent!!!

dragonboy

New Johnny Cash Documentary Oct 24th Biography Channel/DVD Oct 28

From SteveEarle.com:

Just like the rebellious rocker Johnny Cash, Steve has inspired a nation of millions to use its voice for change. So it comes as no surprise that Steve is one of the many interviewed guests featured on Johnny Cash's America, a two-hour documentary premiering on the Biography Channel on Thursday, October 23 at 9 pm EDT with an encore on Friday, October 24 at 10 pm EDT.

The documentary features an unprecedented wealth of rare material, including never-before-seen footage and photos, and proves that the truth about people is always more entertaining than the fiction. Johnny Cash's America will be released on CD/DVD on October 28 through Sony BMG's Legacy Recordings but if you're in New York City on Friday, October 17, you can check out a screening of this documentary at the Paley Center.

Jbones72

QuoteAny Michael Nesmith fans?

Something of a cult legend for me & certainly very famous due to his time in the Monkees.

I bought a Monkees box set a few years back & was very surprised & impressed by Mike's country solo stuff from the 70's.
Amazon.co.uk has a couple of 2for1 CDs:
Magnetic South/Loose Salute & And the Hits Just Keep on Comin'/Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash are both excellent.
Listen to tracks like Nine Times Blue, Calico Girlfriend, Listen To The Band, Some Of Shelly's Blues & If I Ever Get To Saginaw Again & thank me later!

And The Hits... is great, just him and the pedal steel  I've suprised many people when I put those 2 for 1 disc's on! If you haven't already check out Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band stuff.  
Gram Parsons is it for me, would have never gotten into MMJ without Gram!

dragonboy

QuoteAny Michael Nesmith fans?

Something of a cult legend for me & certainly very famous due to his time in the Monkees.

I bought a Monkees box set a few years back & was very surprised & impressed by Mike's country solo stuff from the 70's.
Amazon.co.uk has a couple of 2for1 CDs:
Magnetic South/Loose Salute & And the Hits Just Keep on Comin'/Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash are both excellent.
Listen to tracks like Nine Times Blue, Calico Girlfriend, Listen To The Band, Some Of Shelly's Blues & If I Ever Get To Saginaw Again & thank me later!

And The Hits... is great, just him and the pedal steel  I've suprised many people when I put those 2 for 1 disc's on! If you haven't already check out Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band stuff.  
Gram Parsons is it for me, would have never gotten into MMJ without Gram!
Finally someone else who appreciates Mike Nesmith! Good for you  JBones!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'll def check out Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band...thanks for the tip!

Jbones72

You should download Rick Nelson Live In Concert on Amazon.com, it's the first show's with the SCB at the Troubadour in 1969. It's been out of print on cd for years!

It's amazing how all that great "country-rock" stuff from the early 70's is unknown today!

dragonboy

This album is SO good!!!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fzfexqw5ldke

Gene Clark's 1971 platter, with its stark black cover featuring his silhouette illuminated by the sun, was dubbed White Light -- though the words never appear on the cover -- and if ever a title fit a record, it's this one. Over its nine original tracks, it has established itself as one of the greatest singer/songwriter albums ever made. After leaving the Byrds in 1966, recording with the Gosdin Brothers, and breaking up the Dillard & Clark group that was a pioneering country-rock outfit, Clark took time to hone his songwriting to its barest essentials. The focus on these tracks is intense, they are taut and reflect his growing obsession with country music. Produced by the late guitarist Jesse Ed Davis (who also worked with Taj Mahal, Leon Russell, Link Wray, and poet John Trudell, among others), Clark took his songs to his new label with confidence and they supported him. The band is comprised of Flying Burrito Brothers' bassist Chris Ethridge, the then-Steve Miller Band-pianist (and future jazz great) Ben Sidran, organist Michael Utley, and drummer Gary Mallaber. Clark's writing, as evidenced on "The Virgin," the title cut, "For a Spanish Guitar," "One in a Hundred," and "With Tomorrow," reveals a stark kind of simplicity in his lines. Using melodies mutated out of country, and revealing that he was the original poet and architect of the Byrds' sound on White Light, Clark created a wide open set of tracks that are at once full of space, a rugged gentility, and are harrowingly intimate in places. His reading of Bob Dylan's "Tears of Rage," towards the end of the record rivals, if not eclipses, the Band's. Less wrecked and ravaged, Clark's song is more a bewildered tome of resignation to a present and future in the abyss. Now this is classic rock.

Jbones72

Totally Agree!!! White Light and the first Dillard & Clark are his best solo stuff!  This is a really good book about the whole c.r. era, I alway's go back to it to find artist's and album's to check out!

Desperados-The History Of Country Rock by John Einarson

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0815410654/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

dragonboy

QuoteTotally Agree!!! White Light and the first Dillard & Clark are his best solo stuff!  This is a really good book about the whole c.r. era, I alway's go back to it to find artist's and album's to check out!

Desperados-The History Of Country Rock by John Einarson

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0815410654/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
I tried to order the book but it's out of print! Any other recommendations? Uncut had 4 or 5 excellent articles on Country Rock a few months ago...Nashville Skyline, The Byrds, Gene Clark, Gram & Mike Nesmith!!!

You seem to know your stuff Jbones, do you have an Steve Young? He's one of my fav artists...Willis Alan Ramsey? Mickey Newbury?

This one is currently selling for $250 @ amazon.com!!!

This one is still available, a must-buy classic IMO!

Currently unavailable but there's an excellent boxset out there...

Jbones72

Sorry didn't realize it was out of print, should have also mentioned that the same author also wrote a great book about Gene Clark called Mr. Tambourine Man- and has a new book about the Flying Burrito Brothers out soon written with Chris Hillmen

I have Steve Young's best of cd-  like it a lot... the other 2 I will put on my list to check out! Thanks for the info.

dragonboy

There are times when this man & only this man will do. Today was one of those days...a couple of songs in & I'm feeling better already...Willie Nelson is a living legend, the last of a dying breed & I love his music dearly!

Hawkeye

Going to see Ol' Willie on December 4th...can't wait!!!  
We could.

dragonboy

QuoteGoing to see Ol' Willie on December 4th...can't wait!!!  
Very jealous! He was in my UK hometown of Reading a few years back. Nobody plays Reading (it's only 30-40mins from London) but Willie Nelson?!! That man just keeps on going  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Please let us know your thoughts after the show...

dragonboy

I might like this more than White Light...

Either way, they're 2 amazing albums!