your favorite guitarist out there right now..

Started by GoGoGadgetFunk, Oct 29, 2008, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grateful Chabo

what guitarist have you seen recently that is rockin your socks off harder than anyone else?  Let me hear your thoughts...

for me is jimmy herring...everytime i hear him i go crazy.  just pure amazement
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

xmascriminal

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tomEisenbraun

Does Jimmy Page still count as "out there"?

If not, I'll go with Mr. M. Ward. Hot damn, that man's fingers.

Johnny Greenwood is also a phenomenal son of a bitch, but I think he almost counts more as "guitar orchestrator" than "guitarist". The man's a genius.

Also really digging on Annie Clark's work inside of St. Vincent. That girl is incredibly gifted in a way that is quite subtle but genuinely strong. I like that subtle approach to genius, much like M. Ward. Things are perfectly placed and so well put together that you can almost not hear it the first time around and just enjoy the music for being so beautiful. Going back and listening to the instruments a second time through, you come along the realization that the music is beautiful because the instrumentation behind it is absolutely incredible, but not overstated. I can dig on that.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

capt. scotty

QuoteJohn Butler, my favorite ever.

JB Trio is amazing. Im anxiously awaiting their next album bc Grand National is 1 of the best examples of an album I can think of that both stays true to the bands original sound while also being very accessible to ppl who have never heard of JBT
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

weeniebeenie

JB Trio is amazing. Im anxiously awaiting their next album bc Grand National is 1 of the best examples of an album I can think of that both stays true to the bands original sound while also being very accessible to ppl who have never heard of JBT
Have you guys seen this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZw9D9c18E

First time I saw it my jaw dropped.
How loud can silence get?

tomEisenbraun

Have you guys seen this:

Shit. Apparently this is the guitarist I've been trying to become on my acoustic without even knowing it. Man.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ItStillJaimoe

I'm a guitarist and I like many from every era, but of the newer generation, I like Buckethead, Jack White, Derek Trucks, Ian Person & Mattias Bärjed from The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, Jim James, Dan Auerbach, Jeff Tweedy, Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring, although the latter two are from an older generation (nice guys though).

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

oh, and porl thomson who is back with the cure (finally!)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

TheBigChicken

Have you guys seen this:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :oWOW
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Penny Lane

QuoteJohnny Marr will forever be my favorite.

wow, ghosts!! nice.

i like lindsay buckingham--

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold99

QuoteI'm a guitarist and I like many from every era, but of the newer generation, I like Buckethead, Jack White, Derek Trucks, Ian Person & Mattias Bärjed from The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, Jim James, Dan Auerbach, Jeff Tweedy, Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring, although the latter two are from an older generation (nice guys though).

I like a lot of these guys...good call...but if your going to talk about tweedy you have to mention Nels Cline from Wilco..the man is God...Love Jack White and Dan from the Keys...I'll also throw in Joe Bonamassa for the new blues generation, and of course M Ward.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

bold99

Oh two people I have to add...Jackie Greene and Larry Campbell.   Especially when playing together, they are amazing....Larry can play just about anything, his last three gigs have been with Dylan, Levon Helm and Phil lesh...not bad.  Jackie is amazing.

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Penny Lane

they say if Tommy Bolin hadn't died so young, he would have been the next Jimmy Hendrix....he's got a huge cult following
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Hawkeye

All good mentions so far.  For the old school Buddy Guy is still out there and kickin' it.  Tim Reynolds is also quite amazing on the electric geetah...see him with DMB if you get the chance.  I've only seen a few clips of his solo or other stuff and it was quite weird
We could.

bold99

QuoteAll good mentions so far.  For the old school Buddy Guy is still out there and kickin' it.  Tim Reynolds is also quite amazing on the electric geetah...see him with DMB if you get the chance.  I've only seen a few clips of his solo or other stuff and it was quite weird

Awesome call...Buddy Guy is just the best.  He can still play...I think Clapton is the one who said it, that they all learned from Buddy, including Hendrix who used to go to Buddy shows and ask him if he could copy his moves.  I've seen Buddy so many times, and he never fails to entertain.  One of the few true bluesmen left.

tower

Buddy Guy is a beast...only performer I've seen tell the crowd to be totally quiet (including two women just sitting and talking) so he could play these fantastically cool subtle notes at a very low volume.   Took the crowd and put us in his palm...very cool.

Doyle Bramhall II can rip it as well...played with Arc Angels years ago but more recently with Clapton and Roger Waters on their tours.  His Dad was a co-writer with Stevie Ray on a bunch of songs.

Acoustically I used to be really into Monte Montgomery, that dude can swing!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

purvis9876

I don't play guitar, but I know this guy has got to be at the top of people's lists.  ;D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8OAnSC-zw[/media]
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.