Nick Cave Appreciation Thread

Started by ratsprayer, Oct 01, 2005, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

QuoteSo what's everyone's fav album?
Nobody? C'mon on! I'm excited about the new album, indulge me!

One of the 5 or so very funny promo clips for Dig! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbMPLX9cE4
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MarkW

No More Shall We Part is my favourite, but then again it was the first one I bought.  Really looking forward to DLG.  Great writeup in today's Observer:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/reviews/story/0,,2256207,00.html
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

red

The Boatman's Call is my favourite.  "People Ain't No Good" is one of my favourite songs ever.  Aside from that I've only got Murder Ballads, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus and the Grinderman album though.  I've been meaning to get Let Love In for what seems like a long time, I'll make sure to grab it when I hit the city in March.  

Can't wait for the new one.  I just know "Jesus of the Moon" is going to be amazing.   ;D

MarkW

QuoteThe Boatman's Call is my favourite.  "People Ain't No Good" is one of my favourite songs ever.  Aside from that I've only got Murder Ballads, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus and the Grinderman album though.  I've been meaning to get Let Love In for what seems like a long time, I'll make sure to grab it when I hit the city in March.  

Can't wait for the new one.  I just know "Jesus of the Moon" is going to be amazing.   ;D

Boatman's Call is also excellent.  And Grinderman. In fact, Nick's been pretty consistently excellent for aeons... I was just late in picking up on him.

Hey, K, how's things?  Nothing frozen and dropped off, I hope.  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

red

QuoteHey, K, how's things?  Nothing frozen and dropped off, I hope.  ;)
Haha, everything is thankfully intact!  Yesterday it was unseasonably warm and it was wonderful, but today it's back to the deep freeze, of course.  

I'm lounging around, trying to clean up my room (not going so well) and going to do some reading hopefully.  Tomorrow is a holiday (Family Day - wtf?) so I'm pretty pumped about a long weekend.  

How's things to the far right?  

MarkW

QuoteHow's things to the far right?  

I hope the reference is geographical rather than political!  ;)

All's going well in the UK (you know, apart from banks going bust and everyone obsessing about house prices going down).

Starting to look forward to a nice run of gigs: Supergrass (maybe), Jose Gonzalez, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds*, ATP festival (unbelievable lineup), The Boss, Radiohead; and the clocks go forward in a few weeks.  NICE!

* for Paauwe - don't want to go off topic...

dragonboy

QuoteThe Boatman's Call is my favourite.  "People Ain't No Good" is one of my favourite songs ever.  Aside from that I've only got Murder Ballads, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus and the Grinderman album though.  I've been meaning to get Let Love In for what seems like a long time, I'll make sure to grab it when I hit the city in March.
Yeah you need Let Love In! I would also recommend Tender Prey, Henry's Dream & No More Shall We Part to add to what you've already got.
They won't ship for a while but I just ordered Kicking Against The Pricks & Live Seeds.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

QuoteIt's all here: http://www.myspace.com/nickcaveandthebadseeds
Cheers K! My copy won't ship for a little while yet (end of March with the new Supergrass) so i might have to give this a listen...

red

"More News From Nowhere" might just be my favourite song of '08.  

dragonboy

Quote"More News From Nowhere" might just be my favourite song of '08.  
Have you listened to the whole thing? I'm trying to hold out. I changed my order & went for the deluxe edition, should have it in a couple of weeks...

red

QuoteHave you listened to the whole thing? I'm trying to hold out. I changed my order & went for the deluxe edition, should have it in a couple of weeks...
I've listened to three or four tracks - all wonderful.  I'm trying to stay (somewhat) strong!   ;D

dragonboy

I wish there was a date for the US version (Grinderman was a month or so later if I remember correctly)
The dollar & Yen are pretty good friends right now but the Pound & the Yen `uckin hate each other!

red

Db, you've got to listen to "More News..."

Come on, you know you want to cave in...  ;)

dragonboy

If I give it a spin then you've got to buy Let Love In!!!

Excellent track, now I want to listen to the whole album  >:( ;)

red

QuoteIf I give it a spin then you've got to buy Let Love In!!!

Excellent track, now I want to listen to the whole album  >:( ;)
It's already on my list to buy when I hit the city at the end of the month!   8-)

MarkW

I'm really enjoying it.  Jesus of the Moon is beautiful.  More News from Nowhere is also fantastic.

dragonboy

Does anybody have the deluxe edition? I just got mine in the post & I'm 99% sure my booklet has a printing error, lots of blank pages & no photos  >:(

MarkW

QuoteDoes anybody have the deluxe edition? I just got mine in the post & I'm 99% sure my booklet has a printing error, lots of blank pages & no photos  >:(

Hmmmm - yes, mine too.  Only pics are inside front and rear cover.  Blank pages (although page numbering continues as if there were something on them), and only "writings" are the lyrics.

There is a general sense of "underwhelmedness" on a couple of the Cave boards I've visited...

dragonboy

QuoteDoes anybody have the deluxe edition? I just got mine in the post & I'm 99% sure my booklet has a printing error, lots of blank pages & no photos  >:(

Hmmmm - yes, mine too.  Only pics are inside front and rear cover.  Blank pages (although page numbering continues as if there were something on them), and only "writings" are the lyrics.

There is a general sense of "underwhelmedness" on a couple of the Cave boards I've visited...
Thanks Mark. So maybe that's how it's supposed to be then? Bit cheeky charging extra & calling it a 'deluxe edition' if that's the case...that or they all got printed incorrectly?