Van Morrison - Moondance

Started by EC, Mar 13, 2007, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazylove

How did I miss this thread?  There is no other like Van Morrison. (No offense Jim)

I completely wore out the "Blowin' your Mind" album, (I'm talking vinyl) and "Astral Weeks."  Had to save my allowance so I could buy new ones.

The man is a musical genius.  I have been listening to him for 30 years and I'm still not bored.

Moondance is brilliant, not one loser song on it.(In my humble opinion) Of course there is a great song on this album called Crazy Love :exclamation

But there is also:

Into the Music
Best of Van(1970)
Veedon Fleece
It's too Late to Stop Now
Saint Dominics Preview
Tupelo Honey
His Band and Street Choir
Avalon Sunset
Day's Like This
The Best of..........Volume 1(one of my top picks)
The Best of..........Volume 2(another of my faves)
The list goes on and on..................It's too impossible to pick just one!

Van, you are the Man!!!
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

MyLifeISought

Astral Weeks > Moondance
But Moondance still=great
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

dragonboy

Tupelo Honey re-released this month (along with  It's Too Late To Stop Now, Wavelength, Into The Music, A Sense Of Wonder, Avalon Sunset, Back On Top)
with Saint Dominic's Preview, Veedon Fleece etc to follow later in the year!!! About time too!

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

crazylove

QuoteTupelo Honey re-released this month (along with  It's Too Late To Stop Now, Wavelength, Into The Music, A Sense Of Wonder, Avalon Sunset, Back On Top)
with Saint Dominic's Preview, Veedon Fleece etc to follow later in the year!!! About time too!

Thanks for the EXTREMELY important update concerning the new releases.  I am very excited about the news, especially Wavelength and Into the Music. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Finally, news worth posting about!(Since there is only speculation concerning MMJ!)
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

ManNamedTruth

QuoteTupelo Honey re-released this month (along with  It's Too Late To Stop Now, Wavelength, Into The Music, A Sense Of Wonder, Avalon Sunset, Back On Top)

Thanks for the EXTREMELY important update concerning the new releases.  I am very excited about the news, especially Wavelength and Into the Music. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Finally, news worth posting about!(Since there is only speculation concerning MMJ!)

I don't know if i'd call it speculation, looks like a new one by at least June.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

QuoteThanks for the EXTREMELY important update concerning the new releases.  I am very excited about the news, especially Wavelength and Into the Music.
You're very welcome CL  :)

I read your previous post, obviously you're a big fan. Which are your fav albums?
I only have Astral Weeks, Moondance & His Band & The Street Choir & like them in that order. I've pre-ordered Tupelo Honey, Into The Music & It's Too Late To Stop Now from the first batch of re-releases, good choices?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

TheBigChicken

Hey DB if you send me a PM I'll send you ALL of VM's stuff on disc ;) .....for  FREEEEEE
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

crazylove

QuoteHey DB if you send me a PM I'll send you ALL of VM's stuff on disc ;) .....for  FREEEEEE

Hey rccola,

I know I'm not a big shot like DB, but I am a HUGE Van Morrison fan.  What do I have to do to get on your good side so that I can get the discs too?  

Won't you share the love, please? [smiley=happy.gif]

crazylove

QuoteThanks for the EXTREMELY important update concerning the new releases.  I am very excited about the news, especially Wavelength and Into the Music.
You're very welcome CL  :)

I read your previous post, obviously you're a big fan. Which are your fav albums?
I only have Astral Weeks, Moondance & His Band & The Street Choir & like them in that order. I've pre-ordered Tupelo Honey, Into The Music & It's Too Late To Stop Now from the first batch of re-releases, good choices?

You are correct, DB, I am a big fan of Van the Man.  As I said before, I wore out the vinyls as a teenager, and by the way, I still have most of them, even though they are
not playable.
When I first heard Van, I didn't know what to think.  There had been so much Elvis(saw all of the movies as a kid, and of course was in love with him!), Beach Boys, and even the Beatles that his sound was so new and unique that I wasn't sure about him.  But his beautiful, poetic lyrics blew me away.
My first album was AstralWeeks and I would say that is still my favorite(although I don't have it on disc).  I also love Moondance and Into the Music. There is no way you can go wrong with anything you get.  The only negative thing I have to say is there are often repeats of songs on some of the albums(Sorry, I'm old school, and I'm reminded of this by my teenage son!).
I'm really happy to see that younger music lovers are finding out about Van and that so many are realizing his genius.
Sorry, you got me going, which is very easy to do when it comes to Van.

Enjoy your discs from rccola.  I begged him for copies, too, so hopefully I will be listening along with you over here!

dragonboy

QuoteHey DB if you send me a PM I'll send you ALL of VM's stuff on disc ;) .....for  FREEEEEE
Thanks for the offer Rccola but I like to have the original & always buy my CDs  :)

What are your favs after Astral Weeks & Moondance?  

TheBigChicken

Hey rccola,

I know I'm not a big shot like DB, but I am a HUGE Van Morrison fan.  What do I have to do to get on your good side so that I can get the discs too?  

Won't you share the love, please? [smiley=happy.gif]
Don't worry C Love were all BIG SHOTS.....Just send me a PM and we'll go from there :)

TheBigChicken

Thanks for the offer Rccola but I like to have the original & always buy my CDs  :)

What are your favs after Astral Weeks & Moondance?  
This is kinda hard to find but after those maybe A Period Of Transition....Dr John's on that album ;)

dragonboy

Anybody else enjoying the Van Morrison reissues?

Veedon Fleece is excellent, quite possibly my 3rd fav Van album after Astral Weeks & Moondance!

Still need to buy It's Too Late To Stop Now...

Looking forward to St Dominic's due early next year (Jan, I think...)

rob

QuoteAnybody else enjoying the Van Morrison reissues?

Veedon Fleece is excellent, quite possibly my 3rd fav Van album after Astral Weeks & Moondance!

Veedon Fleece is amazing! Someone turned me on to it last year, and the original CD was out of print, so I bought the re-issue a few months ago. Incredible album. I can SO hear Jim James doing Who Was That Masked Man. Also love Moondance and Astral. Need to also get Common One yet.

BTW, Van's doing two Astral Weeks (entire album) concerts at the Hollywood Bowl in November for a future DVD release.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

capt. scotty

Veedon Fleece is amazing! Someone turned me on to it last year, and the original CD was out of print, so I bought the re-issue a few months ago. Incredible album. I can SO hear Jim James doing Who Was That Masked Man. Also love Moondance and Astral. Need to also get Common One yet.

BTW, Van's doing two Astral Weeks (entire album) concerts at the Hollywood Bowl in November for a future DVD release.

Nice..Dont have Veedon Fleece but I guess I should

For awhile now, 'Tupelo Honey' has been my favorite Van song, but I dont have that album (I think its 1 or 2 albums after Moondance, but not sure)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

the_wizzard

Nice..Dont have Veedon Fleece but I guess I should

For awhile now, 'Tupelo Honey' has been my favorite Van song, but I dont have that album (I think its 1 or 2 albums after Moondance, but not sure)
Veedon Fleece and Tupelo Honey are beautiful essentials to any music collection.......
So how do the reissues sound?  Should I justify repurchasing CD's that I already own?  Did they reissue to vinyl  :D :D :D?

dragonboy

The remastered CDs sound good. I was hoping for a few more bonus tracks but they were really cheap so I shouldn't complain.

I would love to have remastered copies of Astral Wks & Moondance but I read that Warner Bros own the rights & are involved in a legal battle with Van The Man...

Here are my current rankings:

Astral Weeks
Moondance
Veedon Fleece
Tupelo Honey
His Band & The Street Choir

TheBigChicken

Also...A Period Of Transition, Enlightenment,The Healing Game,Days Like This,Laughing In The Wind,Naked In The Jungle.....Those last 2 I mentioned are extremely hard to find.....Yes at one point in my life VAN WAS THE MAN 8-)

Penny Lane

just saw this!

there should be a thread just for 'into the mystic' one of the greatest songs of all time....VM is such great break-up music, too. i almost never play it when i'm happy. 'crazy love' is probably my second fave VM song.

I think Astral Weeks HAS to be played as a whole--just put it on and let it go :-)--whereas MD can stand up song by song.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

crazylove

QuoteThe remastered CDs sound good. I was hoping for a few more bonus tracks but they were really cheap so I shouldn't complain.

I would love to have remastered copies of Astral Wks & Moondance but I read that Warner Bros own the rights & are involved in a legal battle with Van The Man...

Here are my current rankings:

Astral Weeks
Moondance
Veedon Fleece
Tupelo Honey
His Band & The Street Choir

DB,  It's good to have you back.  I'm so happy that were able to find the new releases.  Isn't Astral Weeks amazing? and Moondance? and Tupelo Honey? and Veedon Fleece and I could go on and on.  Can you believe that Teo is not a fan of VM?  I can't figure that out, although his brother is a huge fan too.  Anyhoo, good to see you back and still groovin' to Van the Man. :)